Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) OSL-JFK-OSL J AA/AY/BA/IB at 4k NOK/450 EUR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) OSL-JFK-OSL J AA/AY/BA/IB at 4k NOK/450 EUR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not sure, but i think you missed my point: I can't really see the relevance of an excuse - real or invented - for missing a last segment.

The airline generally has little sympathy with excuses for missing the first (or intermediate) sectors: so if it was gung-ho about pursuing the rascals who ditch their final flight, I can't see much hope for "I felt poorly" softening steely hearts. They'd ask you to cough up, and suggest talking to your insurer.
Cough up what? The phlegm?

There is no basis in the CoC for an arbitrary post-travel repricing.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas

That's what I thought. I find it hard to see how they can make you pay up. If this goes to court and you missed your flight due to a sickness or loosing track of time the judge would find it hard to rule in BA's favour and make you cough up an additional 2k.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlysuites
That's what I thought. I find it hard to see how they can make you pay up. If this goes to court and you missed your flight due to a sickness or loosing track of time the judge would find it hard to rule in BA's favour and make you cough up an additional 2k.
Indeed. BA has no intention of doing this or it would be spelt out in the CoC. The CoC is a very nice document that sets out exactly what BA's position is in very clear English.

But if any term appeared suggesting a post-travel reprice could be imposed by BA, I would be writing to the Director of Fair Trading to seek a declaration that the term was unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

Last edited by Calchas; Nov 26, 2015 at 7:10 am
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. BA has no intention of doing this or it would be spelt out in the CoC. The CoC is a very nice document that sets out exactly what BA's position is in very clear English.

But if any term appeared suggesting a post-travel reprice could be imposed by BA, I would be writing to the Director of Fair Trading to seek a declaration that the term was unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.
^
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Hallelja!! We've got there

I long since arrived at a view in harmony with yours: the airline is unlikely to pursue a passenger who doesn't fly the final sector of a ticketed journey, whatever the reason the passenger might have, or present, for curtailing or changing his/her itinerary.

The modest point I was making is consequent to that analysis: there is no reason for knowing winks about missing trains and feeling funny as an excuse for missing the final sector.

BA are eager to impose penalties for missing first sectors (whatever excuse is offered), suggesting that if they could do so for the same treatment of the final sector, they would. But they can't: or, perhaps more accurately, haven't the will to pursue what might be a damaging path.

So (yet again) no point in the allusion to missed transport links, heavy traffic between LCY and LHR, or even the demise of poor old Aunt Hilda.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD

The relevant part of BA's CoC seems to be this
3c2) Your ticket is no longer valid if you do not use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket. Where you change your travel without our agreement and the price for the resulting transportation you intend to undertake is greater than the price originally paid, you will be requested to pay the difference in price. Failure to pay the price applicable to your revised transportation will result in refusal of carriage.
So if you get off in London and do not take the final segment back to Norway, then:
  • You have failed to use all the coupons in the sequence provided in the ticket
  • This was done without BA's agreement
  • The price for the resulting transportation is greater than the price originally paid (Norway-US-UK will be higher than mistake fare Norway-US-Norway)
  • So BA might choose to request that you pay the difference in price
  • And if you refuse to pay the amount requested, then BA will erm refuse to fly you to Norway, which we all agree would be terrible punishment for not flying to Norway
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
The relevant part of BA's CoC seems to be this
So if you get off in London and do not take the final segment back to Norway, then
Agreed, let's draw a line under this

I've just seen yet another person got an operational upgrade to F on one of these tickets so they cannot be too upset about this mistake.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Agreed, let's draw a line under this

I've just seen yet another person got an operational upgrade to F on one of these tickets so they cannot be too upset about this mistake.

I meant to do this when I posted the BA CoC clause above. But it is interessting (well to me at least) to contrast the BA CoC with AA's, which is:

(D) WHERE A TICKET IS PURCHASED AND USED IN VIOLATION OF THE CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE OR ANY FARE RULE (INCLUDING HIDDEN CITIES TICKETING, POINT BEYOND TICKETING, THROWAWAY TICKETING, BACK-TO-BACK TICKETING, AA HAS THE RIGHT IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION TO TAKE ALL ACTIONS PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:
(I) INVALIDATE THE TICKET(S);
(II) CANCEL ANY REMAINING PORTION OF THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) CONFISCATE ANY UNUSED FLIGHT COUPONS;
(IV) REFUSE TO BOARD THE PASSENGER AND TO CARRY THE PASSENGER'S BAGGAGE
UNLESS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND THE FARE FOR TRANSPORTATION USED IS COLLECTED PRIOR TO BOARDING.

My emphasis and sorry for the CAPS but that's how the CoC's are published.
So, if your ticket is issued by AA and you drop the final segment, then AA could at its discretion come after you for the fare difference
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I meant to do this when I posted the BA CoC clause above. But it is interessting (well to me at least) to contrast the BA CoC with AA's, which is:

My emphasis and sorry for the CAPS but that's how the CoC's are published.
So, if your ticket is issued by AA and you drop the final segment, then AA could at its discretion come after you for the fare difference
I'll risk it

Is there any other field in consumer contract law where the seller is entitled to demand an arbitrary compensation/penalty fare increase (calculated after the agreement is concluded without the knowledge or consent of the buyer) if the buyer does not perform his obligations and walks away?

My suspicion is that, even if such a position were explicitly stated in the agreement rather than left to implication, it would be a hairy position to hold.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Then again, Oslo is quite nice to visit. Add the fact that the currency fell significantly the past year, and a overnight stay is not that expensive.
I just finished my 3 tickets and did enjoy Oslo.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:18 pm

Flew OSL-LHR-JFK on BA/AA last week crediting to BA still waiting for avios to post. How long does it normally take?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greendx
Flew OSL-LHR-JFK on BA/AA last week crediting to BA still waiting for avios to post. How long does it normally take?
Mine posted within a couple of days.

Anyone had a schedule change yet? I have a 4hr one on my flight in the summer. How are BA at dealing with changes?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Mine posted within a couple of days.

Anyone had a schedule change yet? I have a 4hr one on my flight in the summer. How are BA at dealing with changes?
Where is the 4 hour change? If it affects your arrival time by 4+ hours I'd imagine you could push for a FOC date change.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: SK, LH
i have a five minute change between LHR and OSL leg - both ways.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:19 am

I've had a couple of schedule changes. 1 very small one and 1 for my MIA-LHR flight changing departure from 19.30 to 18.10. This pushes my layover in LHR on the way back out to 5 hours which is a pain because I'm actually going to OSL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.