Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
If you're looking at discount business (I), BA and CX have better EQD rates than QR. But you'll have to be lucky to find I fares on any of them within your price constraint. Maybe PE, which QR does not offer.

You could do LAX-HKG-CGK-HKG-LAX in CX-coded PE for $1833. That's 18,550 miles earning 27,825 EQM and 3,710 EQD. So, not surprisingly, this gets you better EQD but worse EQM than repeating jbeckett's suggestions a few times.
Good to know. Although I do want to chase the status and love flying, I do want to be mindful of cost/time. Doing the SJU run 5 times, would cost around 4500 towards eqd, but get me 75k eqm. While doing the CX for 1800 gets 3700 eqd and 27k eqm. Repeat that twice, and i'm spending 3600, for 7400 eqd, and 55k eqms.

If I'm leaning towards, say, doing the CX run twice at a budget of nearly 4k, is there a more optimal class/fare that nets similar?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG:PLAT DL:PM
LAX to SYD / AKL via HKG in CX PE nets considerably more MQM and MQD for marginally more money. Providing you can afford to take the Monday off, or work remotely.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...D;q=lax+to+akl
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evotion
Good to know. Although I do want to chase the status and love flying, I do want to be mindful of cost/time. Doing the SJU run 5 times, would cost around 4500 towards eqd, but get me 75k eqm. While doing the CX for 1800 gets 3700 eqd and 27k eqm. Repeat that twice, and i'm spending 3600, for 7400 eqd, and 55k eqms.

If I'm leaning towards, say, doing the CX run twice at a budget of nearly 4k, is there a more optimal class/fare that nets similar?
Then one option is a mix-and-match approach: CX PE for better EQD with AA Econ for better EQM.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by 2manyredeyes
LAX to SYD / AKL via HKG in CX PE nets considerably more MQM and MQD for marginally more money. Providing you can afford to take the Monday off, or work remotely.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...D;q=lax+to+akl
I'm planning to do one of these runs in August. Haven't booked it yet but my SO has already approved.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:13 pm

Boston Mileage Run

Departure Airport: BOS, MHT
Miles Needed: 15-20K
Required Spend or Budget: < 1K
Available Travel Dates: Friday evenings/Sunday Mornings starting 4/20
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:AA

Looking for a nice mileage run deal. Willing to fly all day/night to get a surplus of miles to hit EXP.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jbeckett
LAX-NRT-CGK-NRT-LAX out 9/15 return 9/17 is $679, 18140 miles. Book flights with AA flight numbers for 100% MQM.
LAX-ORD-SJU-ORD-LAX same day return 4/29 is $894 in first/business, 15240 MQM at 200% actual miles.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...017-09-17;a=AA
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...2452;sc=b;a=AA
Both of these are tempting
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Then one option is a mix-and-match approach: CX PE for better EQD with AA Econ for better EQM.
I didn't even think of that. I could do a few of the LAX-SJU runs for the eqm and then supplement with the CX run, which would save more than just doing pure LAX-SJU runs. Awesome.

I'm hoping a good CX biz fare pops up sometime soon. Technically, we've got a whole year to go to qualify so there's time.

Does anyone forsee cheaper biz fares to the UK because of Brexit?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thegurusteve
Departure Airport: BOS, MHT
Miles Needed: 15-20K
Required Spend or Budget: < 1K
Available Travel Dates: Friday evenings/Sunday Mornings starting 4/20
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:AA

Looking for a nice mileage run deal. Willing to fly all day/night to get a surplus of miles to hit EXP.
BOS-ORD-RNO-ORD-BOS day trip 5/6 or 5/13 is $260, 5066 miles.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...5-06;a=AA;eo=e
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Hi All,

Thinking about a MR over memorial weekend to get to Plat Pro for additional earning on some booked QR fares and upcoming work travel. I am already good on my EQDs just need 13940 EQMs. I have messed around on GF and the most tempting locations/flights might be something to PTY, SJU or SJO in biz/1st but I am open to anything and anywhere that might include a day or long enough layover for a quick tour/sightsee. I can't seem to get a good GF result from PHX and the additional cost to get to say LAX, DFW ect kinda pushes things over cost that make sense. Long time lurker and think its amazing what you guys do to help others... Thanks in advance...

Departure Airport: PHX (could position if needed)
Miles Needed: @15k
Required Spend or Budget: hoping for less than $800
Available Travel Dates: looking over memorial weekend 5/26 to 5/29
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA or earning EQM partners
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by talltoddtravels
Departure Airport: PHX (could position if needed)
Miles Needed: @15k
Required Spend or Budget: hoping for less than $800
Available Travel Dates: looking over memorial weekend 5/26 to 5/29
PHX-PHL-SJU-PHL-PHX in business out 5/26 return 5/27 is $858, 14600 EQM.
https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...c=b;a=AA;c=PHL
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
The husband and I just had twins two months ago and therefore will be traveling less- but still have a desire to maintain our EXP status. We are only looking at business class fares or AA hard metal that we could potentially use SWU's- as even if this is a mileage run- we still want it to be as relaxing as possible (therefore the twins will stay at home and we don't want to be stuck in long haul economy)

best I can find so far on my own is ORD-PVG business class for $2742/ticket

Departure Airport: midwest if possible (we are based out of MCI- but can position anywhere with AA/BA miles)
Miles Needed: as many as possible
Required Spend or Budget: less than $3k
Available Travel Dates: dates over july 18-22
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP 75k Gold, Wyndham Diamon, Caesar's Diamond,
Originally Posted by tiph33
The husband and I just had twins two months ago and therefore will be traveling less- but still have a desire to maintain our EXP status. We are only looking at business class fares or AA hard metal that we could potentially use SWU's- as even if this is a mileage run- we still want it to be as relaxing as possible (therefore the twins will stay at home and we don't want to be stuck in long haul economy)

best I can find so far on my own is ORD-PVG business class for $2742/ticket

Departure Airport: midwest if possible (we are based out of MCI- but can position anywhere with AA/BA miles)
Miles Needed: as many as possible
Required Spend or Budget: less than $3k
Available Travel Dates: dates over july 18-22
Whats the goal in the mileage run? Consider the changeover the harder part is the dollars spent. Do you need EQDs or EQMs?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by mdd100
Whats the goal in the mileage run? Consider the changeover the harder part is the dollars spent. Do you need EQDs or EQMs?
Yes- agreed EQD's mean more to us than EQM's. If worse comes to worse we can always put big spend on the AA co brand CC's to get an extra $3k EQD- but that spend would be better put elsewhere. Thanks for the help
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA
Run from STL

Hi all,

Wanted to see if anything 5/20 or 5/21 (preferably 5/21 evening) through 5/22 is possible. I need 8000 plus miles and am open to traveling on AA or code share flights (at least Premium on code shares). I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong but the best I could find was to HNL for 900 dollars or so (8200 EQMs).. Might be easier to do domestic F and get 2x EQM at that rate. Any thoughts on how I can either get the price lowered or get more miles by flying on a premium cabin for that much money?

Departure Airport:
STL
Miles Needed: ~8000
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: Hoping for evening 5/21 through 5/22 (arriving 5/23 AM is ok)

Last edited by moonwoo; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moonwoo
Hi all,

Wanted to see if anything 5/20 or 5/21 (preferably 5/21 evening) through 5/22 is possible. I need 8000 plus miles and am open to traveling on AA or code share flights (at least Premium on code shares). I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong but the best I could find was to HNL for 900 dollars or so (8200 EQMs).. Might be easier to do domestic F and get 2x EQM at that rate. Any thoughts on how I can either get the price lowered or get more miles by flying on a premium cabin for that much money?

Departure Airport:
STL
Miles Needed: ~8000
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: Hoping for evening 5/21 through 5/22 (arriving 5/23 AM is ok)
You probably saw STL-LAX-HNL-LAX-STL for just over $900, 8296 miles. You could do longer routings for under $790; for example, STL-ORD-PHX-HNL-LAX-ORD-STL on 20-21 (9173 EQM). If you wanted to, for a similar fare and routing you could have the night of the 20th and most of the 21st on island before returning home (arriving 22nd afternoon).

As for flying Business: Any of YVR/SEA/SFO/SJU RT would top 4150 with the right routing. None seem to be available right now in Business for under $900, but they're close: STL-ORD-SFO-ORD-STL (4208 mi) is $950. So it could happen, I suspect; you'd need to keep an eye on them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.