Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between Gold and Silver
  • Use *G lounges on international trips
  • 2 bags @ 70 lbs (vs 1 @ 50lbs)
  • Lower award booking and change fees
  • E+ at time of booking for yourself + 1.
  • Free Same Day Change (SDC)
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (8 vs 7)
  • Higher on upgrade list
  • Eligible for Marriott Gold Status via RewardsPlus
A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart
Previous thread(s)
Is Premier Gold Worth it?
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2016 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
There's a whole thread about that in UA forum with lots of opinions.

In a nutshell, MHO is that extra RDMs aren't worth it, leaving THREE benefits:

Same day change, E+ at booking and lounge access on Int'l travel - but only if you travel internationally.

If you have to spend too much money for PQD, it's not worth it, because you can buy E+ subscription and just go to a restaurant / bar and spend LESS $$$.

Then there's time to do MRs. Back in the day, I used to do blended runs, i.e. find cheap fare to a place I want to go. I still have a list of places I want to go / return to, but will slown down and settle for Lifetime Gold as MM.

YMMV.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
$1600 is an awful lot to spend for UA Gold.

The question is whether you'll make use of it in the year following.

IMO the best Gold benefits are E+ at booking and *A lounge access, 1 extra bag, and assorted *G benefits. If you don't fly international, the latter are not relevant.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG+Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There's a whole thread about that in UA forum with lots of opinions.

In a nutshell, MHO is that extra RDMs aren't worth it, leaving THREE benefits:

Same day change, E+ at booking and lounge access on Int'l travel - but only if you travel internationally.

If you have to spend too much money for PQD, it's not worth it, because you can buy E+ subscription and just go to a restaurant / bar and spend LESS $$$.

Then there's time to do MRs. Back in the day, I used to do blended runs, i.e. find cheap fare to a place I want to go. I still have a list of places I want to go / return to, but will slown down and settle for Lifetime Gold as MM.

YMMV.
Good points, thank you. Makes sense to spend PQD money on ala carte purchases.

Do you have a link to the UA discussion thread that you mentioned?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
$1600 is an awful lot to spend for UA Gold.

The question is whether you'll make use of it in the year following.

IMO the best Gold benefits are E+ at booking and *A lounge access, 1 extra bag, and assorted *G benefits. If you don't fly international, the latter are not relevant.
Good note, thank you. I fly international about once / twice a year, typically for work so I get business class travel anyways. There's also some personal international travel with several hops that makes the lounge access and extra bag (and weight?) limit tempting.

As I replied to the earlier comment, it makes sense to buy access to E+ and food/beverages ala carte in lieu of $1600 in PQD. I might stick to Silver and try to make a Gold run next year as my work travel may be expected to pick up.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Rockyb there is detailed discussion about all status levels and values going on in the UA forum - you should check it out. Also, I agree with Kacee $1,600 is a LOT for gold!

Silver

Gold

Platinum
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rockyb

Do you have a link to the UA discussion thread that you mentioned?
It appears that your post was moved and merged into that (this) very thread

Enjoy the read
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The OP should also consider getting the Club Card and spending 25K through EOY. That will waive the PQD up to Platinum. Since we all spend money outside United, then the OP can focus solely on the PQMs - 3000 PQM can be as cheap as $150. (5 cpm) especially out of ORD. (ORD-LGA is down to $71 for same days in September).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by aacharya
The OP should also consider getting the Club Card and spending 25K through EOY. That will waive the PQD up to Platinum. Since we all spend money outside United, then the OP can focus solely on the PQMs - 3000 PQM can be as cheap as $150. (5 cpm) especially out of ORD. (ORD-LGA is down to $71 for same days in September).
I could certainly consolidate spending to one or two cards. Right now I put most of the charges on Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Double Cash.

I guess I could cancel CSP and pay the annual fee on the Chase MP Explorer instead but no double points/miles categories for MPE card other than buying tickets from United.

Hmm, the results are close either way.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
I guess I could cancel CSP and pay the annual fee on the Chase MP Explorer instead but no double points/miles categories for MPE card other than buying tickets from United.
MP Club, not MP Explorer.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You mean DAL-IAH

Pretty sure UA hasn't flown DAL-HOU in last 20 years.

Very little chance for UA flying it as they leased their 2 DAL gates to WN for an obscene amonut of money for (IIRC) 20 years.

Used to get u/g on DAL-IAH sometimes as well on CR7 (as Plat and 1K).

Too bad, used to walk to DAL
Yes, you're absolutely right. Was booking a flight to HOU while typing that post.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
MP Club, not MP Explorer.
1.5 points per dollar...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:32 pm

Say more on the MP Club card angle? I have the MPE, not the MP Club atm.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Say more on the MP Club card angle? I have the MPE, not the MP Club atm.
Spending $25,000 annually on any combination of Chase MP branded credit cards gives the primary cardholder a waiver on the PQD requirements for status up to Platinum status.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Spending $25,000 annually on any combination of Chase MP branded credit cards gives the primary cardholder a waiver on the PQD requirements for status up to Platinum status.
Ooh ok. I think I may be able to hit that 25K spend by EOY. Hmm, 3000 PQM to Gold between Oct to Dec then. Think I might just be able to pull this off. Those international lounge benefits are too tempting to let go.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:38 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Ooh ok. I think I may be able to hit that 25K spend by EOY. Hmm, 3000 PQM to Gold between Oct to Dec then. Think I might just be able to pull this off. Those international lounge benefits are too tempting to let go.
i would argue that doing a mile run solely to get 3000 pqm solely for star gold is worth it assuming you will hit at least 10* acceptable** lounges next year

**acceptable is up to the beholder, i'm a drunk idiot so any lounge that has wifi, a chair, and free whiskey or vodka for breakfast is acceptable for me.
*whiskey or vodka for breakfast = $30usd, 10*30=300, 3000 pqm run costing $299

star gold is 100 percent worth almost any struggle

i will say however that the airline does recognize plats a bit more, and i have found fungible liquid value through my rpu as i don't care where the hell i sit (i'm always able to score exit row aisle)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.