Wiki Posts
Search

Worth Trying for Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Worth Trying for Platinum?

Hi All, Just want your advice on whether its worth it for me to try for platinum on AA or not...

Looking at everything for this year I will end the calendar year at 38,5XX miles and 50 segments on AA based on travel I've already done or travel I already have booked/am for sure doing. There are a couple of other trips that I might do but I am not counting them as they may or may not happen (none of them would be for more than 1,500 or so miles).

I just passed 26,000 miles flown this year so I a fly pretty regularily and almost always choose to sit in main cabin extra (I am very tall...) and don't mind using stickers to upgrade. I am already Gold but am wondering if it is worth it to fly the extra 12,000 or so miles (or 10 segments). I fly out of ORD so there are usually some pretty reasonable fares to the coasts etc... What are your thoughts?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Obviously it's a personal choice, but if you can get some of these cheap domestic tickets and work in a few hours on the stopovers to enjoy the run, I'd probably go for it. But... that's just me. I put some value on being able to book MCE and exit rows in advance, as well as the double RDM. Another option would be to scope out one longer run - either the late in the year east coast to HNL and back runs that generally pop up, or GRU is pretty good right now & the MCE on the 777-300 is pretty comfortable, all things considered.

Edited to add my quick 'mileage math' on it-

If you're generally going to fly 30k-ish next year, then consider also that the difference between your RDM earn as a plat vs gold is 22,500 for those 30k flown miles. I'd value those miles somewhere around $340-$450, so that gives you a baseline for spending on a MR. Also, if you're going to fly the extra 12k miles, you'll earn 15k on your current status, so that's 'worth' some more there, maybe $200-$250.

Then, add on how you value the free MCE and higher status for sticker upgrades....

Last edited by CruisingAltitude47; Aug 31, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
Obviously it's a personal choice, but if you can get some of these cheap domestic tickets and work in a few hours on the stopovers to enjoy the run, I'd probably go for it. But... that's just me. I put some value on being able to book MCE and exit rows in advance, as well as the double RDM. Another option would be to scope out one longer run - either the late in the year east coast to HNL and back runs that generally pop up, or GRU is pretty good right now & the MCE on the 777-300 is pretty comfortable, all things considered.

Edited to add my quick 'mileage math' on it-

If you're generally going to fly 30k-ish next year, then consider also that the difference between your RDM earn as a plat vs gold is 22,500 for those 30k flown miles. I'd value those miles somewhere around $340-$450, so that gives you a baseline for spending on a MR. Also, if you're going to fly the extra 12k miles, you'll earn 15k on your current status, so that's 'worth' some more there, maybe $200-$250.

Then, add on how you value the free MCE and higher status for sticker upgrades....

Thanks a ton!! Using your math... It looks like I'm around $1,000 or so in hard benefits. Plus I LOVE flying so I have to consider it as something of "I'm paying for entertainment." Based on that I'll start looking at some longer flights to see if I can make it to PLT! Thanks again!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
If you are planning to fly internationally, the YES YES YES, its worth it! The lounges worlwide are alone worth the extra runs. Unfortunately no complimentary lounges for domestic flying and even if there were, the lounges in the US are pathetic (exception at least the big BA/AA/AB lounges at LAX and MIA). Also the difference in bonus miles (25% vs. 100%) is nice and so is the higher chance to score an upgrade.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Just booked ORD-MIA-ORD for $100. That leaves with another 10,000 to find somewhere... which should be manageable. I also miscalculated my segments (its actually 47). Probably much harder to find 13 segments at a decent price than 10,000 miles.

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Aug 31, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
ORD-LAX is $113 on Nov 4 and Nov 18 same day return. That's 3490 round trip miles, 6980 if you fly both days. ORD-SFO is $121 Sept 5, same day turn, 3692 miles. ORD-SAN is 157 on Sept 23, will yield 3446 miles. So for $504 I got you 14118 miles. Think you can do it? Google flight is awesome.

I just notice you needed 10k miles, skip the ORD SAN, 10672miles for $347, book it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
AA normally has pretty good fares to Europe during thanksgiving. One trip to FRA, CDG or FCO and you are good to go. Don't piece meal it together... go big or go home..
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I should have mentioned that I cannot travel during the week unless it is after noon on Thursdays or Fridays (long story). September is fully booked for me as well... Right now I'm looking at DUB..... Round trip with a same day turn. $760 and nets about 8,000 miles... Not the best... HNL nets a few more miles but its pricing out even higher. ANC is about 8,000 miles for 550 with a same day turn but its all US narrowbodies... OUCH

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Thanks all! I should have mentioned that I cannot travel during the week unless it is after noon on Thursdays or Fridays (long story). September is fully booked for me as well... Right now I'm looking at DUB..... Round trip with a same day turn. $760 and nets about 8,000 miles... Not the best... HNL nets a few more miles but its pricing out even higher. ANC is about 8,000 miles for 550 with a same day turn but its all US narrowbodies... OUCH
A true mileage run means leaving the US on Friday PM and returning on the same plane home from Europe. Less than 3 hours on the ground. You have plenty of time to do so
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltahater
A true mileage run means leaving the US on Friday PM and returning on the same plane home from Europe. Less than 3 hours on the ground. You have plenty of time to do so
Guess I should buck up and book one then! To/From Europe would be far more interesting a trip anyway
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Something like this would work, pricing $800/900 and sometimes lower on google flights. Can be done over a weekend easily with a few hours on the ground. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ORD-LAX-MIA-GRU-MIA-ORD

If you need to keep it to weekends, it works for a little more: https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...A234;a=AA;eo=e
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Some ideas for about $800, ORD-AMS, ORD-WAW, ORD-MXP, ORD-BUD, all great destinations. And you can spend 1-2 days on the ground if you want to see these great cities. ORD-CDG and ORD-FRA/MUC also.

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-AM...ble-1day-after

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-WA...ble-1day-after

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-MX...ble-1day-after

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-BU...ble-1day-after

https://www.kayak.com/flights/ORD-CD...ble-1day-after

Last edited by nk15; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks again all!! I'm looking at which of these I can make work the best. I'm a little nervous about getting a visa to visit Brazil (plus I speak ZERO Portuguese). How hard are they to get for the purposes I'd be getting one for (MR)?

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Sep 1, 2015 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If you plan to do some sight-seeing (or regardless), pick the shortest outbound route possible (that will give you the miles you need), because you will be exhausted upon arrival (unless you can sleep reasonably in coach). For Brazil, managing the visa, language, and safety issues maybe a bit too much for a brief weekend MR, IMO.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Thanks again all!! I'm looking at which of these I can make work the best. I'm a little nervous about getting a visa to visit Brazil (plus I speak ZERO Portuguese). How hard are they to get for the purposes I'd be getting one for (MR)?
I don't think it's difficult. I'm getting one for a run in late Sept, and I'm going with 2 other people. I'm able to do some meetings so I'm calling it 'work' for my visa, but one of my MR friends is just calling it tourism/travel, and she didn't have an issue getting an appointment (ours are both on the 16th). The online app is pretty easy. At my work we get them for people on a fairly regular basis, and don't have issues. I usually avoid MRs too where a visa is needed, but since it's good for 10 yrs, I figure it'll pay off.

GRU is a mid-range run as MRs go, decent amount of flight hours, but it does get it done in one trip. I'm doing GRU and CGK this year, and already did HKG, so GRU feels short!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.