Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Low health risk MR destinations

Low health risk MR destinations

Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I am looking for some ideas for long distance interesting MR destinations that one can do mini-vacation MRs (1-5 days), that generally meet the following criteria:

1. No vaccinations are needed, if staying only in the destination city (i.e., no visits to low sanitation suburban areas), with low risk exposure (avoiding street food, eating in high quality establishments, etc).

2. No risk from crazy scary exotic diseases (e.g., mosquito born hemorrhagic fevers, again, if staying in the city)

3. Do not have to tape mouth when in shower, when staying in 4-5 star major western hotel chains in the city (Hiltons, Marriotts, etc).

I take it as a given that all Europe and Australia are like that, but I would like suggestions for South America, Asia, and S. Africa.

I believe PEK, HKG, EZE, and TYO likely meet these criteria, and I am sure many more cities in these regions, and I would like additional suggestions. I understand this is somewhat subjective and perhaps a bit controversial topic, but I would like to hear some suggestions.
Taping mouth when in the shower? Seriously? Just don't drink the water or gargle it in your mouth. No you will not get a disease with said water touching your lips.

BKK meets your criteria but I guess you'd be off put by garbage on the ground. KUL and SIN are obviously fine, too.

And all of S Africa and Namibia and Botswana meets your criteria as Nam and S Africa have potable water everywhere (I drink it every day, out of a pipes in the forest, too)

Mozambique is rad but it's a malaria zone so i guess that's a no go.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Thanks for all the input, do people get all the recommended vaccines (Hepatitis A/B, etc), I am curious, sounds too much hassle for a few days.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Thanks for all the input, do people get all the recommended vaccines (Hepatitis A/B, etc), I am curious, sounds too much hassle for a few days.
Hi, most vaccines you do not get for a few days.
Hep A: 10 years valid
Hep B: if you take the 3x thing, and your blood work is OK after test: lifetime (why int he hell not do this?)
--> for Heb B: don't forget it's not all about water here, if you get into hospital and they use wrong blood, needles....you are

Yellow fewer: actually I never needed it but i have it. why? I don't want to go get those vaccins just before an unplanned trip.

then i have a few others for travel and of course the usual.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Definitely get the basics. Hep A and B, Tetanus, MMR. Hep A and B are especially important because it is very common in China and other parts of Asia. You can get it from badly handled food.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chunky649
Definitely get the basics. Hep A and B, Tetanus, MMR. Hep A and B are especially important because it is very common in China and other parts of Asia. You can get it from badly handled food.
All of those are worth getting even if you live in the US or another similar Western country. There are small but regular hepatitus outbreaks in the US. Pertussis is on the rise in the US as well due to anti-vaxxers, but is still a relatively low risk.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
All of those are worth getting even if you live in the US or another similar Western country. There are small but regular hepatitus outbreaks in the US. Pertussis is on the rise in the US as well due to anti-vaxxers, but is still a relatively low risk.
Even here in the US, they are now recommending a Pertussis booster for adults who have not had one in the last 5 years if there is a new baby in the family to protect the infant. They call "cocooning." Easy enough to get, Pertussis is the "P" in the TDAP or DTaP vaccine, commonly known as a tetanus shot.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
So it's got to be a cheap trip free of bugs, health threats and hassles. Anything else ?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
So it's got to be a cheap trip free of bugs, health threats and hassles. Anything else ?
Op-ups to F and no annoying Brits around, just the basics, really...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Cleveland is nice.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Have we even discussed the health risk of DTV during these proposed MR's?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Have we even discussed the health risk of DTV during these proposed MR's?
I avoid MRing in Y, it's either points vaca-runs in cheap J or SWUs and mileage upgrades for me, so, my plan is only in Y+ by accident for a segment or so every now and then...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.