Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA Ticket Operated by Other (not codeshare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Other than going to the UA site directly, is there a way to search for fares that are United tickets, but not operated by United and not a codeshare?

For example, I can go to the United website and search for BKK to LHR. All of the results are ticketed by United buy operated by other airlines, and they are not UA flight numbers.

The reason I ask is because if I were to purchase a business class ticket this way, I would receive 200% PQM. However, if I bought the bc class ticket via the other operator directly, it would only be 100% or 125%

Is there anyway to see these fares in ITA or Google Flights or elsewhere?

thanks
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Tried this for BKK-LHR in C Class using Asiana.

Booked on United.com but get the following msg:

Your itinerary contains one or more flights operated by a partner airline, so we have asked Asiana Airlines to confirm your reservation within the next 24 hours. In rare cases, a partner airline may not be able to confirm the reservation due to rapidly changing availability.

Please review your itinerary and call the United Customer Contact Center if you do not receive a ticketing confirmation within the next 24 hours. You will not be charged until your ticket is issued.

Did not actually ticket this but would also note that there was no indication as to # of PQMs which would be earned which would have been clearly stated under Details if this had involved UA flights.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by clobber8
Is there anyway to see these fares in ITA or Google Flights or elsewhere?
No, this is not primarily a fare rule issue. It depends in the first instance on UA's determination what flights it will sell via its website. These are typically limited to markets where UA does not operate. The further limitation will be the operating carrier's plating restrictions, which may limit the fares UA can sell.

Also, your understanding of PQM accrual is not quite right. That does not depend upon ticket stock. It's RDM earnings that differ depending on which carrier issues the ticket.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 1, 2016 at 6:31 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Also, your understanding of PQM accrual is not quite right. That does not depend upon ticket stock. It's RDM earnings that differ depending on which carrier issues the ticket.
Second this - hate to break it to you, but in short - you're wrong. Even with a UA flight number, you will get the same amount of PQM if you bought it from the other airline directly.

Star Alliance relies on Butt-in-seat and BIS only. The other two alliances can play funny games (ie: AA flight numbers on BA metal) but not so with Star.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Second this - hate to break it to you, but in short - you're wrong. Even with a UA flight number, you will get the same amount of PQM if you bought it from the other airline directly.

Star Alliance relies on Butt-in-seat and BIS only. The other two alliances can play funny games (ie: AA flight numbers on BA metal) but not so with Star.
Yup. The usual reason we scramble to buy partner flights on UA stock is to accrue PQD. Depending on ticket price vs. miles flown, you may also do better with RDM accrual (e.g., my $175 TG flight BKK-HKT in J would accrue 524 miles on TG stock, 1925 on UA stock).
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Got it - thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.