Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

MR - TSA or Immigration Concerns ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,

Folks - I am doing a MR run for the first time and literally turning around the same day from PTY .. just wondering for those who do MR, has this ever been a Immigration issue or TSA issue .. just curious ?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
TSA, why, you only go through them once, at the check in point, why should they care? unless you are planning on re-check in at another airport, still, why should they care, as long as your docs are in order, should be of no concern for them. Immigration, that is another issue, however, the concept of MR is known overseas, nothing new for them. They are just going to look at you funny. Just make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time to go through immigration, exit the airport and re-check again. Unlike domestics MR, where you can go directly to the gate, Int'l. runs are a different type due to the immigration aspect. You should also try and see if you can get your return BP early, provided the return is within 24hrs. If you are asked, be honest about it, why lie, you are only flying to get points/miles in order to achieve your elite status. It was a cheap trip and you bought it. I'm not familiar with PTY airport, only been there once, a couple of X-mas ago.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Exp, United Silver, Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arollins
TSA, why, you only go through them once, at the check in point, why should they care? unless you are planning on re-check in at another airport, still, why should they care, as long as your docs are in order, should be of no concern for them. Immigration, that is another issue, however, the concept of MR is known overseas, nothing new for them. They are just going to look at you funny. Just make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time to go through immigration, exit the airport and re-check again. Unlike domestics MR, where you can go directly to the gate, Int'l. runs are a different type due to the immigration aspect. You should also try and see if you can get your return BP early, provided the return is within 24hrs. If you are asked, be honest about it, why lie, you are only flying to get points/miles in order to achieve your elite status. It was a cheap trip and you bought it. I'm not familiar with PTY airport, only been there once, a couple of X-mas ago.
I agree. ^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
PTY airport: very easy. The airport itself is set up for Int'l to Int'l connecting.

You'll walk out into the main terminal after your flight, more like a US domestic flight than an int'l flight. If you want you can just post up next to your gate, or Copa Club, etc. No need to go through any immigration or customs. You can print your BP at the gate or ask for it at the Club, etc.

When you're done, post your PTY turn experience here as there currently is no actual data: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...s-please.html#
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
For international MRs which require entry into the U.S., two words. Global Entry.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Used GE at DUB last week and agent who took the printed cards held up my SO with a few ?'s wondering why we had gone thru 2x's in 8 days. First he asked her to ID her checked luggage on his computer screen then the usual any food etc questions. Only took a minute but it was the first time the agent has done anything other than waive us thru.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:51 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tblack15
PTY airport: very easy. The airport itself is set up for Int'l to Int'l connecting.

You'll walk out into the main terminal after your flight, more like a US domestic flight than an int'l flight. If you want you can just post up next to your gate, or Copa Club, etc. No need to go through any immigration or customs. You can print your BP at the gate or ask for it at the Club, etc.

When you're done, post your PTY turn experience here as there currently is no actual data: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...s-please.html#
Agreed about PTY when you land you are put straight into the terminal if you actually want to enter Panama you go downstairs to immigration. I did a ~30 some odd hour turn there, and immigration didn't bat an eyelash when I said I was only going to be in the country until tomorrow.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:47 pm

PTY is a huge transit hub. They are used to people staying for a night or two before continuing on. You'll be fine. No worries.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For international MRs which require entry into the U.S., two words. Global Entry.
+1 Best money I've ever spent.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
I did that MR earlier this year, with only a 4 hour or so turnaround. Panama City traffic is notorious (been there before) so I was hoping to just get down the street to one of the local malls for a quick bite. However, Panamanian immigration was not interested in letting me through for such a short period; the woman said "five hours" was the minimum time that they would let me through for. I suppose I could have said something different when she asked how long I was staying, but didn't really care that much. I believe if you have more than 9 hours layover and leave the airport you are subject to the Panamanian departure tax of around $40 or similar.

If you stay in the airport, as other posters have said it's no different than transiting any domestic terminal--you can just walk to whatever gate you like. I found the food options minimal at best, but the people watching is good as it's a major regional hub.

I returned through the notorious entry facility at MIA and was a bit concerned about my itinerary raising questions (you went to Panama for how long?) but with GE I was through in less than 20 minutes, no questions asked.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Not sure if it's common procedure but my last trip from PTY they had a secondary screening/x-ray setup at the gate.

It was a bit of a joke though because it was only cordoned off by ropes and not at all secured but still had to go thru the process of showing passport, x-ray hand luggage, etc. prior to boarding.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by flatdawgs
However, Panamanian immigration was not interested in letting me through for such a short period; the woman said "five hours" was the minimum time that they would let me through for.
YMMV - I did the exact same thing (pass the immigration with less than 4 hours between flights) and had no issues at all. And yes - they asked me how long I was going to stay and I told the truth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.