Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I learn about finding mistake fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I learn about finding mistake fares?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Arrow How do I learn about finding mistake fares?

New to Flyer Talk! I'm interested in learning how to use this site for mistake fares? Please let me know where I can look on the site and what to follow to find these
Old May 25, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You can get a start in the Mileage Run Deals forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/.

Be aware that, in the US, the Department of Transportation has ruled they will not enforce mistake fares purchased under certain circumstances - they are perfectly fine with an airline declining to honor a mistake fare.

UA recently declined to honor a recent mistake fare (cheap First fares miscalculated in the Danish Krona to the U.S. Dollar conversion), the subject of the USDOT decision.

American, though it allowed flying on their recent mistake fare to PEK, also barred those flying that fare from earning miles or status points.

See here (short PDF) for the USDOT action on United's "Great Dane" mistake fare. It establishes a clear precedent for how the USDOT is likely to handle many mistake fares in the future, IMO.

The golden era of mistake fares seems to be coming to an end in the USA. But, you'll still find myriad tips and tricks to economize and maximize your travel and travel awards here if you take the time.

(I've earned over five million miles on one airline alone, and probably twice as many on one hotel chain - and believe me, IMO it's more enjoyable to fly international First on a legitimate award than to stress the airline will drop the boom on me at some point and spoil my travel plans.)

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old May 25, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There is a wealth of information here on FT, besides mistake fares, to help maximize loyalty programs, learn things, and just enhance your travel experience. While I've occasionally picked up some mistake fares - some that were honored, some that weren't - the value I've received from other things I learn on here is much more than those mistake fares. Hope you will stick around and find what all there is here for you to learn and to contribute!
Old May 25, 2015, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Jessicaoff07,

As this topic relates to Mileage Run Discussion, that's were we're moving your post.

As JDiver aptly pointed out, things may be changing with recent DOT rulings.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 25, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by JDiver
American, though it allowed flying on their recent mistake fare to PEK, also barred those flying that fare from earning miles or status points.
I haven't seen a report on here of anyone not getting full miles and status points. AA had some language in their recent Double points promotion that cast this into doubt but I believe they have awarded both miles and points correctly on these tickets.

My son signed up for a platinum challenge right before taking one of these trips and his status and miles balance was updated before we even landed in PEK.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bevoinva
I haven't seen a report on here of anyone not getting full miles and status points. AA had some language in their recent Double points promotion that cast this into doubt but I believe they have awarded both miles and points correctly on these tickets.

My son signed up for a platinum challenge right before taking one of these trips and his status and miles balance was updated before we even landed in PEK.
That would be good of them; no bow warning shots had been fired, so they're not sending out torpedoes. Smart of them.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
That would be good of them; no bow warning shots had been fired, so they're not sending out torpedoes. Smart of them.
I agree. I'm guessing you might see a different result next time around.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Jessicaoff07
New to Flyer Talk! I'm interested in learning how to use this site for mistake fares? Please let me know where I can look on the site and what to follow to find these
Get live Twitter feeds to your cell!
Old May 29, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
One of the best uses of the website is finding legitimate good deals, such as $30-200 domestic fares, $400-600 economy roundtrips to Europe or Asia, and $1500 business roundtrips to/from Europe. They almost look like mistake fares, but they are legit deals, and you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by nk15; May 29, 2015 at 2:02 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by bevoinva

FWIW, I also signed up for the Plat Challenge not long after landing one of the DXB-AUS mistake fares. Somewhat oddly, AA had me listed as Plat before I actually left! I have no idea how long I was listed as such, seeing as I didn't know about it till the day before, but still. I flew BA on the DXB-LHR and LHR-ORD legs, and then AA to AUS. Per AA.com I've received full EQPs and EQMs for the trip, including the 50% bonus for flying in F. My total AA mileage balance following the trip stands at 21,366, though unlike your son my miles took 2-3 days to post (probably because most of my trip was on BA).
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:06 pm

It is kinda rotten of DOT to legitimize what is fundamentally a breach of contract by an airline when it refuses to perform the services purchased by a consumer at the price it offered to perform those services for.

Passengers need some reforms on air travel to have normal consumer protection and contract law applied to air tickets. Passengers should be able to nail an airline that refuses to perform in their state court under consumer protection law for unfair or deceptive business practices.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolinian
It is kinda rotten of DOT to legitimize what is fundamentally a breach of contract by an airline when it refuses to perform the services purchased by a consumer at the price it offered to perform those services for.
Yup. Sorry Jessicaoff07 there will be more mistakes, but they may not even get flown because of the new DOT rules.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:55 pm

I mean.. the DOT post seemed pretty fair

Additionally, the Office is concerned that to obtain the fare, some purchasers had to manipulate the search process on the website in order to force the conversion error to Danish Krone by misrepresenting their billing address country as Denmark when, in fact, Denmark was not their billing address country. This evidence of bad faith by the large majority of purchasers contributed to the Enforcement Office’s decision.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:31 pm

yes, but the issue is that even those who live in Denmark were cancelled too
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I flew the PEK mistake fare (upgraded to F with SWU's - ) and the RDM with bonus, EQP, segments, and EQM posted just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.