Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOT May 8, 2015 Notice: Enforcement Policy Regarding Mistaken Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I remember the last time regulators got lax with the ones they regulate... Ah, transocean!

I mean, business never seeks to undermine the consumer or cut corners or anything... NEVER!
Old May 11, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
On what basis are you making such a statement? Has there ever been such a case? Surely you can't believe a $400 US-China business fare is not a mistake? Please provide some substantiation before making such grand forecasts.
Delta $150 US to EU mistake fares? KE Palau fares a mistake fare?

Last edited by eloraculo; May 11, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reason: Fixed
Old May 11, 2015, 8:14 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
On what basis are you making such a statement? Has there ever been such a case? Surely you can't believe a $400 US-China business fare is not a mistake? Please provide some substantiation before making such grand forecasts.
In general I do think you're being a bit too assertive here. It's a forum conversation, not a court case that will win all.

Anyway, employees do not follow regulations up to the period. They are not robots or automated systems. An employee will bound to get suspicious of a cheaper than normal fare in a particular itinerary. I'm sure you've seen a couple times where employees make a few mistakes here and there on other places. It's the fact someone will pull the "mistake" fare card argument somewhere and cause a small fit somewhere because of some mis-understanding.

I'm making the point that it won't happen on a regular basis, but it also will not happen never.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can only roll my eyes at the heights some of you will go to in trying to rationalize your way out of what is a very simple and straight forward matter. Airlines are not capriciously going to cancel legitimate published fares. This is a very clear and specific exemption to deal with mistake fares that can arise for a variety of reasons. Given there are hundreds of thousands of fares revised daily, even the best Sigma error targets can be expected to generate a couple of these every year.
My fear would be that airlines could offer very low fares and when they don't generate the anticipated response from competitors and customers, declare that those fares were mistakes and attempt to void the tickets. They're not mistakes in that it was reasonable to expect competitors and customers to behave in a given way, but it just didn't happen that way and, as a result, the airline in question regrets that if offered the fare.

ADDED: What if the mistake fare is the result of mistaken analysis and reasoning, not a fat finger or exchange rate error or a case of forgetting to add surcharges, etc.?

So what are all those penalties about if passengers are "stranded" on the tarmac for more than a given amount of time? DOT has introduced a lot of consumer friendly regulations of late. However, the government is also there to ensure there is a viable domestic airline industry and part of that requires these companies to actually make money. If you check the record, US airlines have seldom made a profit in over 50 years of post-WWII operations, and before that required US Mail contracts to survive. The majors have all been through bankruptcy once or even twice. Sometimes when I read the posts around here, I have to wonder if anyone has ever run a business or dealt with meeting a pay roll. Seems you just spend your employers' money on airline tickets and hotel rooms and think you're masters of the universe!
I would argue that the DOT tarmac stranding penalty regulation itself constitutes a mistake.

Last edited by Pat89339; May 11, 2015 at 9:54 pm Reason: Use multi-quote
Old May 11, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My fear would be that airlines could offer very low fares and when they don't generate the anticipated response from competitors and customers, declare that those fares were mistakes and attempt to void the tickets. They're not mistakes in that it was reasonable to expect competitors and customers to behave in a given way, but it just didn't happen that way and, as a result, the airline in question regrets that if offered the fare.

ADDED: What if the mistake fare is the result of mistaken analysis and reasoning, not a fat finger or exchange rate error or a case of forgetting to add surcharges, etc.?
A good example... right now... Delta First Class... SEA-ANC, $185 one way / $370ish RT - many dates. Is that a mistake fare or a tactical marketing strategy? Available all day today.

Can Delta pull all the sold tickets and say 'opps', just kidding. It was a mistake to do this?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 110pgl
A good example... right now... Delta First Class... SEA-ANC, $185 one way / $370ish RT - many dates. Is that a mistake fare or a tactical marketing strategy? Available all day today.

Can Delta pull all the sold tickets and say 'opps', just kidding. It was a mistake to do this?
Maybe whether it's a mistake or not will depend on how AS responds. Were DL's beliefs about how AS would respond correct or not?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Your fear would be unfounded.

The basic principles of mistake in contract law are a good basis for these discussions.

Consumer laws such as the DOT's serve several purposes, but a couple of key ones are to (a) offer protection in a simple, easy to find location, and (b) to provide an avenue for recourse without the consumer needing the time or (potentially) deep pockets to take an airline to court.

But the current DOT 'protections' probably when too far in the case of 'bad faith' purchasers... it completely threw established law out the window by saying it didn't really matter if the purchaser knew it was a mistake, or acted unfairly, or it the result unfair on the airline.

Bring back the original intent of the regulation - 'consumer protection' - but to have the regulations as a form of sword if probably a step too far, which is what the DOT is now responding to.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
An actual fare available on AA.com. The fare is $2. It isn't a mistake, but who's to say the airline doesn't come back and say "Ooops, that was supposed to be $200."
Code:
Adult fare, taxes and carrier-imposed fees  

Base fare $2.00 USD 
  Per person 

CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES $516.00 USD 

PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $26.40 USD 
DENMARK  
PASSENGER SERVICE CHARGE $82.90 USD 
UNITED KINGDOM  
TRANSPORTATION TAX $35.40 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US APHIS USER FEE $5.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE $9.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE $7.00 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US SECURITY FEE $5.60 USD 
UNITED STATES  
US CUSTOMS USER FEE $5.50 USD 
UNITED STATES  

Total Adult taxes and carrier-imposed fees 
$692.80 USD
Maybe by pointing out that the YQ is >200x this Ł1 fare?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Believe me, the airlines will now cancel these tickets within hours of them being booked, not capriciously a few days before a flight (unless the flight is booked for a day or two from the date of the fare error).
I will agree that the airlines will now cancel these tickets within hours of them finding out, be it through internal audit or through reading of a blog post, which may or may not be within hours of someone purchasing one.

Last edited by legalalien; May 11, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
What is a mistake fare? Defination please.

How do I know it is a mistake fare? Just because it seems an great bargain it might be legit. This leaves the customer at risk.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Maybe by pointing out that the YQ is >200x this Ł1 fare?
First, it isn't a Ł1; it is $2. It originates from the US.
Second, the point is the fare is $2. Taxes and carrier imposed fees have no baring on the DOT ruling. It is always about the underlying fare, which in this case is $2. AA has said they don't issue $0 fares, but $2 is OK?

The whole $2 fare and $516 in YQ is stupid anyway, but that is a topic for another thread.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If I had to develop a rule, it would be that in order to invoke a "mistake", an airline would have to publish (in an accessible location and with regular updates) some sort of indication as to what the "correct" fare range on various routes would be, with particular attention given to the lower end of a regular "promotional" range (e.g. $599 one-way JFK-LAX in F for VX). Anything within that range would be deemed correct (even if the airline screwed up and released their entire inventory on Thanksgiving Wednesday at the bottom end of the range). Below that (e.g. $249 on the same route) they should have 24 hours to clear things up (I'd allow them until noon on the next business day if they extend the same courtesy to passengers as a matter of policy), but with the burden being on them. FWIW, if an airline says that their "lowest regular promotional fare" is $X on a route and they start running sales far below that without announcing the change there also ought to be hell to pay if they try to use that posted lower limit.

This wouldn't protect crazy "mistake" fares (at least, not in all cases), but it would also mean that wacky inventory releases would be a "touch luck" case for the airline.

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

On the other end of things, if a last-minute "mistake" is released it can be hard to tell if someone was "chasing a mistake" or simply shoving together a really good deal. For example, let's take the idea of NYC-LON $1000 in F. Ok, stupidly good deal, but if I get offered that and I have the time and money to make the trip a good time you can bet I'll dive at said trip without thinking twice...even if I have to shove hotels and other stuff together in a few hours.

===== ===== ===== ===== =====

One other thought would be that there's a real problem on the airline side. Why don't they have some controls in place whereby a fare that is "out of whack" has to be confirmed by a supervisor before it goes up on the website?
Old May 12, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it interesting that, at most, only 110 people actually complained about AA not honoring its "hold" fare promise related to the March mistake fare to China. You can clearly see the spike in the recently released DOT Consumer Report for May that covers the March period (p. 41).

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...015MayATCR.pdf
Old May 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by iahphx
I find it interesting that, at most, only 110 people actually complained about AA not honoring its "hold" fare promise related to the March mistake fare to China. You can clearly see the spike in the recently released DOT Consumer Report for May that covers the March period (p. 41).

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...015MayATCR.pdf
That's people who actually filed a complaint. Call it a hunch, but I suspect a lot of folks simply either canned their trips or dealt with the higher fares. Also, AA backed down on the not-honoring issue IIRC, so it is entirely possible that there would have been a torrent of complaints that were preempted.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:03 am

<SNIP>If you check the record, US airlines have seldom made a profit in over 50 years of post-WWII operations, and before that required US Mail contracts to survive. The majors have all been through bankruptcy once or even twice.<SNIP>
Yeah, they are really languishing right now . . .

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...er-2015-profit

$1.2 Billion first quarter 2015 profit at AA.

http://news.delta.com/2015-04-15-Del...Quarter-Profit

$594 Million first quarter 2015 profit at Delta.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/...million-for-1q

$508 Million first quarter 2015 profit at United.

While this is a bit unusual, notice that the airlines aren't dropping prices to reflect lowered operating costs as they increase them when operating costs go up. Nor are they providing more services or lowering fees on 'extras.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.