Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Can I ask how the EQMs are being calculated? If I do a search by schedule on AA.com, the miles shown aren't exactly what the EQMs end up being. And I don't know of any way for aa.com to tell me what my EQMs will be unless I go through the steps of booking and get right up to the payment page, where it is shown for the one and only time. Problem with that is that a PNR is created at that stage and we all know what happens when you get that far in the booking process and don't complete the purchase too many times (Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space). Thanks!
For AA EQMs, it's right on their website.
EQMs are based on mileage as well as your status.
Go to the "For travel on or after May 4, 2017" area of https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp to get you started.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, unfortunately, those fares are no longer available. If you can do midweek, you can do JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-JFK on 12/13 for $298. Again, this is probably not going to last very long.

I am partly based in NYC and know from experience the routes that tend to yield great cpm. So I just go into GF and fiddle around a bit with different dates and see what pops up.
Grabbed it! Thank you so much. Still short a couple thousand miles but I have a Miami flight for Dec 23rd which should work.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by melrowgo
Welcome to FT! I'm afraid your $800 max budget is not realistic for that many EQMs at year end. That many EQMs will likely mean a run to Asia, and PE on AA or partners in the $2000+ range to meet that need. Even Economy (which would require multiple trips) is well over $1000 to Asia in December, and it only gets worse the later in the month you fly.
Thanks for the welcome and the response! I can buy back my status for 1299, so if the trips to Asia (not sure what PE means) are more than then it doesn't make sense. Am I better off buying in or is a challenge next year a possibility?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by oliviaso
Thanks for the welcome and the response! I can buy back my status for 1299, so if the trips to Asia (not sure what PE means) are more than then it doesn't make sense. Am I better off buying in or is a challenge next year a possibility?
Realized what PE is... Premium Econ. Thanks :*-)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
EQMs are based on mileage as well as your status.
FYI... EQMs are based on mileage flown. Award miles are based on mileage + status.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by oliviaso
IMO, I believe you'd be best served to take the buy-back. Even if you could find an obscure fare approaching $1299, you'd avoid the significant time, hassle, and butt-in-seat by purchasing for the same amount.
oliviaso likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:05 am

FYI... EQMs are based on mileage flown. Award miles are based on mileage + status.
Yeah... my current status won't give me the nothin' save for the chance of an upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:06 am

IMO, I believe you'd be best served to take the buy-back. Even if you could find an obscure fare approaching $1299, you'd avoid the significant time, hassle, and butt-in-seat by purchasing for the same amount.
I was coming to the same conclusion. Thanks again.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Any help appreciated.

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8,823 EQM
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $1000-1500
Available Travel Dates: DEC 8-10
Max Travel Nights: 1-3
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Trying to hit Ex Plat before Dec 20. All help greatly appreciated.

Departure Airport(s): ORD / MKE
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,207 EQM
Available Travel Dates: DEC 8-20
Max Travel Nights: 1-2
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:49 am

AA RDU-DFW-HKG-DFW $5917. BIZ Class 36,728 MQMs 12/15-12/17

Just Booked this

Currently Plat trying to make EXP
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:50 pm

Departure Airport: DFW, but can position to just about anywhere in the United States
Miles Needed: 15000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: under 1000 prefered
Available Travel Dates: anytime this month before Dec 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Any

Please point me in right direction, ready to go as early as December 8!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by sis22
Any help appreciated.

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8,823 EQM
Available Travel Dates: DEC 8-10
Max Travel Nights: 1-3
LAX-ORD-CLT-DFW-LAX :: $1166 AA in Bus :: ~9000 EQMs :: Dec 9
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by chaschas
Trying to hit Ex Plat before Dec 20. All help greatly appreciated.

Departure Airport(s): ORD / MKE
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,207 EQM
Available Travel Dates: DEC 8-20
Max Travel Nights: 1-2
Check Lima. That is where I am thinking of heading.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by VEVANS
Greetings all, what a great resource!

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 19150 EQM
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: DEC 20-24 or 26-29
Max Travel Nights: As short as possible
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
As melrowgo stated, $1500 is going to be tough. I found the following for about $1600. Same day turn in PVG and the overnight on the 29th is in DFW.

SJC-ORD-PVG-DFW-SJC $1,166
DFW-SJC-PHX-DFW $449

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.