Wiki Posts
Search

BREXIT Deals

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat
Red face BREXIT Deals

Is there any way to capitalize on the BREXIT vote drop in the £ ?

Today the Pound is trading at 1x£ = US$1.37.

Any ways to buy BA fares at a discount?

Or are prices set, and Heathrow landing fees will suck up any relative gains?

Cheers
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
...you could buy tickets originating from the UK in pounds...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
You can try an incognito browser, go to the BA website and select UK as your location. All prices should be displayed in £, if you find something, pay with a no ForEx credit card???? Good luck, and happy hunting. ^

Originally Posted by Harry IAH
Is there any way to capitalize on the BREXIT vote drop in the £ ?

Today the Pound is trading at 1x£ = US$1.37.

Any ways to buy BA fares at a discount?

Or are prices set, and Heathrow landing fees will suck up any relative gains?

Cheers
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
You can try an incognito browser, go to the BA website and select UK as your location...
Or book via a British OTA. Saves you the trouble of making yourself anonymous.

For tickets that are not sold in pounds, you can save a few bucks as the UK taxes are always converted from Pounds to the appropriate currency. The savings are however minimal. Furthermore, I don't know the refresh cycle of the exchange rates, but I have noticed in the past differences of a few €, that were due to the £-€ exchange rate fluctuating.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Well I don't know if prices have adjusted but yesterday was able to look at same itinerary on dollar vs pound prices and notice the 10% discount. I pulled up the itineraries in us vs uk versions of same OTA.

Bob
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
It does take a bit for the airlines to issue new fares in local currency but it's faster than it was in the past.... That said, even if priced in GBP at 1.37 there are better gateways for most itineraries... I know there was some room for arbitrage in 2008 but this time around between the airport departure tax and other factors (London being such a business travel hub), I think you can find some better deals originating from other cities in Europe (CPH, DUB, MIL, etc.)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Well I don't know if prices have adjusted but yesterday was able to look at same itinerary on dollar vs pound prices and notice the 10% discount. I pulled up the itineraries in us vs uk versions of same OTA.

Bob
naah. too fast. They'll wait a few days and see how it plays out. Plus they have hedging contracts.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:29 am

I am in the US and just booked 2 flights in £ within Africa on SA at a 10% savings over the same flights on flysaa and united sites. I used expedia.co.uk.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:26 am

The pound has fallen further today... More savings
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Hurry! BA is about to adopt the Euro as its currency.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Surely discounts only apply to fares filed in GBP i.e ex-UK. Otherwise you just pay the same price albeit the GBP price will have gone up no?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:49 am

Even if filed n other currencies I don't think it is a real time conversion when u pull up in pounds. On the other hand credit card transactions are priced at time of transaction.So when you have a massive drop in a day like on Friday and today, you will see discrepancies. Happened during the ruble fall some time ago as well.
Bob
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Is this thread about lower BA fares in general or BA fares used for MR's?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by tcook052
Is this thread about lower BA fares in general or BA fares used for MR's?
No. It's about taking advantage of the more favourable foreign exchange rates (particularly the $/£ rate) of the last few days to acquire fares offered by UK airlines at about 10% less than they would have cost early last week.

No limited to BA or any other particular carrier. Even European carriers are involved because the Euro has been similarly, but not as radically affected.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
At least that UK luxury tax is a bit cheaper for using SWU's now ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.