Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need AA MR Help For ~20k Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Advantage Plus

I've been hammering away at ITA and Google Flights to try to nail this down, and can't seem to hit the sweet spot. I'm flying out of DFW, and trying to get 20k miles before year's end to get AA Platinum status.

I have one trip that I have to take with my son:

DFW-STR, departing Oct 15/16, returning Oct 18/19
~13k miles (w/elite bonus) @ ~$1400/person = 0.09cpm

ORD-STR (would want to avoid the ORD reposition if at all possible), departing Oct 15/16, returning Oct 18/19
~13k miles (w/elite bonus) @ ~$1000/person (0.07cpm)

After that, I'd need a quick 7k miles to close it out. I saw a recent post for BOG that has some excellent pricing out of IAD (irony of ironies, I'd go down to IAD only to come back through DFW ).

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT TxFoodGeek ^

It's a few more miles then you will need but there are some good DFW-ANC-DFW trips for as low as 5.6CPM. Check those out with ITA advanced routing code AA+ in each direction.

Good luck.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA
If I am not mistaken, bonus miles do not count towards elite status.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
elite bonus miles definitely do not count as EQM. For DFW-STR-DFW direct you will get at most 10438 EQM. For ORD-STR-ORD directly you will get at most 8840 EQM. Which carriers are you flying on that have direct DFW/ORD-STR flights?

What is your current EQM/EQP balance? What are the full routing of the flights you will be taking to Stuttgart? What carrier are they on? Which flight number & metal are they booked on (AirBerlin? AA flight #s)? These all factor in to how much EQM you will earn. Assuming you are on AirBerlin, you'll want to look at this - http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea.../airberlin.jsp

Oh, and minor comment - CPM are typically calculated on elite qualifying miles without any status bonus RDM in there.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikelat
elite bonus miles definitely do not count as EQM.
I didn't even see that, good catch ^
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Advantage Plus
Thank you all for the education. If it's not clear, I'm completely new to this MR game, and hope to get better with time. Good to know that my elite bonus miles won't count towards status, so effectively I need to concentrate on BIS miles.

Madone, I actually had considered going to ANC at one point. I'm also thinking of a run to KUL (spent some time there), where right now I can get there at around 4-5CPM due to the drop in the RM.

mikelat, I'm currently sitting at 21,530 EQP, 26,554 EQM for the year. Been doing a ton of short runs, so I've got 38 segments as well. So based on the EQM to DFW-STR-DFW run (assuming I go direct), I'll be ~13k short of Platinum.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TxFoodGeek
Thank you all for the education. If it's not clear, I'm completely new to this MR game, and hope to get better with time. Good to know that my elite bonus miles won't count towards status, so effectively I need to concentrate on BIS miles.

Madone, I actually had considered going to ANC at one point. I'm also thinking of a run to KUL (spent some time there), where right now I can get there at around 4-5CPM due to the drop in the RM.

mikelat, I'm currently sitting at 21,530 EQP, 26,554 EQM for the year. Been doing a ton of short runs, so I've got 38 segments as well. So based on the EQM to DFW-STR-DFW run (assuming I go direct), I'll be ~13k short of Platinum.
I don't see any AA partners coming up for DFW-STR direct.

My concern is that AA does not fly DFW-STR-DFW on its own metal. If you're flying on a partner flight # you need to check your fare class and see what your mileage earning rate will be. If you are on an AA codeshare with an AA flight number then you will earn 100% EQM. Any others may be dependent on fare class.

I do see some AA coded DFW-LHR-STR flights involving BA. If you do fly the AA coded flights then you'd earn 10500 EQM for the round-trip DFW-LHR-STR-LHR-DFW. With two of those added to your 26554 EMQ, you 'd still only be at 47554 EQM and needing another ~2450EQM to get to platinum.

Last edited by mikelat; Aug 31, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.