Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Here's a novel idea - stop posting mistake fares on Flyertalk (or any public forum)

Here's a novel idea - stop posting mistake fares on Flyertalk (or any public forum)

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
You think that the people blogging have no independent ability to judge the value of fares?

It doesn't matter what you call them. People who know what they are will know what they are and will tell others. And pretending that it is possible to keep deals a secret is equally ridiculous. There are simply too many people out there looking at the data now.
I know its impossible to keep everything a secret forever. I assume airlines have mistake and error as their key words for alerts and are quick to jump on it. If everyone stopped using the words error or mistake, these deals could possibly last longer especially in the case of not so obvious mistakes.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 13, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CDKing
How about people stop calling every goo deal a mistake. Just because one person thinks its a mistake doesn't mean it is so. Use the word mistake and bloggers are quick to jump on it
You think that the people blogging have no independent ability to judge the value of fares?
Some of them? Definitely not.
It doesn't matter what you call them. People who know what they are will know what they are and will tell others. And pretending that it is possible to keep deals a secret is equally ridiculous. There are simply too many people out there looking at the data now.
Mistake goes to the airlines' intent when filing the fare, and none of us are mind readers. We can just use our experience to assert, "much better than usual" or "much better than I have ever seen". And experience is totally subjective. The premium deals forum is littered with threads that go on for 3 pages arguing whether the OP was an idiot for thinking this was a good fare or that the scolders are ungrateful jerks, because this fare is good for these destinations right now, even if there were fares at half the price last year, etc.

Plus, I don't think it's helpful for an airline being able to point to a forum or thread or blog and say, "Look, people told them it was a mistake!!"

So I firmly support the idea that we shouldn't waste our time trying to classify or divine or assert or argue the airline's intent using words like mistake and error.

Last edited by janetdoe; Apr 13, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Plus, I don't think it's helpful for an airline being able to point to a forum or thread or blog and say, "Look, people told them it was a mistake!!"
Ha that's exactly what they do. Just pull a FOIA on the last few mistakes and there will be a screen print of FT and a few blogs
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Great the going to meetings-idea :-)

Hello, My name is Manuel and I have a problem!
All: Hello Manuel
Me: My problem is I need some good advice about cheap reasons to get away from home in a luxury seat ( to forget my misery at home) to the sun.
All: Welcome Manuel, here is the link of the "FT-secret-more-than-secret-than-previous-secret"-group.

Months later:

Me: My name is Manuel and I have a problem
All: Hello Manuel, welcome to the happily divorced community group
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
On a seriuos note:

Yes I am also pissed by the bloggers
Yes I am also thankfully to them, as being from Belgium, Europe it is not always easy to go to USA-based meetings. Or to just get 100.000 Miles for signing up a card :--)

So, yes, invite so I can go cheaply to the meetings :-)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:54 am
soy

Programs: various
To paraphrase Churchill on democracy....... the current premium fares forum is the worst method of handling premium fares, except for all the other methods.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.