Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Women traveling alone on MRs

Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

To those of you who have done MRs to places like UIO, PTY, CGK, and the like: my neighbor is considering a long run to gain status and I passed along some of the trips to these cities that I've seen posted by you excellent folks. She is intrigued, but she's concerned about flying to places like this alone, especially if there's a layover requiring a hotel stay. Any feedback/advice to pass on to her? This likely applies to other cities as well, I just was referencing these based on the MR deals posted recently.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Women travel alone all the time on business. It should feel no different. Of course, every city is different and people need to take safety precautions. But in most places, the worst thing that can happen is just being overcharged for a taxi. I recommend using Uber and keeping your wits about you.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:56 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I fly alone frequently for business and the occasional Mileage Run, both domestically and internationally. The same common sense standards apply worldwide. Do your research in advance, be aware of your surroundings, and go with your gut feeling.

That said, I have flown to PTY solo twice. Both were terrific trips. I took a cab to the hotel (Waldorf) and used a car service for the return.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 5, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
More often than not I too travel solo for both business and pleasure, domestically and internationally, and agree with the others. The best advice given to me was to travel with confidence, not with fear, whether at home or abroad.

My most memorable trip of all time was a solo trip to UIO then on to a remote part of the Amazon jungle where I spent a week with a native Indian tribe. Second most memorable was to Bali via CGK. Again alone.

Your neighbor can test her readiness for traveling alone right at home by going out to dinner, a movie, or an event alone. If these are uncomfortable, she may not be quite ready.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. She travels solo periodically, some to international destinations, but she has never traveled to the more exotic cities I mentioned. Just wanted to make sure what she was getting into before booking, and I couldn't advise as I hadn't been there either. Your feedback is appreciated.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
PTY is a fine place. If you are over-nighting in the city itself then it's a set rate of $35 from the airport to the city. I think Uber is around the same.

If wanted, I can give your friend the details of the driver I use the whole time in PTY. He does both pick ups and drop offs to the airport, as well as tours of the city and countryside
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
If wanted, I can give your friend the details of the driver I use the whole time in PTY. He does both pick ups and drop offs to the airport, as well as tours of the city and countryside
Thanks much for the offer. I will mention it to her if she decides to go to PTY.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Uber is now my preferred services in Lat American countries over regular taxis. Service is superior, drivers have to go thru a background check, you don't need to carry cash and you automatically get a receipt.

Been to PTY, BOG, MEX, MVD, GRU and EZE in last few years and despite scary Internet warnings have never felt threatened or concerned about my safety.

Standard precautions are necessary - don't take offers for rides from unsolicited drivers, use a trusted car service like Uber or have the hotel call a taxi for you, don't carry wads of cash or flashy jewelry, don't get fall down drunk and don't roam around shady neighborhoods at night.

One good piece of advice I received was to always carry a decoy wallet full of expired gift cards and worthless currency and an old flip phone so if you do get mugged you hand over the bogus goods instead. This is true for downtown Philly as well as the streets of Bangkok.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Uber is now my preferred services in Lat American countries over regular taxis. Service is superior, drivers have to go thru a background check, you don't need to carry cash and you automatically get a receipt.

Been to PTY, BOG, MEX, MVD, GRU and EZE in last few years and despite scary Internet warnings have never felt threatened or concerned about my safety.

Standard precautions are necessary - don't take offers for rides from unsolicited drivers, use a trusted car service like Uber or have the hotel call a taxi for you, don't carry wads of cash or flashy jewelry, don't get fall down drunk and don't roam around shady neighborhoods at night.

One good piece of advice I received was to always carry a decoy wallet full of expired gift cards and worthless currency and an old flip phone so if you do get mugged you hand over the bogus goods instead. This is true for downtown Philly as well as the streets of Bangkok.

I've used Uber all over Southeast Asia without any problems as a solo traveler (though male in my case). The service is secure, reliable, courteous, etc. Plus, no money changes hands in the car. I agree about the standard precautions that would apply in any large city of any country. It is especially important NOT to flag down taxis on the street in a number of developing countries, but with Uber, you never have to worry about which countries--just use the app!

Or...stick to public transportation. Rail-based transportation is the best, but buses are okay as well if you can figure out the routes.

For the first-time MRer, I recommend choosing a destination country where you are very comfortable speaking the local language. It can make a huge amount of difference if you are trying to negotiate an unfamiliar airport or public transportation. It also is nice from a morale/psychological perspective--no joke! Nobody likes feeling helpless, and if you are in an unfamiliar place with very minimal ability to communicate/navigate, it can cause anxiety.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I travel alone often and to "exotic" locations and I've never felt fearful.
Here is one good tip: if taking a taxi from the airport, don't walk out of the baggage claim doors. It is much better to do to the departures door/terminal. Drivers are less likely to attempt to cheat you if do that.

Another option is to use Viator.com - it is a great source of things to do in a city/country. You can good airport transfers and tours.

Tell her to "just do it". She'll be glad she did.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Cool

Originally Posted by mrswirl
... always carry a decoy wallet full of expired gift cards and worthless currency and an old flip phone so if you do get mugged you hand over the bogus goods instead. This is true for downtown Philly as well as the streets of Bangkok.
What a great idea! I always try to protect against a pick pocketer, but never considered being mugged while traveling (or at home in Philly).
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I travel alone all the time. Been to every Continent except for Antarctica. For places I am not familiar with, I would check with the State Department website for any travel warnings. Israel and the West Bank is one place where I checked with the State Department because there can be localized tension. For any first time locations, I checked in with the Destinations forum here at the flyertalk. So many helpful people on that Forum!!

I am a news junkie consequently I am more afraid of Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, etc than I am PTY or UIO. Have not been to either cities. They are on my short list. Just need to find time.

Most importantly, be watchful. Keep valuables hidden. Keitherson is right. Taxi is usually the most common problem.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's be careful about generalizations. In Rio, public buses aren't necessarily considered safe.

I would also disagree with the Viator suggestion, for both airport transfers and tours.

Why should a female traveling alone stick with tours when you can do exactly what you want to do and when you want to do it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by melrowgo
She is intrigued, but she's concerned about flying to places like this alone, especially if there's a layover requiring a hotel stay. Any feedback/advice to pass on to her? This likely applies to other cities as well, I just was referencing these based on the MR deals posted recently.
If it's really a mileage run, I suspect staying near the airport is her best bet. If she's talking about more than an overnight stay, I agree with the suggestion that she go places where she will feel comfortable. Then again a couple of years ago, I ended up doing a mileage run to Hanoi and stayed for a week(because expenses there are low). Last year, it was to Kona and the first week of December is relatively inexpensive there so I also stayed a week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.