Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tips for AA's US - CGK Flight from hell

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite

Like a number of FAAnatics, I am doing the LAX-NRT-CGK and back run 12/6 to 12/8 including the NRT-CGK leg without PE. If recent flyers on this route can help with:

On the AA #169 leg to NRT: did you attempt to use an SWU/Mile+copay?
did it clear?
what was your status?

For the NRT-CGK legs on JAL 729/720 (763):

Were you able thru AA to request an aisle seat, or something in the bulkhead/exit row?

Any tips to survive these legs?

Were you able to get a boarding pass for the CGK-NRT leg while in NRT?

If not, did you sleep in the terminal or use the airport hotel?

Same for the way back: any information on upgrades clearing, best seats, food, drink, or anything else to surviving this odyssey would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am in CGK getting ready to start my return trip in about an hour. Overall - this MR is not too bad to be honest. Beats doing 8 domestic flights zig zagging across the country. My observations and answers to your questions..

My routing was PIT-CLT-FLL (separate ticket) then FLL-DFW-NRT-CGK. Now will be doing CGK-NRT-LAX-PIT.

I applied a SWU for the outbound and did not clear. Wound up #6 on the list out of 15 and only the top three cleared. The EXP in my row was #8. Since most of us booked this trip close in I suspect upgrade clearing will be a little of challenge although from my understanding LAX-NRT is generally easier than the other hubs given the number of flights/capacity between LAX-NRT. It also helps you are doing this trip midweek.

I was lucky to have the middle seat open on DFW-NRT, so that made the flight considerably more comfortable. Watched three movies, had two meals and a mid-flight snack service (the meals were edible, but the mid-flight sandwich barf).

For seat assignments on JAL, AA won't be able to manually select seats for you, it is all auto generated and if you don't like your seat then you have to talk to a JAL representative when you get to NRT. That was probably the most frustrating part for me. I was assigned 60A which was the fourth to last row and when I got to NRT almost everything was booked up, but 49K opened up so I grabbed that one. One warning, the JL seats IMHO are very uncomfortable as it is VERY firm with almost no padding on the back. The pitch is alright, not very roomy, but my knees weren't jammed into the seat in front of me (I am 6 ft). JL meals are a bit extensive (lots of food) and they only served one meal on the 8 hour flight to CGK.

Since I was planning on staying in the CGK hotel, I didn't bother getting my return BP at NRT.

For my return flight, the CGK-NRT flight has a very light load so was able to secure 16A and that is helpful since I have 1h20m connection in NRT.

A few things, although you will have six hours on the ground, immigration took me around 45 minutes and JL boards their flights very close to departure (20 minutes before departure) and if your flight is full - it won't depart on time and JL doesn't pad their schedule. We arrived in CGK 30 minutes late plus immigration, so I didn't get to the CGK hotel until 1:30am.

I would highly advise booking the CGK hotel in advance if feasible. They tried to make me pay more saying oh we only have an executive room left for 925,000 IDR when the rolling information board right behind the counter clearly states overnight rooms for 725,000 IDR. I just told them I am only here for 3 hours and we "compromised" at 725,000 for the night. That is around $53, which is a tad bit steep IMHO. Last year I spend a night at the Ibis (overnighting before flying to Medan) which is much nicer and was only $42. However, you can't beat the convenience of the CGK hotel given it was only 5 minutes walk to the JAL check in counters and no dealing with negotiating with drivers.

I am still waitlisted for NRT-LAX (down to J6)... Hopefully for once luck will be on my side otherwise I'll have more failed SWUs than success this year NRT-ORD is delayed by 3 hours so that is not good as this might mean some customers will get rebooked onto my flight.... I failed on FLL-DFW too and LAX-PIT isn't looking good unless my SWU clears on NRT-LAX which I can snag A space.

All in all, best advice I can give is just sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight. There are quite few good movies on the IFE. Maybe bring a feather pillow and a light blanket (AA's pillow and blanket in Y sucks - JL's blanket is nice though) and dress down. Don't bother wearing collared shirts or looking "sharp". Dress as comfortably as possible. Maybe bring a favorite snack or two.

Make the most of the F lounges during your layovers too. Shower on as many layovers as possible as that really makes a difference.

Best of luck on your trip and enjoy!

Last edited by golfingboy; Dec 4, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Thank you golfingboy! Fantastic information!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Data point: my miles+copay cleared today @ t-36h for the Tuesday Dec 6 flight LAX-NRT (AA169) went rom 26D to 3H as an AA Platinum (68k mi) ticket purchased Nov 27. FYI, I saw that the Dec 6 DFW-NRT flight had 2 in the "C" bucket available per expertflyer.com.

Last edited by shawn67; Dec 5, 2016 at 12:50 am
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:55 pm

My return, NRT-LAX, barely cleared. There were 18 on the list, I was #5 for 5 open seats. Some EXPs didn't clear from what I observed.

This also helped me get an edge on my LAX-PIT connecting flight as it was down to F2 (F0 for weeks then apparently someone cancelled at T-36).

Nice to fly in comfort as I wrap up this run.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

On flight to LAX as I type. For these legs I've been lucky so far...already upgraded to business for LAX->NRT AA169 and just found out for AA8499 (JAL729) NRT-CGK I got 15C which I think is the bulkhead row aisle seat on the 763. Already booked my room for the Jakarta Airport Hotel. Going to try to rest as much as possible on these legs-I have no illusions about being so lucky on the return.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
JL SEATS:
The first time I did this, I routed through ORD and used the JL counter in the AC. However, since you're exLAX (had to do it ), perhaps try to hit up the JL counter there before your trip to see if they can assign you out?

Also, I have not done a midweek, but my other experience with the Saturday JL729 was asking at the gate in NRT, and they were able to assign a seat in the middle section near the rear of coach with no one else in it. The plan was to raise the armrests and sleep as much as possible. Unfortunately, the way the seatbelts are arranged they dig into your back making it so you have to brace yourself by wedging an arm out or using a leg. Works for a bit until there are a few bumps which dislodge you, the rinse/repeat for 7 hours.

MEALS
JL meals were pretty good actually. The miso soup is like a sleep elixir.

Overall, this is not as grueling as it may seem to some. And I agree with golfingboy that it's better than the same # of EQMs on many more "shorter-haul" segments. As uncomfortable as it is to be stuck in a coach seat for that long, it beats having to change planes more often and chance an irrop, with the domino effect.

Best of luck with the quick turns in CGK! I do not envy you guys that do it. I prefer the JL726 on the return to rest up before the trek back the other way. Nicer hotel, work out, massage, proper meals, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Any recommedations on when I should leave the CGK Airport hotel to clear customs etc, in time to board the 6:45am flight (JAL720)?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PLat
took JAL #720 @ 645 12/6

just got back to from Jakarta 12/6 . stayed in Thamrin city for 2 days ( have friends/know city ) Jakarta is worse traffic Ive ever seen ( havent been to India) (all seasons hotel) decent for price/location (62$ total a night) left at 445 am(was concerned about traffic) took 30 min to get to airport ( no traffic) fare and tolls +tip 200k rupiah 16$ . checked in at 520 am, sitting in lounge thru customs by 540 am . lounge is nothing special ( used Garuda lounge ,right near gate) no alcohol is visible .
#720 was 1/2 full had whole middle row in back to lay , watched movies most of way . 2 hrs in narita used sakura (jal lounge)( great ) but ran into AA lounge for a few min right before flight , food spread was actually more appealing in AA lounge .

all in all, just woke up Wednesday after flying for 50 hrs since sat at 9 am , feeling pretty good ( going to gym now) . helped a lot having some time in Jakarta and getting some sleep on flight back. rather do one big run than 3 full days of trips ( but im pretty flexible)
645 am JAL flight #720 is only choice ,if leave airport , not worth dealing with traffic to goto airport at another time. no reason to get there extra early ,lounge is subpar .
no wait at customs( theres a few flights to Singapore at that time but /first in line )
wouldnt want to deal with airport or craziness of jakarta any other time except first thing in am

Last edited by maspablo; Dec 7, 2016 at 10:19 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by maspablo
just got back to from Jakarta 12/6 . stayed in Thamrin city for 2 days ( have friends/know city ) Jakarta is worse traffic Ive ever seen ( havent been to India) (all seasons hotel) decent for price/location (62$ total a night) left at 445 am(was concerned about traffic) took 30 min to get to airport ( no traffic) fare and tolls +tip 200k rupiah 16$ . checked in at 520 am, sitting in lounge thru customs by 540 am . lounge is nothing special ( used Garuda lounge ,right near gate) no alcohol is visible .
#720 was 1/2 full had whole middle row in back to lay , watched movies most of way . 2 hrs in narita used sakura (jal lounge)( great ) but ran into AA lounge for a few min right before flight , food spread was actually more appealing in AA lounge .

all in all, just woke up Wednesday after flying for 50 hrs since sat at 9 am , feeling pretty good ( going to gym now) . helped a lot having some time in Jakarta and getting some sleep on flight back. rather do one big run than 3 full days of trips ( but im pretty flexible)
645 am JAL flight #720 is only choice ,if leave airport , not worth dealing with traffic to goto airport at another time. no reason to get there extra early ,lounge is subpar .
no wait at customs( theres a few flights to Singapore at that time but /first in line )
wouldnt want to deal with airport or craziness of jakarta any other time except first thing in am
From personal experience, Jakarta traffic is somehow, unbelievably, worse than Delhi or Bombay.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
2 hrs in narita used sakura (jal lounge)( great ) but ran into AA lounge for a few min right before flight , food spread was actually more appealing in AA lounge .
I like the Sakura Lounge a lot. Toss-up between it and AC actually.

all in all, just woke up Wednesday after flying for 50 hrs since sat at 9 am , feeling pretty good ( going to gym now) .
Exercise definitely helps recover from / prepare for long-hauls. Wish airports had workout facilities like they do places to eat/drink.

Might depend on the day of week. Only experience @ CGK is on Sundays and it has been easy. Also, JL was handing out passes to J/F & OW Sapphire/Emerald to the Emerald Sky Lounge. Instead of heading left to the Purah Indah (and other Priority Pass lounge), you go right past the Citibank lounge. I thought the food was decent there and was rather comfortable.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Typing from the airport hotel here in CGK. AC worked in the room after i too the plugged intake filters out! The hotel says I should be there at 4:45am for my 6:45 am flight. That seem too early for a time of the day during a part of the week that seems slow. Flight to CGK was relatively easy I had the entire center section of row 15 to myself.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by shawn67
Typing from the airport hotel here in CGK. AC worked in the room after i too the plugged intake filters out! The hotel says I should be there at 4:45am for my 6:45 am flight. That seem too early for a time of the day during a part of the week that seems slow. Flight to CGK was relatively easy I had the entire center section of row 15 to myself.
The walk from the JL check-in counters to the gate is longer than the walk from the hotel to the JL check in counters

It wasn't more than 30-35 minutes for me from the hotel to the lounge and that was with a starbucks stop.

With that said, I think the absolute latest you can leave the hotel is maybe 5:35-5:40 to be at the JL counters one hour before departure. This is pushing it for me personally, but very doable.

CGK is one of those places where the domestic terminal is much more crazy than the international terminal. I do hope I don't have to fly on Lionair/Batik air out of CGK again in the future.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Just got back from a GGG-DFW-HKG-CGK-NRT-DFW-GGG run.

GGG flight check in was rough because the Gate Agent was completely flustered by a multi-airline itinerary. Took 20 minutes to actually check me in and many "you are only staying 12 hours" looks.

DFW to HKG on Saturday after Thanksgiving, I was a PLT with 2.6M miles and I was 24 on the list. 3-4 people cleared the list before I boarded. I was originally in a second row of the main cabin seat, but an elderly gentleman was lifting a heavy carry on, and the flight attendants were too short to lift it up for him, so I stood up and helped. About 4 minutes later, the short flight attendant came up and thanked me and asked if I would like some more leg room and was put on the exit row, I think 31J. That was wonderful for 17 hours. I am not sure I would have made it. They had wifi nearly the whole time, and for $20 that was perfect to compliment plenty of movies and some sleep.

HKG - 6 hour layover, I have a friend who is an expat there, so I got off the plane, rallied... took the express downtown had a couple brews and food with him and headed back.

HKG-CGK - Other than realizing this flight was netting me 0 points, and zero EQMs, it was a midnight flight, I had a few beers and dinner, and needless to say don't remember a thing. I woke myself up snoring a couple times, which I never normally do... so being over tired along with beers means I was "that guy". Apologies to anyone on that flight. I didn't get to pre-check in, but I got a seat with a block next to it, so a relatively full flight left me with the one open seat next to it. No Platinum recognition or anything useful.

CGK - Landed at 4am. Original intent of the trip was to mileage run and do some Brazilian JiuJitsu. There was a 6am class and a 12 noon class in downtown, so I decided to book a day hotel at 4pts Sheraton in Jakarta. When I landed, it was a near monsoon, and the person I was scheduled to meet had texted to tell me the gym was closed. The problem was I was already in the taxi on my way to the 4points, or I would have aborted that mission and stayed near the airport.
Here is the long and short of it... If you have less than 4 hours, skip going into Jakarta, or all you will see is a taxi.
4-9 hours, you are risking it... I would pay slightly more for a day hotel stay out close to the airport. It took me close to 2 hours to go 12 miles to the airport. Jakarta traffic is ridiculous.

CGK-NRT on JAL - CGK airport staff for JAL does not open but 2 hours before the flight and there is no seating or waiting to check in. Definitely get someone to print out your boarding pass before you go for the return flight so you can get back into the airport, or don't show back up before 2 hours. The lounge are contract lounges, nothing to write home about, so I would go for a day hotel if you want to relax for a few hours.

JAL did recognize me as OW Sapphire, let me check in on the first class check in, and gave me passes to the contract lounges. Nothing special, so no need to hang out or stay more than 2 hours.

CGK-NRT - I was upgraded to a window Exit Row without prompting. I had several JAL staff members in the waiting area approach me while waiting as I am 6'3 and ask to see my boarding pass. Each of them then said, oh ok good, you are tall I wanted to make sure you had a good seat. Very nice of them. Staff on the flight was superb, but I agree with the poster above that JAL seats in Y are a little firmer than most. Again, I was in Exit Row, so no problems. Landed at NRT before the Admiral's club opened, so I walked around a completely closed airport from 6am to 7:30am.

NRT Admirals' Club... pretty basic. I took a quick shower, and then ate breakfast for about 1.5 hours until I headed to my gate. Make sure you check in at the Admirals' Club though, as the person did add some sort of VIP to my record. I ended up getting the upgrade on the flight home.

NRT-DFW - I was upgraded, after being 7 out of 15 on the list. They called my name 4th, so I am not sure how, but I was the fourth out of 7 to be upgraded, and I didn't argue. I don't know if that is from using a buddy's SWU or from me being nice to the AC AAngel... but I boarded immediately before the checked!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLat
[QUOTE]Might depend on the day of week. Only experience @ CGK is on Sundays and it has been easy. Also, JL was handing out passes to J/F & OW Sapphire/Emerald to the Emerald Sky Lounge. Instead of heading left to the Purah Indah (and other Priority Pass lounge), you go right past the Citibank lounge. I thought the food was decent there and was rather comfortable./QUOTE]

Emerald sky lounge was what i used , right near gate for JAL #720 , good enuff but not a thought compared to NRT or HKG .

From personal experience, Jakarta traffic is somehow, unbelievably, worse than Delhi or Bombay.
couldnt imagine anything worse , but who knows , had a driver pull a fast one on me at rush hour drove in a circle ,no more than 1/2 mile , wasted 45 minutes of my time . took advantage of "bule" hard not to get in his face , i cursed him and thru 30 k rupiah (2.25$) at him 1/2 the the 60 k fare !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.