Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA Need but can't find anything out of HKG/SE Asia to IAH/SFO in July. Any ideas?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Need but can't find anything out of HKG/SE Asia to IAH/SFO in July. Any ideas?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

I've posted a couple of good SE Asia deals in the past. I've gotten fairly good at finding deals between Asia and SFO or IAH/HOU. But there is literally nothing below $950 to the US in July. Summer can be tough, but this year I can find zero options.

I'm AA ExP and need to head from HKG (or Asia) to Houston, ideally (but flexible if numbers make sense), July 8 or a couple days later. I've looked from elsewhere in SE Asia- again, nada. Needs to be OW to credit to AA before the Aug 1 changes.

Anyone have ANY ideas? Could even be to another US city. Could even be complex, where I fly to Europe or the ME and then a separate ticket if the pricing CPM made sense. Looking for good returns of both RDM and EQM. I can't come up with anything, but figure others may have suggestions that I have failed to think of...

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Want to go REALLY unconventional? Position down to Joburg, and take CX Premium Economy to Toronto. $1500 but it will give you 43,000 miles for the CX flight alone.

I know - more than you were considering, but food for thought.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Want to go REALLY unconventional? Position down to Joburg, and take CX Premium Economy to Toronto. $1500 but it will give you 43,000 miles for the CX flight alone.

I know - more than you were considering, but food for thought.
The positioning costs on both ends are the fly in the ointment.

I'm currently in the US (SFO), with my return to HKG (the back end of a HKG-SFO-HKG flight) on July 7. But, like I said, I need to turn around after a day and fly to IAH.

I hate to do it, but it's looking likely I will just not fly my return to HKG. Then contemplate a holiday run for a couple days in PTY from SFO or LAX in I. That is, unless somebody on this forum has some magic...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
... But there is literally nothing below $950 to the US in July...Thanks.
Taking your first comment literally, sure there is. Took me all of 2 minutes to find HKG-RIC coming in at $672 at the beginning of the month (July).

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...674;a=ONEWORLD

As for your specific travel date, sure, few if any options. You don't state anything about your budget. Actually, this close to your preferred travel date, a fare of around $1K seems extremely reasonable. Good Luck.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scholity
Taking your first comment literally, sure there is. Took me all of 2 minutes to find HKG-RIC coming in at $672 at the beginning of the month (July).

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...674;a=ONEWORLD

As for your specific travel date, sure, few if any options. You don't state anything about your budget. Actually, this close to your preferred travel date, a fare of around $1K seems extremely reasonable. Good Luck.
non-literally, i meant starting from July 8, of course, since dates prior are of no use to me.

That said, I'm curious how you honed in on a tertiary city like Richmond?!? i use the explore map in gf, but never find good deals to 2nd tier US cities, so i never bother to zoom into places like FAR or RIC. since there are many cheap returns from July 2 and 3, hping the lower fare holds as we get closer to my dates (a useful observation from past deals i've found- so thanks for the heads up)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:06 am

Here's $1,090 for HKG-DOH-LHR-DFW on July 11 with Qatar and AA:

http://goo.gl/flights/vXAs
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:33 am

Even better, here's $985 for HKG-NRT-DFW-IAH on July 9th on Cathay and AA: http://goo.gl/flights/sPn8
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djmac20
Here's $1,090 for HKG-DOH-LHR-DFW on July 11 with Qatar and AA:

http://goo.gl/flights/vXAs
Although I appreciate the effort, I need a round trip ticket. Also, a $985-1090 one way ticket is not an attractive price, to put it mildly.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

in the UNBELIEVABLY BAD TIMING category.... from HKG, several cities started opening up a few days before departure (including SJC, ABQ, TPA) in the mid to high $600's. Alas, the fare rules show it ends July 7. I... needed from July 8th or later.

example: http://goo.gl/flights/jRyv

#*^& me.

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Jul 6, 2016 at 7:18 pm Reason: added link
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
...That said, I'm curious how you honed in on a tertiary city like Richmond?!?
scholity, I too would be interested in knowing how you found the low fare to RIC - pray tell, pretty please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.