Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Interesting...when did you file yours? I submitted mine yesterday, but (not surprisingly) haven't heard anything back yet.
Yesterday (Aug 31) morning as well
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maverick17
nope. nothing that different. but i'm just trying to save the normal folk some time cuz RGN threads were a pain to keep up with. you seem very invested in this, so i'm sure we'll see more of these. to be clear, i'm not telling anyone what to do or not do. i'm just saying virtually everything said here has been said before, both pro and con.
But the circumstances are different. We've had communication from the airline affirming the ticketing, we've had time pass, and we have a different backdrop now from the DOT.

I really don't think this situation is very similar to that one.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:19 pm

I'm curious: Those who have bookings still intact, did you:

1) Pay with Brazilian CC?

2) Not provide your frequent flyer number?

My two itineraries (one originating in the US, so I at least have clear DoT nexus) were both cancelled, and both had AAdvantage numbers added after they were ticketed. Hell, I even added my Business Extra number before they were cancelled!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesb2147

My two itineraries (one originating in the US, so I at least have clear DoT nexus) were both cancelled, and both had AAdvantage numbers added after they were ticketed. Hell, I even added my Business Extra number before they were cancelled!
Mine is intact, paid with US CC, and I added my AA number later.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by JamilD
Got an initial response from the DoT; AA has 60 days to respond. Interesting that in the email, they refer to it as a 'mistaken fare'; are they setting the precedent for something?
FYI, AA has not responded yet to the DOT complaints filed on March 17 for the PEK fare "hold" issue, almost 6 months ago, so, plan accordingly...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
FYI, AA has not responded yet to the DOT complaints filed on March 17 for the PEK fare "hold" issue, almost 6 months ago, so, plan accordingly...
That's crazy. I apologize if this has been answered before, but does the DoT do anything if the airline doesn't respond in time? Or is it a deadline without consequence?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That's crazy. I apologize if this has been answered before, but does the DoT do anything if the airline doesn't respond in time? Or is it a deadline without consequence?
The DOT is reportedly reviewing AA's "hold" rule (for 6 months now), and that is supposedly delaying those responses. As the DOT is reportedly also reviewing the whole mistake fares issue, I wouldn't necessarily expect any AA responses until a definitive directive is issued by the DOT on this topic as well.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,

both our itineraries are still intact, were paid for with US credit card ... but used a corporate CC (business credit card) to get around residency issue
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Has anyone with an "exchanged" ticket been canceled? Apologies if I missed any earlier data points

Side note: I have United States selected as my country of residence on both of the tickets issued, so not sure if that makes a difference regarding AA's claim for some misrepresenting such info

Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav
Has anyone with an "exchanged" ticket been canceled? Apologies if I missed any earlier data points
I called in, got my ticket exchanged & reinstated, and then cancelled again later the same day.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

I called in, got my ticket exchanged & reinstated, and then cancelled again later the same day.
Ouch! Mine was ticketed a bit over a week ago and then exchanged earlier today without any contact between AA and myself.

I don't know why they would manually issue a ticket and then manually re-issue that same ticket only to cancel it...
At this rate, I might have to wait until I connect to the inflight WiFi on the DFW-HKG leg to book any hotels in HKG
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
At this rate, I might have to wait until I connect to the inflight WiFi on the DFW-HKG leg to book any hotels in HKG
I dunno about that... they may just cancel you midflight and chuck you out the door...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:38 pm

I'm thinking that perhaps some of us can add our data points to the wiki (similar to what people on the CC boards do for retention offers) so that the rest of the people following this thread can have a better idea of what's going on. Due to AA's lack of proper communication, I see few viable alternatives to know whether or not they're "done" with these ticket cancellations.

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I dunno about that... they may just cancel you midflight and chuck you out the door...
Judging by their actions as of late, I would not be entirely surprised if this were the case!!

Last edited by travel_mav; Sep 1, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:24 am

Side note: I have United States selected as my country of residence on both of the tickets issued, so not sure if that makes a difference regarding AA's claim for some misrepresenting such info

LOL same here.

Now wishing I'd never completed that section!!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G

1,Used a US Card

2,I was logged in during the booking so the number was added right away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.