Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN CP, Elevate Silver, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, National Exec
Previously ticketed - Re-Ticketed Today with new ticket numbers

For some reason, today my tickets seems to be reissued with new ticket numbers. Everything seems the same except I am no longer able to see the fare rules and the ticket price is lower than I paid. Has anyone encountered this? I wonder what is going on.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pb9997
Several customers claimed that AA charged their cards, different banks, some eventually disappearing/reverting afterwards and no change whatsoever on their reservations, which are still queued and waiting to be ticketed. Customers have received AA's e-mail informing charges rejected by their banks, yet with their charges approved on their cards, simply call AA and have that approval info attached to the PNR so the ticket gets issued.

Per your original post it seems that AX accepted the charge but the usual info that usually comes with the charge, such as ticket number, etc, is missing, which might contribute to a posterior drop; Unsure if AA or AX drops it due to relevant data missing.

Also noticed that these continued attempts, in lower level cards, usually tend to finally deny further charges, be it because limit has been maxed out or due to fraud algorithms, which ultimately make AA ask for a different card.

It seems AA BR are finalizing their backlog, which seem to consist on issues with payments or partners that failed to confirm space. For those still waiting for their tickets I would suggest patiently calling AA BR and letting them know your interest on the reservation, as AA is within their rights to cancel the reservation for both reasons above. Reports show that AA BR is willing to eventually negotiate a request partner flight that does not confirm to a own AA metal flight and finalize the issue.

At this point, if not ticketed, I would not let the reservation idle anymore; Suggest calling AA BR to negotiate any issues and they may instruct you to call them back within 2 days if ticket still not issued.
So... frustrated...

Called AA BR in SP and said that the charge went though. They looked through their records and mentioned the date but then asked for the approval code which I, foolishly, assumed was the same as reference number that's viewable on Amex's site. Nope! Apparently it's some six digit/character code. And then AA BR asked if I had a Brazilian card (the charge went through, why does it matter now. ).

So I called Amex Plat. After a bit of digging they flat out refused to give me the approval code because "the merchant is supposed to contact [Amex] approval department themselves".

I will try giving AA US a call before calling AA BR but this isn't fun
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
So... frustrated...

Called AA BR in SP and said that the charge went though. They looked through their records and mentioned the date but then asked for the approval code which I, foolishly, assumed was the same as reference number that's viewable on Amex's site. Nope! Apparently it's some six digit/character code. And then AA BR asked if I had a Brazilian card (the charge went through, why does it matter now. ).

So I called Amex Plat. After a bit of digging they flat out refused to give me the approval code because "the merchant is supposed to contact [Amex] approval department themselves".

I will try giving AA US a call before calling AA BR but this isn't fun
For this kind of international charge, I always prefer to use Chase over Amex. Chase (ritz) allow it went through even without pre-authorization.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by delusion
For this kind of international charge, I always prefer to use Chase over Amex. Chase (ritz) allow it went through even without pre-authorization.
Did you add an address in Brazil to your Chase account?

Amex let it go through without any issues, AFAIK... Right now on a call with AA US -- they claim Amex hasn't communicated auth. code to them so it's Amex's fault and that it's supposed to be done automatically... <stay tuned>

UPDATE: after talking to Ticketing and whomever else they said it's because my CC address is not Brazilian. Since I've heard that tickets re-price when country gets changed, I left things as-is for the moment.

Last edited by Rusdude; Aug 27, 2015 at 8:12 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Did you add an address in Brazil to your Chase account?

Amex let it go through without any issues, AFAIK... Right now on a call with AA US -- they claim Amex hasn't communicated auth. code to them so it's Amex's fault and that it's supposed to be done automatically... <stay tuned>

UPDATE: after talking to Ticketing and whomever else they said it's because my CC address is not Brazilian. Since I've heard that tickets re-price when country gets changed, I left things as-is for the moment.
Be patient, yet vigilant...

Be patient and eventually AA will either attempt another charge or send you an e-mail; Be vigilant to not let AA drop that reservation making sure it is queued to be ticketed.

Next option you offer them another credit card to be charged.

The auth code issue has nothing to do with card (not) being brazilian; Similar issues happened in Brazil, myself included.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 pm

Be patient, yet vigilant...

Be patient and eventually AA will either attempt another charge or send you an e-mail; Be vigilant to not let AA drop that reservation making sure it is queued to be ticketed.

Next option you offer them another credit card to be charged.

The auth code issue has nothing to do with card (not) being brazilian; Similar issues happened in Brazil, myself included.
Thank you for the support!

Called Amex and changed the address (used Four Points in Curitiba) but trying to call both SP and Rio numbers and getting some sort of a voice message -- are they closed?

Last edited by Rusdude; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:06 pm

Thank you for the support!

Called Amex and just address (used Four Points in Curitiba) but trying to call both SP and Rio numbers and getting some sort of a voice message -- are they closed?
It is 1am

Better try tomorrow...

Good night & sweet dreams
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:10 pm

It is 1am

Better try tomorrow...

Good night & sweet dreams
It's only 11 pm here in Houston So they close at midnight?

Good night to you too!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:39 am

Cool duplicate posted CC transaction

One of my flights was charged twice and posted twice on my Citi statement.

The BRL amount is exactly the same for the two charges (although the USD amount is different due to the charge being made 3 days apart - FX fluctuations).

Is there any way for AA to reverse a POSTED credit card transaction? I have a feeling I have to contact them to notify them of this error, but don't really want to call to mess anything up with my ticket.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by pluu1285

The BRL amount is exactly the same for the two charges (although the USD amount is different due to the charge being made 3 days apart - FX fluctuations).

Is there any way for AA to reverse a POSTED credit card transaction? I have a feeling I have to contact them to notify them of this error, but don't really want to call to mess anything up with my ticket.
I have the same thing on my statement. I'm going to give it a week to see if the charges drop. If not, I'll likely reach out to the bank first, then AA if needed. On the bright side, the charge is about $20 less than the pending charge was due to the fluctuations.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:44 am

It has been informed this might happen...

You need to contact AA with your PNR and inform them the duplicates date/hour they were both posted, informing the full card number. These notes go into your PNR and AA has up to five working to sort out the issue either reverting the charge or informing there has been another ticket issued with the same cost.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat
I love when mistake fare threads slow down because mostly everyone is ticketed. After that, there's new life in the thread when the trip reports start coming in. It's a beautiful game that we play.

Last edited by thadeusd3; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:18 am

It has been informed this might happen...

You need to contact AA with your PNR and inform them the duplicates date/hour they were both posted, informing the full card number. These notes go into your PNR and AA has up to five working to sort out the issue either reverting the charge or informing there has been another ticket issued with the same cost.
Same thing happened on my Chase CSP. Any reason to contact AA directly instead of trying to get it removed from the bank?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: available
just want to mention my story:

I jumped in pretty late on the deal and was trying to book, but in the last payment step I got some website error.
No confirmation email received - so I tried to book again and ended up with 3 trys.
Again no mails.

on 26th my CC got charged and I received 3 Tickets within 1-2hrs. all the same or similar itinerary.

Today I called AA brazil and they smoothly cancelled the 2 dupe bookings, and left me one.
The refund has already been issued.

That was easy

PS. AA Brazil is well aware of that error but they are cool with it.

Last edited by tonaight; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
Same thing happened on my Chase CSP. Any reason to contact AA directly instead of trying to get it removed from the bank?
You are correct, you can do it both ways; Though calling AA you get a definitive reversal instead of a temp reversal, pending merchant's approval, on your statement. Less follow-up on customer's side.

I tried being nice with AA, the same way they were nice with us, by focusing where the mistake stemmed from and letting them know the PNR, thus saving AA's time correcting the mistake.

I believe AA has spent a huge amount of time and effort playing the ethic's guy. Time to reciprocate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.