Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by PDXAA
Or just don't do the DUB to LHR sector...
Not if you've checked in for all segments. On more than one occasion I've driven to DFW rather than flying a booked segment from AMA, SAT, and LBB. Maybe international is different?
LOL! It wasn't so much advice, as it was pointing out an option with evidence that it can be viable.
No, you didn't provide any evidence that you can skip the DUB-LHR leg.

I have personally skipped a SAN-LAX leg, but that was due to the flight being delayed and I wouldn't have made the international leg. I was at SAN airport and informed AA I wouldn't take the first flight.

To suggest anyone skip the first leg of any itinerary, without notifying the airline, is foolish.

I will reiterate this: no one should skip the first leg and then expect to continue their trip.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by skunker
No, you didn't provide any evidence that you can skip the DUB-LHR leg.

I have personally skipped a SAN-LAX leg, but that was due to the flight being delayed and I wouldn't have made the international leg. I was at SAN airport and informed AA I wouldn't take the first flight.

To suggest anyone skip the first leg of any itinerary, without notifying the airline, is foolish.

I will reiterate this: no one should skip the first leg and then expect to continue their trip.
I won't quote myself. You can reread my posts if you like. Also, agreed, everyone should call the airline. In my opinion that goes without saying.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Hi Experts,
ORD – DUB
LHR – ORD
$1800

I need to be in Dublin by 7/24 (from ORD) and can leave as early as 7/22
I have a mid-week flight to LHR already.
London area to ORD by 7/28 but if necessary can do the 29th.
Definitely would do a MR
The key for me is availability to use 2 SWU’s, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:29 pm

Any good route for MR for BA? Im based in Hong Kong and London.

Thank You

Departure Airport: HKG or LON airports
Miles Needed: 525TP for BA
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: August 2017
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Oneworld.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zouyifan Wen
Any good route for MR for BA? Im based in Hong Kong and London.

Thank You

Departure Airport: HKG or LON airports
Miles Needed: 525TP for BA
Required Spend or Budget: As cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: August 2017
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Oneworld.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. You might also want to look in the 2017 BA TierPoint Run Thread.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:32 pm

Qualify for AA EXP - Help

Need about 2300 more EQD and 3100 EQM to make EXP for least amount of $$ possible, in premium cabin. Any ideas?
Origin is DCA.
Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Moimeme
Need about 2300 more EQD and 3100 EQM to make EXP for least amount of $$ possible, in premium cabin. Any ideas?
Origin is DCA.
Thanks!
There are cheap AA flights in biz but it wouldn't earn as many EQD's. Biz on other OW carriers aren't cheap either, so I would suggest flying premium economy (PE). BA for example earns 1.5 EQM's on PE and biz, and calculates EQD based on distance - the lowest of which earns 20% of distance flown. Something like IAD-LHR-TLV r/t costs $1,350. It earns a bit over 2,300 EQD and more than enough EQM's, just make sure you don't book on AA codeshare as it calculates EQD's based on ticket price.

https://goo.gl/flights/2FpE
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA: 4.5K miles needed for Executive Platinum by EOY. Need only EQMs. EQDs already met

Departure Airport: LAX, BUR
Miles Needed: 4,500
Required Spend or Budget: Cheapest fare possible (Need EQMs only; do not need EQDs)
Available Travel Dates: Flexible in Aug, Oct, Nov, Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by avarda
Required Spend or Budget: Cheapest fare possible (Need EQMs only; do not need EQDs)

LAX-BOS rt $309
10/16 (red eye) - 10/17 (and other dates as well)
5,222 EQM
O fare

https://goo.gl/flights/pWh5

It's possible to get this trip down to around $288 if you don't mind a long layover on the return leg.

Last edited by swingaling; Jul 24, 2017 at 10:25 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by avarda
How about a random overnight to BOS?

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...245;a=ONEWORLD

Or CLT?

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...057;a=ONEWORLD
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:18 am

Departure Airport: PVD (preferred) / BOS / ORD / CLT / PHL / DCA -- willing to position to anywhere else
Miles Needed: 60k
Required Spend or Budget: $3-4k
Available Travel Dates: Any time (mostly), weekends preferred
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Any OW, as long as EQMs are earned

I'm considering going for ExPlat, but I got a late start this year so I'm going to be a bit behind. I've been focusing on premium cabin partner fares because of the 1.5 EQM multiplier. I'd like to keep cost as low as possible (within reason), but I'm willing to spend a little more for quicker trips and more comfortable seats.

What I've come up with so far:

Trip 1: PVD-AKL RT (positioning flight on AA)
AA: PVD-CLT-LAX/LAX-CLT-DCA-PVD (S/L/Q) ~$650
BIS: 5,933 | EQM: 5,668 | EQD: 600

CX: LAX-HKG-AKL RT (E) ~$2,500
BIS: 25,896 | EQM: 38,844 | EQD: 5,179

Trip 2: PVD-CGK RT (AA/JL metal -- AA codeshare)
AA/JL: PVD-ORD-NRT-CGK/CGK-NRT-DFW-CLT-PVD (S/V) ~$950
BIS: 22,409 | EQM: 22,409 | EQD: 872

Totals:
BIS: 54,238 | EQM: 67,186 | EQD: 6,650

Note: Trip 2 would also work as a RT to HKG and SIN. Both a bit shorter, but I may do SIN instead because I'd love to see it (more so than CGK). I'll be going to HKG in Nov anyway, so I'd rather go somewhere new.

Unfortunately, I missed out on the QR deal from SGN/HAN, but I'd LOVE to have a flight with some sectors in lie flat. There's a good deal with QR for CPT-MIA in J (for $2,100 RT), but positioning to CPT would be expensive and time consuming.

I've tried looking for an AA long-haul international flight in J for the 2x EQM multiplier, but haven't found anything with a reasonable price.

Last edited by swingaling; Aug 2, 2017 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by swingaling
Departure Airport: PVD (preferred) / BOS / ORD / CLT / PHL / DCA -- willing to position to anywhere else
Miles Needed: 60k
Required Spend or Budget: $3-4k
Available Travel Dates: Any time (mostly), weekends preferred
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Any OW, as long as EQMs are earned
If you have a few days of flexibility, there are a bunch of BA PE fares to Asia (India, China, Korea, etc.) throughout the remainder of the year.

Here's just 1 example--
BOS-LHR-PVG-LHR-BOS:
Cost: $1,912 (w/AARP discount)
BIS: 18,040
EQM: 27,060
EQD: $3,608

If you want, you can schedule more time at LHR either direction if you want to head into town.

AARP membership is about $50 for 3 years, and no you don't need to be a minimum age.

I'm thinking of doing an AUS-PVG run this fall. On AA in coach it is $780 (would give me PPro), or BA in PE $1911 (for EXP). Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll share more info.

You do need a visa for mainland China. There is a 10 year option, I think the cost was about $150.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
If you have a few days of flexibility, there are a bunch of BA PE fares to Asia (India, China, Korea, etc.) throughout the remainder of the year.

Here's just 1 example--
BOS-LHR-PVG-LHR-BOS:
Cost: $1,912 (w/AARP discount)
BIS: 18,040
EQM: 27,060
EQD: $3,608

If you want, you can schedule more time at LHR either direction if you want to head into town.

AARP membership is about $50 for 3 years, and no you don't need to be a minimum age.

I'm thinking of doing an AUS-PVG run this fall. On AA in coach it is $780 (would give me PPro), or BA in PE $1911 (for EXP). Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll share more info.

You do need a visa for mainland China. There is a 10 year option, I think the cost was about $150.
Cool, thanks. I'll add those to the list.

I don't have a Chinese visa and my passport expires in 3 years. I assume I'd need to get a new visa when I renew my passport?

Pity that I can't seem to find any good QR/JL/AA fare deals in PY/J. I'd love to do BOS-DOH-AKL on QR, but I guess that's wishful thinking.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by swingaling
Cool, thanks. I'll add those to the list.

I don't have a Chinese visa and my passport expires in 3 years. I assume I'd need to get a new visa when I renew my passport?

Pity that I can't seem to find any good QR/JL/AA fare deals in PY/J. I'd love to do BOS-DOH-AKL on QR, but I guess that's wishful thinking.
I've been told that the Chinese visa is good for 10 years, even if the dates don't match those in your passport. My passport expires in 2 years, but my visa is good for another 9. You just need to carry both the old and new passports for travel to China.

Or if you don't want to deal with the visa, you can find almost identical fares to ICN @:-)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Departure Airport: RSW, TPA, MIA, FLL, CVG, DAY
Miles Needed: 9000 - 10000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: Under $500
Available Travel Dates: Before 9/20. Ideally from Thurs to Sunday
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA metal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.