Search

First Mileage Run- tips?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 6:49 am
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
First Mileage Run- tips?

I just booked my first MR. I had a couple of questions I was hoping people here could answer.
I have a somewhat tight turnaround in MIA. Am I correct in assuming that if my inbound and outbound flight have the same flight number, that it will be the same plane? Or at least very likely be? If that's the case, it would allay some of my anxiety.
On that note, does the flight crew think this is weird, basically getting off a flight and then getting right back on? Do you get funny stares or treated like a weirdo?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: QF LTG
If it is the same flight number it isn't necesarily the same plane, it also means that you won't get the total mileage of what you flew. Most airlines credit A-B-C on one flight number as just A-C direct. Also if it's a turn around A-B-A on one flight number you will only get A-B mileage.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Even with the same flight number, it might be a different crew.

Recently I flew BWI-CLT-FLL on a single flight number. Both segments were flown on the same aircraft and I had the same seat on both segments; however, a change of crew meant that all passengers were required to de-plane in CLT, taking all carry-ons and personal items with us.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:06 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

I'm flying DCA-MSP-MIA-MSP-DCA. The MSP-MIA segment and the MIA-MSP are the same flight number. So I think I'll get the miles.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
I'm flying DCA-MSP-MIA-MSP-DCA. The MSP-MIA segment and the MIA-MSP are the same flight number. So I think I'll get the miles.

Yes you should get miles for each segment.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
You will have to deplane and re board. That is what I had to do last time I did a MR with a turn around and same flt number,
Old May 25, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I've done many MRs where I deplane and get right back on the same plane I just came in from. Usually with the same FAs - no problems when they recognize me as just having flown, I just tell them I need the miles. They've heard it before many times.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Yes you should get miles for each segment.
That's right. Had DCA-MSP and MSP-MIA been the same Flight number, usually you just end up with DCA-MIA miles.

Based on your routing I'm guessing you're on delta (since they operate DCA-MSP). With Miami not being a delta hub, its pretty safe to say that you'll be on the same plane. Most of the time on flights to non-hubs, the planes turn around.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by BThumme
Based on your routing I'm guessing you're on delta (since they operate DCA-MSP). With Miami not being a delta hub, its pretty safe to say that you'll be on the same plane. Most of the time on flights to non-hubs, the planes turn around.
Could also be an AA/US run, as both DCA and MIA are AA or US hubs (well DCA is technically a, "focus city.")

To the OP, sounds like you've done everything in buying your flights. As with anything else, make sure you keep copies of all boarding passes until you see all mileage post.
Make sure all of your electronic gadgets are fully charged, and bring an, "extension," type circuit breaker (I carry a 3-outlet + 2 USB in my backpack, even if all outlets are full, I've never had someone argue about unplugging theirs and plugging into my circuit breaker).
I always bring my good headphones for mileage runs.
Regardless of all electronics, I'll usually pick up a paper and bring a few magazines with me. Sometimes you just want a low-tech break
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:01 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Could also be an AA/US run, as both DCA and MIA are AA or US hubs (well DCA is technically a, "focus city.")

To the OP, sounds like you've done everything in buying your flights. As with anything else, make sure you keep copies of all boarding passes until you see all mileage post.
Make sure all of your electronic gadgets are fully charged, and bring an, "extension," type circuit breaker (I carry a 3-outlet + 2 USB in my backpack, even if all outlets are full, I've never had someone argue about unplugging theirs and plugging into my circuit breaker).
I always bring my good headphones for mileage runs.
Regardless of all electronics, I'll usually pick up a paper and bring a few magazines with me. Sometimes you just want a low-tech break
Thanks. And it is on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.