Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Same day turnaround @ PVG; suggestions, tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same day turnaround @ PVG; suggestions, tips?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
Question Same day turnaround @ PVG; suggestions, tips?

First, let me begin by noting that I have tried to find an answer to my questions below by (1) checking the threads addressing turnarounds involving PVG and (2) private messaging 2 FTers who seemed like they might have helpful information...but I haven't yet received a reply to either PM. I am an AA ExPlat doing a MR from SFO to PVG via DFW with a same day turnaround. My inbound flight (AA #127) arrives PVG a little more than 3 hours before my return flight (AA #128) departs. I already have a 10 year visitor's visa for China. Also, I may be able to obtain a boarding pass for my return flight before leaving DFW since it will be less than 24 hours before AA #128 (PVG->DFW) leaves Shanghai. My questions are: (a) is there a "transit desk" at PVG like there is at HKG, SIN, etc.? (b) if there is no transit desk thus requiring me to exit the sterile area, how should I fill out my arrival paperwork (e.g., should I write "transit" for my "address" in China)? (c) is there anything else I need to know about negotiating this turnaround at PVG? Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
You must have a Chinese visa. You cannot transit China without it, unless continuing onto a 3rd county. 72 or 144 hours transit without visa requires a 3rd country destination.

If you have a Chinese visa, there is a transit desk where you can secure your boarding pass, but it doesn't eliminate your having to go through Chinese process. The process is only slightly less than if you are originating.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dlflyer2
You must have a Chinese visa. You cannot transit China without it, unless continuing onto a 3rd county. 72 or 144 hours transit without visa requires a 3rd country destination.

If you have a Chinese visa, there is a transit desk where you can secure your boarding pass, but it doesn't eliminate your having to go through Chinese process. The process is only slightly less than if you are originating.
So does 24 hour TWOV. Even for very short "stays" you cannot do out and back without a Chinese visa.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Starwood Gold
I already have my China visa (good for 10 years). So, if I understand you correctly, I can/should go to the transit desk and expect a modestly abbreviated immigration/customs/security process. Do you know how I should fill out my entry paperwork since I won't be staying anywhere in China? Should I write "Transit" for my "address" in China?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're not transiting.

Maybe turnaround?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe turnaround?

I realize I'm not, technically speaking, "transiting" (= going on to a different country) but I've never heard of writing "turnaround" in the field on the arrivals form where it asks for one's address in China? Given the language barrier and the fact that there will be no AA employees in Shanghai, I desperately want to minimize the likelihood of any misunderstanding.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
How many hours are you there? Just write Grand Hyatt Shanghai and if someone asks say you're gonna have lunch there.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
You do not really need the entry document. I would have it filled out and ready, just in case. You never know when you might need it. If you don't have it, it becomes a pain to find one.
If it is a quick turn, you don't want to go through entry and exit.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Question Exit and re-enter?

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
You do not really need the entry document....If it is a quick turn, you don't want to go through entry and exit.
I'd love to not have to "go through exit and re-entry" (as @ SIN) but others in this forum have indicated that, even though there is/may be a transit desk, I still would have to exit and re-enter the sterile area. Does anyone know (from previous visits to PVG) what the exact procedure is? To reiterate, I have a little over 3 hours "on the ground" between AA #127 landing and AA#128 (same plane) taking off.

Last edited by maxwell109; Feb 12, 2016 at 11:26 am Reason: Address implied question
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Question Providing incorrect information

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
How many hours are you there? Just write Grand Hyatt Shanghai and if someone asks say you're gonna have lunch there.
To reiterate, I will be on the ground a little over 3 hours between AA127 landing and AA128 (same aircraft) taking off. From what I can tell, it would be pretty much impossible to actually get to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai and back in this time. Couldn't this raise questions? I really don't want to falsify any official documents (especially in a Communist country where I don't speak the language and where there will be no AA employees on the ground...seems too risky) but don't know how to fill out the "local address in China" line on the arrival form. Another FTer has suggested writing "turnaround" but I'm not sure whether that will be understood at immigration? Has anyone done this trip as a MR before? I have to believe someone reading this has gobbled up one of these sub-4CPM trips for an AA MR before the mileage earning formula changes mid-year. Help, please!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by maxwell109
To reiterate, I will be on the ground a little over 3 hours between AA127 landing and AA128 (same aircraft) taking off. From what I can tell, it would be pretty much impossible to actually get to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai and back in this time. Couldn't this raise questions? I really don't want to falsify any official documents (especially in a Communist country where I don't speak the language and where there will be no AA employees on the ground...seems too risky) but don't know how to fill out the "local address in China" line on the arrival form. Another FTer has suggested writing "turnaround" but I'm not sure whether that will be understood at immigration? Has anyone done this trip as a MR before? I have to believe someone reading this has gobbled up one of these sub-4CPM trips for an AA MR before the mileage earning formula changes mid-year. Help, please!
Just write the name of ANY hotel in that field. The entry people don't really care about the details of your departing flight (since you aren't availing of TWOV).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you are really that worried I'd use the Da Zhong Pudong Airport Hotel Shanghai its in between both terminals. A 5 minute walk from either place.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
You may find this thread enlightening, particularly with respect to transfer desks and the need to go through immigration.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-transfer.html

I've not done a turnaround at PVG, but the times I have had a connection at PVG, I have had to clear immigration and then go upstairs and go through passport control. YMMV, though.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You may find this thread enlightening, particularly with respect to transfer desks and the need to go through immigration.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-transfer.html

I've not done a turnaround at PVG, but the times I have had a connection at PVG, I have had to clear immigration and then go upstairs and go through passport control. YMMV, though.
A handful of airline combinations support efficient transfers (e.g. nz/vs comes to mind), but the list is always changing to the extent that you should always plan on entering and exiting China.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I (USA passport) TWOV thusly:

TYO-PVG-HKG-TYO

??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.