Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for mileage runs starting in the South?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold

I am new to this and aware of how my newbie this post is! I'm wanting to do some Delta mileage runs starting somewhere in the South (MSY, IAH, LFT, BTR). I will go anywhere - US or international! Does anyone have any basic suggestions? Obviously, the most miles for the lowest price is ideal. I want to do this over the next couple of months, sooner is better!

Any help at all is very much appreciated!!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:18 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Geauxtigers! I have been watching MSY flights too. I've noticed that LFT seems to be cheaper than BTR lately.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you looking to earn a particular status level on DL? You realize that DL flights no longer earn redeemable miles based on mileage flown, right? Redeemable miles are now based on the purchase price of your ticket. So the only point of mileage runs on DL now is basically to earn MQM's to reach a particular Medallion status level. Generally, they are only worth it if you are going to be close to a particular status level based on other flying and need a few more MQM's to get you over the hump.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes, LBJ, I am doing it to earn status. Thanks for asking! I am just hitting silver now and want to make it to platinum.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH - SIN, JNB, and CPT can all be found for under $1000 (between $880 and $988) on KL/DL. Just be sure you don't book a KE ticket on the IAH-SIN flights.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

LBJ - I am checking those out now. Are you saying to avoid KE because I wouldn't earn MQMs?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LetsJet
LBJ - I am checking those out now. Are you saying to avoid KE because I wouldn't earn MQMs?
Correct, KE tickets do not earn MQM's. I'm seeing DL tickets from $830 for IAH-SIN now (Wed departure on AS codeshare with overnight in SEA, Sunday return)

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
WYSIWYG

Keep watching the MR forum to see if someone posts something Or

Play around with google.com/flights and use the price by destination map and see if anything looks good
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

LBJ & CDKing, thanks! Google flights is AWESOME and very addicting. Using it I found a flight from LAX to STT (with a JFK stop) for $305 r/t earning 8,196 MQMs. I booked right away it right away and I'm glad I did because it was gone an hour later when a buddy of mine tried to book it. I will already be in LA so it's perfect for a quick and easy run.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
That ATL/HKG FLIGHT FOR <$800 on DL looks pretty good right now. Add in the flight to ATL and your well within your parameters!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Well I did it - I went to Hong Kong on a mileage run over the weekend! $737 for over 18,000 mqms. Definitely a rough flight there but on the way back I had an entire row of economy comfort seats to myself. Woo hoo!! Thanks again for everyone's help getting started. I am already planning the next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.