Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with positioning flights/multi-city

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm new to FT & new to mileage runs and need some help putting things together. Doing this for AA Status. Using ITA & Google Flights.

I live in Phoenix, so good international runs are hard to find. However, from east coast, there are some pretty good economy fares to Europe, ~$700. For example, from JFK, 7/4-7/6, MXP or ORY is a decent fare.

Now, what I'd like to do is do a multi-city which brackets the JFK-MXP trip, so PHX-JFK-MXP-JFK-PHX. This seems like a good idea, just in case a flight gets delayed/canceled, then I'm somewhat protected since I'm on same reservation. Pricing this on a multi-city can easily add 2500+ to the original $700 fare.

But if I price them separately, and nest 2 reservations, its the $700 for JFK-MXP/ORY return, then about $400 for PHX-JFK return.

So am i doing something wrong when trying to price these out, or is this just the hazard involved in chasing low fares?

Thanks...
Jerry
Old May 28, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: DL DM
International runs to Europe are currently hard to find from PHX, but there are other good ones. If you need to go soon, look at SYD for about $1000. Not great, but far lower cpm than that MXP run, especially if you can run it through DFW. Available June through November currently.

If you can wait a few months, SIN is running about $950 from PHX through DFW and NRT, over 21k EQMs there.

As to your original question, I've nested 2 (or more) reservations, misconnected, and AA still took care of it. They aren't required to, but if you stick to AA metal they usually will. You run into problems when you start mixing in OW carriers.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdamNP
As to your original question, I've nested 2 (or more) reservations, misconnected, and AA still took care of it. They aren't required to, but if you stick to AA metal they usually will. You run into problems when you start mixing in OW carriers.
Thanks, good to know! J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.