Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Minimum turnaround time in BKK?

Minimum turnaround time in BKK?

Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:58 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Question Minimum turnaround time in BKK?

First time doing BKK, and thinking of taking NH849/UA8003 which arrives in BKK at 05:00 AM and getting on NH806/UA7968 which departs 06:50 AM.

I'm assuming I should be ok as long as I don't check any bags since both flight are operated by ANA and the gates should be close enough, or is that still too close of a connection?

Any info would be great!
Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mr8
First time doing BKK, and thinking of taking NH849/UA8003 which arrives in BKK at 05:00 AM and getting on NH806/UA7968 which departs 06:50 AM.

I'm assuming I should be ok as long as I don't check any bags since both flight are operated by ANA and the gates should be close enough, or is that still too close of a connection?
Based on my experience at BKK, how close the gates are to each other matters not a jot. Arriving passengers are separated from those departing: the two flows are on different levels of the airport.

This means you will need to move up a level, getting there through the transfer facility. While this certainly beats going landside and re-entering the system, it's still a bit of a faff, and distances at BKK can be taxing. Things will be easier, the process faster, if you already hold a boarding card for the second flight.

Still, if everything is on time 1:50 should be quite long enough to transfer. Though I'm guessing you are travelling on separate tickets, so failure to connect could present problems.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:52 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This means you will need to move up a level, getting there through the transfer facility. While this certainly beats going landside and re-entering the system, it's still a bit of a faff, and distances at BKK can be taxing. Things will be easier, the process faster, if you already hold a boarding card for the second flight.
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware that I need to go through security again!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I do that exact flight combo 5-10 times a year and have been for some years. Never even once felt rushed or missed the connection. Transit security is usually fast at that time of morning. I usually hit the TG C lounge for 20-30 minutes and then have breakfast at Mango Tree on the upper level of the concourse. Sometimes the gates are close other times far but it's never been an issue. Safe travels!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mr8
Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware that I need to go through security again!
Is there any airport in Asia these days that doesn't require you to clear security again for changing flights?

Thinking about BKK, KUL, SIN, PEK, TYO... they all require it.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Is there any airport in Asia these days that doesn't require you to clear security again for changing flights?

It's the law.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ainternational
I do that exact flight combo 5-10 times a year and have been for some years.
??
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by ainternational
I do that exact flight combo 5-10 times a year and have been for some years.
So, you're doing 5-10 direct turnaround trips from Tokyo to BKK and back?

Do they regularly offer particulary good = mileage run fares on that route?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on where the flight arrives in from, it is quite possible to connect in Doha without having to clear security when connecting
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Depending on where the flight arrives in from, it is quite possible to connect in Doha without having to clear security when connecting
I'm aware of that but Doha isn't Asia.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes it is. Doha is in Qatar and Qatar is in Asia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
If only there was an entire multi-page thread about doing turns in airports around the world.

EDIT: the thread in question is even on the front page of this forum.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 25, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS

Geography is getting beaten up hard.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:24 pm

The transfer security at Bkk never seems to be that busy. It also seems to be the only place at the airport that has operational nude o scopes in use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.