Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] TP: NYC/BOS/MIA - Europe - GRU $213

[FARE GONE] TP: NYC/BOS/MIA - Europe - GRU $213

Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Deemo21
Does anybody know if they will check for your Brazil visa when you check in for the first flight? Will they let my parents on the plane if they don't have the Brazil visa? We don't really want to continue on to Brazil. I have a Brazil visa, but don't see the purpose of them getting it. It would make the price not worth it for them.
Depends on when you go.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Deemo21
Does anybody know if they will check for your Brazil visa when you check in for the first flight? Will they let my parents on the plane if they don't have the Brazil visa? We don't really want to continue on to Brazil. I have a Brazil visa, but don't see the purpose of them getting it. It would make the price not worth it for them.
Highly likely they will need a visa, depending on their nationality, unless they are US residents.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
got ticketed BOS-LIS-MAD-GRU on EX. $213, 14 hrs in LIS, 20 hrs in MAD layovers.

not sure if I take it, but there is 24 hrs cancellation policy. as usual, book asap and re-think later.

Last edited by tonykline1947; Mar 9, 2016 at 7:37 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:44 pm

Re: No intent to purchase Brazil visa

Originally Posted by erik123
Highly likely they will need a visa, depending on their nationality, unless they are US residents.

Thanks erik123, my parents and sister are US citizens. I booked it already for them earlier today but am thinking that I should cancel it. I wish I got the same fare that I bought for myself to Rome on last week's price in $200s, but it was gone by the time I went to book second itinerary. I am thinking that I should hold out for a direct NY to Italy (somewhere) flight for them and make it easier. I travel a lot and would be able to handle changes, but my parents would flip out if something got messed up or if they ended up spending hundreds for the visas for a country that they don't really plan to go to.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:45 pm

Re: No plan for Brazil visa

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Depends on when you go.
This will be in November around the Thanksgiving holiday (Past the date of the Olympics waiver for Brazil visa...)
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by erik123
So departing from USA, I will need a Brazil visa to go to Europe? I thought they will check that at European airport?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Way to go , calling it an error....
I have argued and argued with that blog time and again about this terminology. They simply won't budge and I'm now banned from posting comments on their site. They're amateurs killing it for the rest of us.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:53 pm

Re: No intent to purchase Brazil visa

Originally Posted by yuel
So departing from USA, I will need a Brazil visa to go to Europe? I thought they will check that at European airport?
Thats the exact thing I need to figure out. That visa is $160 plus a potential hassle as I would have to do this process for 3 people .
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by yuel
No. Only if you're connecting directly to Brazil.

If you booked:

01SEP NYC-LIS-BCN

09SEP BCN-LIS-GRU

They would check your passport in BCN on 09SEP. You can easily just drop the second half of this ticket without a visa.

If you booked:

01SEP NYC-LIS
02 SEP LIS-GRU

They would check for a Brazil visa.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tblack15
No. Only if you're connecting directly to Brazil.

If you booked:

01SEP NYC-LIS-BCN

09SEP BCN-LIS-GRU

They would check your passport in BCN on 09SEP. You can easily just drop the second half of this ticket without a visa.

If you booked:

01SEP NYC-LIS
02 SEP LIS-GRU

They would check for a Brazil visa.
Tblack15 has it correct, and as I stated it in an earlier post - you can book this open-jaw, but simply not take the Europe to Brazil portion if you can find an alternate way to get home from Europe instead. Unless rules have changed, there's no reason they'd check for the visa on the departing flight from the US since your destination is Europe first. On the second leg, where your final destination is Brazil, that's when they would check for the visa prior to issuing your boarding passes.

The visa exemption dates are only from Jun 1 thru Sep. 18... so if you're departing on a flight to Brazil anytime between those dates, a visa is not required for US passport-holders.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:47 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Perfect timing for those who plan to go onto GRU. I checked and it works to MIA or JFK.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-december.html
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:28 pm

Hey guys, first post so hopefully this isn't too dumb.

I booked BOS->FCO->GRU with LIS as the layover on both trips. I have a confirmation number as well as a TAP reference number. (booked through Priceline) $235USD ai.

I'm holding off booking my return trip home from GRU as I am afraid that this fare might be cancelled. Should I be? Or am I good to go?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Avianca, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by g.henderson959
Hey guys, first post so hopefully this isn't too dumb.

I booked BOS->FCO->GRU with LIS as the layover on both trips. I have a confirmation number as well as a TAP reference number. (booked through Priceline) $235USD ai.

I'm holding off booking my return trip home from GRU as I am afraid that this fare might be cancelled. Should I be? Or am I good to go?
Ya wait a bit
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by delta spartan
Ya wait a bit
At what point do would you say is safe? A week? Month?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Tried for a while to get a long stop in LIS and OPO, but gave up.. Found some semi-acceptable dates on google/flights JFK-BCN/BCN-GIG for $214-230, but jumps to $330 when click on link to priceline/expedia/cheapo. Going to TAP website, it is very tedious to find similarly high prices by trying different classes (discount, basic, classic, etc.)

I wonder how many UA miles I would get on the "basic" fare with TAP..

As someone else indicated, business class ticket GIG/GRU - MIA/JFK for ~$360 return. 100% miles on UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.