YYZ Transit on MR Question

Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
YYZ Transit on MR Question

I wasn't sure where on FT to post this, but thought this might be a good place.

An ORD-based friend is doing a MR to NRT to meet me for 24 hours in Tokyo in October. He bought a YYZ-ORD-NRT-ORD-YYZ RT fare and is planning to purchase a connecting flight ORD-YYZ to position (and then not take final connecting leg ORD-YYZ on the return).

He can buy a ticket ORD-YYZ on the same flight that turns around and makes the first leg of the trip to NRT. "Transit" time in YYZ is 50 minutes. My question is -- is this a legal option? Assuming he has done online check-in for the YYZ-NRT trip, any reason he shouldn't be able to make this connection? If it looks like it would go south before leaving ORD (delayed flight), he should be able to make arrangements with AA to just start the trip at ORD instead. Or am I missing something? Advice welcome.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I get what you are asking, and think he'd be cutting it to close. With that positioning flight being on another ticket he is one delay away from risking the whole MR - there is no guarantee that the same AC operates the return route to ORD (the start of his MR). I'd get to YYZ a little earlier just to be safe.

Also, there is lots of YYZ transit information here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No way I'd want to transit 50 minutes at Pearson. In optimal conditions, you'd be landing just as pre-boarding was starting on the other flight. If you're a tiny bit delayed, that's one thing - but remember, you still have to clear customs.

If you were exceptionally lucky and had Nexus/Global entry, maybe. MAYBE. I don't think you need to do a full clearance with an international transfer (check the thread above) but it's still a long process at a big airport. Don't do it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by noah
He can buy a ticket ORD-YYZ on the same flight that turns around and makes the first leg of the trip to NRT. "Transit" time in YYZ is 50 minutes.
Stop right there!

There was a ex-YYZ fare deal last year and I did tons of those. It was a great learning experience regarding YYZ.

Toronto Pearson "YYZ" Terminal 3 Connection Info

Same Plane Connection – NOT POSSIBLE, all Pax must clear Canadian Immigration and Pre-Clear for US CBP at Toronto Pearson Terminal 3

Basic Process
All Times given are suggested Brisk Walking speed, I take no responsibility should either immigrations want to put you in a holding cell

1) Get off at Gate A11-19 (Mainline), Gate A9 (Eagle)
2) Walk to Canadian Immigration “CBSA”, (Mainline Walk 7-10 Mins, Eagle Walk 5 Mins)
3) Canadian Immigration “CBSA”(Nexus 2 Mins, Non-Expedited 2-60 Mins)
4) Proceed through Canadian Immigration, through Baggage claim to Customs exit (4 mins)
*Customs Officer will collect your declaration form here, if you’ve pissed off your Immigration Officer, you’ll get pulled over for a Secondary here
5) International Arrivals to US departure, go upstairs and all the way back down to the other end of the Terminal (5-7 Mins)
6) Check-In for your ex-YYZ American Flight if you haven’t done so upstream
7) US CBP (Nexus/Global Entry 2 mins, Non-Expedited 5 Mins - God Know's How Long)
8) Pass your US Customs officer your Declaration Form and drop off any check bag if required, walk to security (1-2 Mins)
9) Security, Priority AAccess Available (1-30 Mins)
10) The Admiral’s Club is to Your Right once passed Security
Say Hello to Our Wonderful YYZ AAngels
If you have Irrop, they can seriously save you’re a$$
Or
Proceed To Gate (Eagle 3 Mins from Security, Mainline Gate A11 – A13 2-4 Minutes, Gate A14 – A19, 5 – 7 Mins)
All the above info is assuming, you are flying AA. If there is a terminal change, add more time. In other words, 50mins is not gonna happen.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...8-250ai-6.html

read it. lots of info for YYZ. If you have Nexus card, you will save few mins and LOT of hassle.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:41 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
That's way too short

I've got good news and bad news for you.

First the bad news. You can't make it in 50 minutes. For US-US connections within Terminal 3 (what you're doing on AA ORD-YYZ-ORD) the MCT is 90 minutes.

The (really) good news is that according to the wiki at:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-tickets.html

When you're flying on 2 OneWorld tickets (including 2 AA tickets) you'll be protected as if you're flying on 1 ticket, so you can relax about a delay screwing up your whole itinerary.

Last edited by RoutingWonk; Sep 3, 2015 at 5:42 pm Reason: Fixed the link
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
When you're flying on 2 OneWorld tickets (including 2 AA tickets) you'll be protected as if you're flying on 1 ticket, so you can relax about a delay screwing up your whole itinerary.
As long as one meets minimum MCT requirements for the airport I think.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Another thing to note...most times when you have an international itinerary AA won't let you do OLCI, you must check in at the airport with an agent to confirm your passport/visa details. So AA at ORD could issue you all the boarding passes but then as noted, you'll have to clear both Canadian and American immigration/customs and without NEXUS for fast track Canada entry and GE or NEXUS for fast track US entry, 50-minutes won't cut it.

As for AA letting you drop the YYZ-ORD segment and board your ORD-NRT flight there, they'd supposedly have to reissue and recalculate the fare on the ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
What would you consider safe for someone with global entry? Is two hours enough?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
No way. I've transited myself through YYZ twice recently on a similar type itinerary to get the cheap fare out of YYZ. You have to clear immigration, wait in a long security line and then customs. Even with a carry-on bag only you need an hour or more.

Global Entry doesn't get you anything in Canada. You can do it in 2. I did. But not 1.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
No way. I've transited myself through YYZ twice recently on a similar type itinerary to get the cheap fare out of YYZ. You have to clear immigration, wait in a long security line and then customs. Even with a carry-on bag only you need an hour or more.

Global Entry doesn't get you anything in Canada. You can do it in 2. I did. But not 1.
Thanks. I have a 2 hour turn with my only other option being an overnight in YYZ. Sounds like 2 hours "should" be enough, so I'll stick with my current plan. I hope the flight's not late.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks all for the feedback. If there were airside connections in Toronto it might have been possible but clearly it is completely impossible to clear immigration and customs twice, and security at least once, in 50 minutes. I'll tell him to spend the night instead.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Thanks. I have a 2 hour turn with my only other option being an overnight in YYZ. Sounds like 2 hours "should" be enough, so I'll stick with my current plan. I hope the flight's not late.
GE will save time on pre-clearing US CBP. You only have to worry about CBSA. Two hours is fair amount of time.

Btw, I have done overnite stays in YYZ. It's not a bad idea if you want to explore the nightlife a bit. Easy shuttle to downtown and a friendly bar crowd.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
GE will save time on pre-clearing US CBP. You only have to worry about CBSA. Two hours is fair amount of time.

Btw, I have done overnite stays in YYZ. It's not a bad idea if you want to explore the nightlife a bit. Easy shuttle to downtown and a friendly bar crowd.
The real issue is how fast you an get through Canadian immigration/customs and unfortunately GE doesn't help here, just as noted, back through US CBP. Also, if you happen to be doing your flight to YYZ and it's on UA/AC and you're connecting to AA/DL, or vice versa, you'll also have to consider terminal changes.

YYZ now has a rail link between it and the city centre. It runs from T1 (so you'd take the monorail from T3, get off and the Union/Pearson Express is just up the same platform) to the city centre (and would be three blocks from the club and restaurant district) in 25-minutes, runs every 20 minutes. Using the TTC express bus and subway is cheaper but takes about an hour from the airport to most city centre locations.

If your connection at YYZ T1 was from the US to an international flight, the transfer is very easy, with just a quick check of your passport and boarding pass and then back into the international departures pier. Not quite as quick at T3 though. However, in both cases any checked bags would go right onto your international flight and need not be picked up at Canadian customs and rechecked.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
The real issue is how fast you an get through Canadian immigration/customs and unfortunately GE doesn't help here, just as noted, back through US CBP. Also, if you happen to be doing your flight to YYZ and it's on UA/AC and you're connecting to AA/DL, or vice versa, you'll also have to consider terminal changes.
I don't have Nexus but CBSA never took more than 15-20mins. US CBP is a bigger roadblock for most people where GE makes it a 2min job. Ofcourse, terminal change add several mins.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
YYZ now has a rail link between it and the city centre.
That's really cool! So, no need for the YYZ shuttle bus anymore? Hope it's cheaper and faster than the damn shuttle bus. It was pretty damn expensive IIRC. It makes YYZ trips lot more cost effective suddenly. :-)
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by carsnoceans

That's really cool! So, no need for the YYZ shuttle bus anymore? Hope it's cheaper and faster than the damn shuttle bus. It was pretty damn expensive IIRC. It makes YYZ trips lot more cost effective suddenly. :-)
Unfortunately, you'd be hoping in vain. It's brutally expensive. Depending on whether or not you have a PRESTO card, it's between $40 and $53 round-trip. For that you get a seat, first come, first served. Don't worry, there won't be crowds.

Completely asinine, if you ask me. But no one asked me. :P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.