Wiki Posts
Search

Maximising PQMs on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Maximising PQMs on UA

I'm looking to take a flight from BOS to CGK at the end of August and would like to maximize PQM on UA. I do a Google Flight search and end up with 6 segments on UA and ANA. When I go to ticket it on united.com, I get the correct itinerary and price but I don't see information about PQMs. I also don't see the fare class though I've discovered that the fare class is listed at the top of the fare rules page which is displayed after you prove you're not a robot.

In any case, any suggestions on how to determine PQMs? Also, can I assume that if the ticket is issued by United it will end up with a 016 ticket number and therefore earn 100% PQMs?

Last edited by nobodyherebutme; Jul 20, 2016 at 4:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
See here for an explanation of UA PQM earnings on ANA operated flights. PQM earnings are not related to whether United issued the ticket.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=299
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for putting back on the right path. I had read both the UA page and the ANA page and had misunderstood what I was reading.

To confirm, award miles do depend on whether the ticket is issued by United. But PQMs follow the rules of the airline flying the segment.

Paraphrasing what ANA says: K class tickets for "ANA-operated flights within Japan with an international connection; and ANA-operated flights that are trans-Pacific or intra-Asia (excluding flights between Japan and Australia, mainland China or India)" accrue 100% PQM and the rest accrue only 25%.

So the SFO-NRT would be 100% PQM and NRT-CGK would be 25% PQM.

That may explain why United.com doesn't show the PQMs for the flight. Given that, where would I find those numbers?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
NRT-CGK is intra-Asia and accrues 100% PQM.
You can use another tool like this one to find out the mileage. United's PQM may vary by a few miles but will be very close. NRT-CGK is 3630 miles.
http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I can't believe I misunderstood what I was reading. Again.

In that case, this a little over 20,000 PQMs for $640. Sounds like a deal.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I can't believe I misunderstood what I was reading. Again.

In that case, this a little over 20,000 PQMs for $640. Sounds like a deal.
It happens, the new system can be so confusing! Yes, it looks like you've got your self a good fare around 3cpm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.