Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

21K AA miles needed for status - help !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: american airlines

Hey i'm new to all of this but am trying to bump my gold status to platinum status for next year..

Any ideas how i can get my 21 000 miles by year end?

there a buy miles promotion right now where i can purchase 18K and get 3500 bonus that would cost $531
or should i open a credit card?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

PS- if i buy 20K miles or more the bonus bumps to 7500 miles
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG RA, MR Plat, AA EXP
The miles you are referring to will not count towards status.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk begginermiler ^

OK, we've got a lot going on here first of which this is the wrong forum, so the MOD's will move it.

Please give this thread a read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ser-guide.html. I don't want to be negative but the chances of you doing a 21K MR this time of year, for a price you'd be OK with are extremely slim. EXTREMELY slim.

The miles you are talking about buying are to EQM (AFAIK, please correct me if I am wrong). For $531 AA is not selling you status, maybe $2,000 but definitely not $531. Take a look at the thread above and learn a little more about Mileage runs (because you didn't even tell us what airport(s) you can fly out of), and take a much longer look at the miles you are thinking of buying.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Welcome to Flyertalk begginermiler!

FYI. Requests of this form belong in the mileage run discussion forum, not the mileage run deals forum. I have asked the moderators to move this thread for you.

Regarding your request, there are important things to note:
- Buying miles via the AA Buy Miles program only provides Redeemable Miles (RDMs), which you can use for award tickets. Buy Miles does not provide Elite Qualifying Miles EQMs.
- Similarly, credit card miles and credit card signup bonus are EQMs only (there is one credit card that can provide some EQMs, which I mention below, but requires significant spend)

The only way (again with limited exceptions mentioned below) to earn EQMs is to fly. The MR Discussion forum (where this thread will be moved to) may be able to provide you some ideas for mileage runs if you provide your origin and budget. At this time of year, with holiday travel, deals are tough to come by and 21K miles would likely involve flying to Asia.

The AA Citi Executive credit card does afford you the possibility to earn 10K EQM per year, but requires you to spend $40,000 on the card to earn those 10K EQM. I expect that getting the card and spending 40K by 12/31 is impossible, and even then you would be 11K short of Platinum.

AA also offers a 'Boost' or buy-up program. You are not close enough to buy up to Platinum yet, but if you get to 35K miles from the 26K miles you are at now, then you would be able to 'Boost' but that would cost you $1199 on top of the mileage run cost to get yourself to 35K by year end. Details here

ETA: *grumble* everyone types faster than me

Last edited by ty97; Dec 9, 2015 at 12:21 pm Reason: grumble
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP,MAR-LTP;WoH-E;HH-G
Originally Posted by begginermiler
Any ideas how i can get my 21 000 miles by year end?...
You don't say where you are flying out of or what you might want to spend - I can see there are some CGK and SIN flights in the 21-23k miles range, from ~$850-$1200 around... flights.google.com can help here. Before you book, make sure the flights are on AA metal or AA codeshares with CX or JL, those will count 100% for your AA status.

I've done CGK before - but I stayed a couple of nights. Arriving at 0100 and leaving again early in the AM is a killer, especially in coach...

Good Luck!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by klrsmith

I've done CGK before - but I stayed a couple of nights. Arriving at 0100 and leaving again early in the AM is a killer, especially in coach...

Good Luck!
It's not too bad when both NRT-CGK flights are empty you get a whole row to yourself, aka poor man's lie-flat
Old Dec 9, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Lots to learn!

Thank you all so much for the responses! and so sorry about posting in the wrong forum...

i have so much to learn! Its too bad i dont have much time to get to the next status.. i was mainly looking forward to the 100% bonus points instead of the 25% with gold status.. guess it'll be something to look forward to next year!

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.