Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Requirements in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Perhaps the US differs from other countries.

My connecting flight in FRA got cancelled - couldn't get out until the next day and apparently couldn't overnight in the airport. The good news was that it was mechanical and we all got meal/lodging vouchers.

Except...there were announcements because apparently a small number of pax on my flight did not have a visa to enter Germany. I have no idea how they were accommodated - they clearly were allowed to board the flight in the first place without a visa for the connecting country.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by chollie
Perhaps the US differs from other countries.

My connecting flight in FRA got cancelled - couldn't get out until the next day and apparently couldn't overnight in the airport. The good news was that it was mechanical and we all got meal/lodging vouchers.

Except...there were announcements because apparently a small number of pax on my flight did not have a visa to enter Germany. I have no idea how they were accommodated - they clearly were allowed to board the flight in the first place without a visa for the connecting country.
This is an entirely different scenario than a turnaround at a port, which requires a Visa. The OP in all likelihood would not be allowed to board without a visa. Most ports will grant a temporary visa which must be requested by the captain of the ship or an airline in case of mechanical problems or emergencies.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:02 pm
Used to be 'lohiadk'

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Didn't want to assume . I'm surprised they let you do that, though I can understand how getting a visa would be a pain in the *** in that instance. There is actually a Brazilian consulate in Kathmandu: https://brazil.visahq.com/embassy/nepal/
Yes I did visit the consulate but they required 10 days for processing and they said since I am not going out of the airport didn't need one. The agent in SFO who was issuing the boarding pass from SFO-JFK-GRU was confused and said She wasn't sure my luggage would go through and that I might need a visa told her I did the same thing a few days ago from DFW-GRU-JFK and she let it go. At the gate they didn't ask to see the visa as the boarding pass said docs ok.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
You got a great agent on a very good day )
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The Houston consulate seems pretty bad as well.
It's a pain, but nothing compared to the pain a Brazilian in Brazil has to do to apply for a visa to visit the USA...
Houston in October/November 2015 was doing same day, and was for 10 years. Finding a reservation slot wasn't super easy but I had plenty of time between booking and travel date. I bet I was only there for 30 minutes total. Obviously bulk/group submissions were set aside, but for in-person, it was hand your passport to the guy at one window, wait a little while, and then they would print the sticker for the visa, place it in, and then place the security sticker over it. Watch this happen a handful of times, and then yours is ready!
As for them getting a visa, based on Nov 2015 experience: apparently you don't need to do the interview and can mail in the application if you've had a visa within a certain time period. But she did get grilled pretty well at immigration when she came to visit a few weeks ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.