Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else doing last minute AA RDM runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pfbloom
Last Ditch RDM/EQM-accruing MRs on AA before new mileage rules take effect August 1.... (add your finds)

-- MIA-CLT-SJU-CLT-MIA 4249 base miles for $226 for CPM of 5.3 (so-so); various dates in July: may require overnight in CLT outbound

-- SJC-LAX-ORD-PEK-HND-LAX-SJC 16,103 base miles for $851; CPM of 5.3; one day layover. Also available from SFO with fewer stops and fewer miles. PEK-HND is a JL flight#, all the rest AA.

-- LAX-DFW-PTY-MIA-LAS-LAX in J/F, around 7,000 miles for $770, with the 2x EQM for J/F can yield a CPM around 5 cents. More creative routings may still be available - plus you do get to fly in J/F.
Print Wikipost

Anyone else doing last minute AA RDM runs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
Yes sir, my last MR of the year to put me at ExP for another year.

Of course...throw in a combination of Biz and coach, First class lounge access (specially when flying through Nrt) and it all goes smooth.
If the long hauls are in biz and this renews your EXP, and the cpm is below buying the miles, it is definitely a good deal. Even if the long hauls are not in J, renewing EXP for less than 2cpm is a great deal.

The JAL first lounge in NRT gets very crowded, btw. Tokyo subway crowded. As in literally at times there is not even one empty chair.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
I'm thinking about one more run to hit ExP for the year but I agree that all of the good runs are taken by now. I have an Asia trip coming up after Aug 1, and I'm seriously considering pushing the miles onto another OW FF program.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by BThumme
Just wondering if anyone else is flying any MRs with the focus of AA RDMs before the devaluation. I'm trying to find something good, but summer air prices aren't too friendly. I could do the PTY runs, but cant get two transcons for under 1k.

Based out of Denver, I'll need to position somewhere if I do it, but would like to make one more push for some more RDMs. I realize that it's usually a better deal to straight up buy the RDMs, but there's no fun in that.
I am, but you already knew that!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Not even when factoring in 100% Elite bonus which brings down the cpm to cheaper than buying miles outright?

Doha this weekend on an awesome combination of aircraft, from E175 to A380, 787, 330, and back in via E190.
Care to share you itinerary? Great equipment run would like to replicate this.
Thank you.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Lga-Msp-Ord-Lhr-Doh-Man-Phl-Lga.

With the exception of the QR legs, all in Biz. Luckily, upper deck was 25% full, so lots of lounging around with 4 seats to myself. On the return, 787 was half full, so 3 seats on my own--who needs Biz?!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by token385
Care to share you itinerary? Great equipment run would like to replicate this.
Thank you.
Lga-Msp-Ord-Lhr-Doh-Man-Phl-Lga.

With the exception of the QR legs, all in Biz. Luckily, upper deck was 25% full, so lots of lounging around with 4 seats to myself. On the return, 787 was half full, so 3 seats on my own--who needs Biz?!
What dates and price were you able to get?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:44 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
As fun as an RDM run would be, it just isn't economical. If I can spend 3,000$ or so on RDM via buying AA miles from their offers, I'll take it. Sure, you won't have the destinations or other fun side perks, but doing it solely for RDM just doesn't make economic sense. 5cpm vs 1.89cpm

Now, that's not to say I'm not going to do a milerun for EQM. I'm around 4,500 EQM from EXP... for the first time. Sadly last time since the revenue shift in AA's program.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
What dates and price were you able to get?
I flew this past weekend, Sat-Mon, circa $500.

Originally Posted by Server
As fun as an RDM run would be, it just isn't economical.
Now, that's not to say I'm not going to do a milerun for EQM. I'm around 4,500 EQM from EXP... for the first time. Sadly last time since the revenue shift in AA's program.
I think it varies from person to person. Some of my MRs are Vacation Runs over long weekend. That's fun enough to me, plus the experience of airports, lounges, and recognition/treatment for being Emerald (more often than not I fly codeshares knowing that, say JL, CX, at times BA, will go above and beyond). Next year, I may opt to do the cheap QR Biz--Sri Lanka or Egypt are places I am yet to reach. Yes, not economical in the true sense, but the experiences far outweigh the cost.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

I think it varies from person to person. Some of my MRs are Vacation Runs over long weekend. That's fun enough to me, plus the experience of airports, lounges, and recognition/treatment for being Emerald (more often than not I fly codeshares knowing that, say JL, CX, at times BA, will go above and beyond). Next year, I may opt to do the cheap QR Biz--Sri Lanka or Egypt are places I am yet to reach. Yes, not economical in the true sense, but the experiences far outweigh the cost.
I feel the same way.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I'm only 45,000 miles away from lifetime plat on AA and I'm still not going to do any last minute RDM runs. With the drop in bonus miles to 60% from 100% for plat (and the rise to 40% from 25% for gold!) I have dropped out of the game. Played for many years and enjoyed, but with zero business travel in my future it is just too expensive a hobby to keep playing.

I have lifetime Gold on UA (and my wife inherits it too) and live in NJ, so for most situations UA makes more sense for me.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:07 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by schriste
I'm only 45,000 miles away from lifetime plat on AA and I'm still not going to do any last minute RDM runs. With the drop in bonus miles to 60% from 100% for plat (and the rise to 40% from 25% for gold!) I have dropped out of the game. Played for many years and enjoyed, but with zero business travel in my future it is just too expensive a hobby to keep playing.

I have lifetime Gold on UA (and my wife inherits it too) and live in NJ, so for most situations UA makes more sense for me.
I agree. Not worth it at all. Back in the day, especially around 2009-2010 when AA was handing out miles like candy (DEQM, triple miles, etc), I was doing LAX-BOS ($209 rt fares) runs every other weekend for 2 months straight.

These days, F fares within the US are relatively cheap. QR has amazing J fares from certain outports. Why go through the torture of doing a MR such as JFK-MIA-DFW-PTY-DFW-ORD-MIA-JFK along with going through those long security lines?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't dedicate such long travel times right now. Only Fri-Sun flying for me.

Originally Posted by schriste

I still think it would be worth having LT PL. I'm only 750,000 miles away so I've decided to quit trying.

Platinum on OneWorld/AA is still worth quite a bit more (in terms of amenities, etc) than AA Gold.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:57 am

AA mileage runs before new rules

Hey guys, just curious. Are many of you planning on doing mileage runs before the AA award rule changes? I understand that EQM won't change but if doing a run, might as well as many RDM as possible.

I'm thinking that I'll be short 20k miles or so from Executive Platinum this year. So I'd like to keep my eyes open for a run this summer, yielding around 15k.

Looking to hear what others plan on doing.

Happy flying!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
What's the point of doing a last minute run? You can buy points at .015 CPM. No MR will get you anywhere near that.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by frebay
What's the point of doing a last minute run? You can buy points at .015 CPM. No MR will get you anywhere near that.
Some of us also enjoy flying as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.