Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run in 2016? Poll

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This is the discussion thread for the 2016 "Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run This Year" poll.

Please take the poll by clicking here - and then join in the discussion below.
Print Wikipost

Did You Do a Mileage Run or Mattress Run in 2016? Poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Zero mileage runs and zero mattress runs in 2016.

I did mattress runs in 2015 for HH Diamond status. Never again will I chase airline status; nothing airline status offers that I value cannot be replicated by just buying first class.

I no longer care much about airline or hotel status. I will continue to buy first/business class tickets and I will stay in the hotels I like best, with loyalty program affiliation being only a tertiary consideration.

Loyalty (and mileage running) is for chumps!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:19 pm

This year I did the final mileage run of my life. I finally made "Million Miler" status and will be happy to stay Gold for the rest of my life. No more unnecessary flights, no more being stuck on United for every flight. Now I'm going to spread out and enjoy the other Star Alliance member airlines. Free at last!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I used to do many Mile and Mattress runs. Probably should have stopped a few years ago, but hung in there until 2015. None this year and I foresee no more in the future.

Last edited by schriste; Dec 5, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
None for me this year. Already attained too many statuses this year. By far my heaviest year yet.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
From 2007-2014 I did at least a couple every single year. With revenue based programs and dwindling benefits for actually being elite, I just vote with my wallet. I've already booked on two new airlines for upcoming trips and I'm trying to use up all my remaining miles as quickly as possible too.

Chris
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA: EXP / AS:MVP75k / Hilton: Gold / Marriott Gold
I did two last year to the Caribbean. In hindsight, they weren't worth it, but i'm new to the points hobby and was really excited to book a first class winter trip.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
No runs for me in 15 or 16.

I am not opposed, but I am too far away for a realistic mattress run this year. 10 nights short is a bit much.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:54 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The only thing close to a mileage run I've ever done is to do a multi-stop on UA versus a direct flight in LH in order to accumulate BIS miles. I've now traveled enough that I have LT GS on UA and LT Platinum at Marriott/SPG so no more worries for me or my wife, thanks to the UA wife (partner) status MM matching benefit.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ayton
Valid point, but what about Dollars for EQM as well?

My only "Mileage Run" this year, was to take a planned flight in Paid First instead of Coach for the EQM multiplier.

So technically, I didn't take any extra flights, but did make extra spend. The airlines must love me.
I did exactly this. I was going to end up short on PQD but not PQM so I took a couple of business trips I was already going to take and used my own $$$ to buy first instead of coach. No extra BIS time.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Considered doing a MR on Air Canada in Oct that would have gotten me early
recognition for SE from Oct - Feb 2017, but would not qualify me for SE for 2017
( since I would have met 2016 requirements - no AQD - but not 2017 requirements - AQD).
Finally decided against it.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
delete

Last edited by Thomas Sivapatham; Dec 10, 2016 at 8:19 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm one stay short of requalifying for HH Diamond. Next week I'm flying to MCI on Saturday morning early. The HGI RDU was $68 plus tax so I'll just stay there the night before the flight.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:05 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Yes, I did a few this year. Actually did enjoy them though, stayed 2 nights on each one and had a good time. After I reach million miler though I will be done with them.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:38 am

I thought I would have to do a run, but I made the MQD requirement exactly, to the dollar!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thought I was going to need a mileage run this year, but I agreed to do a December speech in Germany for just a biz-class ticket. It was a good event and the miles put me over the top for a 4th year of 1K status.

I can't say I mind the occasional mileage run, though. Last year did a quick run to GRU & got an inexpensive day rate in a nice airport hotel. No need to pack business clothes, no work to complete before arrival, no stress over flight delays... weirdly relaxing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.