Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going to finally have to do a couple MRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver

I'm Ex Plat on AA and due to short flights this year I'm only going to end up at about 55K or maybe 60K of BIS miles this year. I'd like to keep Ex Plat (for the upgrades and SWUs that I give to my family) so that means I need to get 40K to 45K of MRs done before years end. I've never had to do an MR before and I read the first post with some complicated tools to try and figure out routes for flights. I'm hoping to do some International trips to maximize the total miles and keep costs under some control. I do have some SWUs that I can use for my trips so would like to be on American as much as possible. I fly out of PHX which it seems is one of the crappier places to fly out of for MRs. I can definitely place myself somewhere so long as the cost isn't too great. I'm trying to find something leaving on a Friday coming back on a Sunday.

So do you guys just go to Google Flights and start putting in stuff? I tried PHX to and open destination on the map and found things like PHX-BKK mostly on American through DFW and HKK for <$1K and that looks like it would net some pretty good miles. Is there an easy way to find those cheap "I don't care where I go" trips to rack up miles?

I'm looking to keep the cost under $2K with taxes and fees if possible to keep my Ex Status.

Also as I don't usually travel internationally do I need to look at Visas if I'm just "flipping around" and not staying there more than the night? I'm sure it may depend on where I go if it is required but I see quite a few people doing the PEK mistake fare run and wanted to know if you need something to enter in and leave the country in what amounts to 24 hours.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You are in the right path for looking at MR. Another suggestion is looking at the Mileage run forums for some cheap deals and see if you can get something similar from your home airport. Currently there is a LAX-PTY business run for around $700, not bad deal.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Look into CGK. It's been less than $1k from the west coast for about a year now - you can go through DFW or ORD and get ~20k EQM minimum. Multiple options to NRT to maximize eVIP chances and the JAL flights NRT-CGK have never been more than 33% full in Y any of the times I've gone. Everyone was able to get a row to themselves to stretch out. Plus it's an interesting and relatively inexpensive destination.

Due to the flight times you're looking at a 3-4 day trip but free visa on arrival for US citizens.

The DFW-HKG upgrade is considered to be one of, if not the, toughest to get so you may want to route through NRT if possible wherever you go.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

arollins - Thanks I will definitely check it out

IggySD - That was another of my destination to check on with going through NRT. A 3 day trip would be good. I need to verify booking codes on JAL to make sure I can get full credit for the miles... I figured DFW-HKG would be tough to get the upgrade.

Thanks again to both of you for your input...I will start checking it out.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Alright so I booked my flight for 10/1-10/3 and will land in CGK at 1am on 10/3 and depart at 9:55pm that same day. I'm going to try to stay on Pacific time I won't really have time to adjust. I assume I'll be shuttled out of the airport at 1am after going through customs and not able to get back in until earlier in the morning. Since the 1am time there is noon pacific I won't want to go to sleep until about 10am or so local time. Should I look at getting a hotel? It would probably cost me 2 nights since I don't depart until so late and I don't really feel like spending the money for it if it won't truly benefit me.

Does anyone know when I can get back into the airport and would I be able to use the OW Premiere lounge as I'm flying on JAL (but in economy)?

IF anyone has any experience in this, feel free to PM as I'll be doing this trip again in November and am looking for any advice.

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Alright so I booked my flight for 10/1-10/3 and will land in CGK at 1am on 10/3 and depart at 9:55pm that same day. I'm going to try to stay on Pacific time I won't really have time to adjust. I assume I'll be shuttled out of the airport at 1am after going through customs and not able to get back in until earlier in the morning. Since the 1am time there is noon pacific I won't want to go to sleep until about 10am or so local time. Should I look at getting a hotel? It would probably cost me 2 nights since I don't depart until so late and I don't really feel like spending the money for it if it won't truly benefit me.

Does anyone know when I can get back into the airport and would I be able to use the OW Premiere lounge as I'm flying on JAL (but in economy)?

IF anyone has any experience in this, feel free to PM as I'll be doing this trip again in November and am looking for any advice.

Thanks
Did this run with same exact schedule into/out of CGK at the end of January.

First, you can use the "first class" lounge at CGK as OW Emerald, but it is not materially different from the business class lounge except for being less crowded. Not worth spending extra time for.

I stayed at the Hermitage Hotel Menteng-Jakarta, a really fantastic hotel, ran me about $200 all-in. It's a business hotel and is much cheaper on the weekend. Their rate for Oct. 2 is $148. I've been there twice, arriving 1 am and 5 am. At 1 am, I booked that night and they extended me late checkout until 6 PM. At 5 am, they let me check in that night/morning, even though I had booked the following night. Breakfast buffet was sublime, very highly recommended.

Uber is now in Jakarta, and a ride to/from the airport will run you $7-8 each way (!). Standard Bluebird taxi will run about $30. I didn't have trouble getting an Uber at the strange hours I arrived.

I really liked Jakarta, it is a gritty experience yet I found the people friendly and the city safe. If you are so inclined, the old town is worthwhile to visit. Explore and eat some spicy nasi goreng.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Last edited by vhrum; Sep 5, 2015 at 7:39 am Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:34 pm

I've been looking at a few flights options for DFW-NRT-CGK and I've noticed tickets look to be ~$150 more expensive if you book through AA over JAL. Are there generally additional fees/taxes or EQM credit issues if you book through JAL instead of AA? I apologize in advance if I've overlooked the answer to this in another post I haven't yet come across and appreciate your patience.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by texasrob
I've been looking at a few flights options for DFW-NRT-CGK and I've noticed tickets look to be ~$150 more expensive if you book through AA over JAL. Are there generally additional fees/taxes or EQM credit issues if you book through JAL instead of AA? I apologize in advance if I've overlooked the answer to this in another post I haven't yet come across and appreciate your patience.
If you book with JL numbers, the odds are high your booking class is going to net you a pitiful number of miles (probably 30%). If you book with AA flight numbers (the more expensive ones) you'll get 100% on aa. I'd recommend paying the 150 if planning to credit there.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by texasrob
Originally Posted by danielm
If you book with JL numbers, the odds are high your booking class is going to net you a pitiful number of miles (probably 30%). If you book with AA flight numbers (the more expensive ones) you'll get 100% on aa. I'd recommend paying the 150 if planning to credit there.
+1 to danielm

When I booked my CGK run booking through JAL was $56 less but only got 30% EQM and 50% RDM. Just to be sure though check the booking classes and cross reference them here https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...ines/japan.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.