Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRU MR Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george 3
TeamCarryon welcome to FT and a super informative post. GRU is my most frequent airport outside of the US - the connection info in #2 is particularly helpful to me. Thanks !!
Agreed! Thanks again to All for the informative feedback.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
My pleasure! I'm all for more info on navigating the sometimes crazy world of LatAm airports ^^
Old May 19, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Is 1:15 minutes enough to transfer from an arriving MIA flight to a LAX departing flight in GRU. Doing a turn around. Current AA fares are sub $450.

Thanks
Old May 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

Brazilian Consulate website says that visa is NOT required if only transiting Brazil and not exiting the airport international area.

The transit visa (VITRA) shall be granted to an alien that needs to transit through the Brazilian territory in order to reach the country of destination. The transit visa is not required by foreign citizens that only have to make stops or connections in Brazil, provided they remain in the international transit area of the port or airport in Brazil.
http://cgbeirute.itamaraty.gov.br/en...ansit_visa.xml
Old May 21, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KL808
Is 1:15 minutes enough to transfer from an arriving MIA flight to a LAX departing flight in GRU. Doing a turn around. Current AA fares are sub $450.

Thanks
Assuming your inbound is on time, it is certainly doable IMO.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL GM, AS MVP75K
No Brazil Visa For GRU Transit

[QUOTE=xSTRIKEx6864;24839742]Brazilian Consulate website says that visa is NOT required if only transiting Brazil and not exiting the airport international area.

In doing a GRU MR - I was told by AA I had to have a visa, but in an email query to the LA Consulate they said no. So I had a copy of that at checkin [my return was in the same record] and the agent also noted:
"ALSO VERIFIED IN TIMATIC PSGRS TRANSITING
THRU GIG OR GRU WITH ONWARD TKT DO NOT NEED VISA"

TIMATIC apparently being the system AA uses to check on documents needed for transit passengers.

When I got off the plane, I just went to the connecting passenger sign, which was a [empty] security check, then up one flight to the departing gate and lounge area.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
[QUOTE=beyond;25005072]
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Brazilian Consulate website says that visa is NOT required if only transiting Brazil and not exiting the airport international area.

In doing a GRU MR - I was told by AA I had to have a visa, but in an email query to the LA Consulate they said no. So I had a copy of that at checkin [my return was in the same record] and the agent also noted:

TIMATIC apparently being the system AA uses to check on documents needed for transit passengers.

When I got off the plane, I just went to the connecting passenger sign, which was a [empty] security check, then up one flight to the departing gate and lounge area.
Wow did that actually work for you? Given how incompetent, lazy, and uninformed 99% of AA's agents are, that's is somewhat miraculous. Good on you for making it happen and having the documentation on you. GRU is a hell of a MR these days given the insane fares.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
[QUOTE=beyond;25005072]
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864

I think "transiting" is generally taken to mean continuing to a another city, not returning from where you came. I'm surprised they let you on the plane at LAX. I think you got lucky.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
Well I dont think they're right, my cousing bought ticket GIG-ATL/JFK-CDG to fly with Delta. He was denied boarding/check-in Once him dont have USA Visa - he ask the US embassy in Rio and they said you will be just in transit on International Area - isnt required visa for this propose... He have to pay about 400USD to change to AirFrance in the end the Promo ticket costs almost the fullfare.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
[QUOTE=XLR26;25009023]
Originally Posted by beyond

I think "transiting" is generally taken to mean continuing to a another city, not returning from where you came. I'm surprised they let you on the plane at LAX. I think you got lucky.
I agree. The Timatic definition of transit also says that TWOV rules only apply when connecting to a third country. USA - GRU - USA is definitely not in scope.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:28 am

GRU Visa Update

Doing an MR this weekend, and used TDS (Traveldocs.com). Got involved with the Brazilian Consulate (yeah, in-person interview), who told me I DID need a Visa, even though I wasn't leaving the airport. This after showing them printouts of this thread, and having to explain a mileage run to them!

The Consulate representative told me the interpretation of the rules changes frequently, and that being conservative is the best approach. So, make your choice and cross your fingers. For my part, I got the Visa.....
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been denied travel on a turn around to GRU without visa by AA in the past. Just flew a MR there last week, however, and was able to turn left at int'l connections and go straight into the terminal.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I am planning on a GRU MR for Nov (already have BR visa).

Should I be expecting a grilling from BR immigration for 12hr stay? Basically overnite stay and then back at airport next morning.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
The check of Brazil Visa is dependent on where you are coming from. I have traveled between Brazil and Asia with US connection (i.e., DFW, LAX). This is the second time that my boarding passes for GRU were issued without checking if I have a current visa. The only possible reason for this is the lack of awareness of check-in agents of CX and AA in Asia. However, AA check-in agents in the US would always check of this travel requirement.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:57 pm

if you are transiting, does the onward segment out of brazil need to be on the same ticket/itinerary? i decided to change my end destination after booking the original to GRU and have a separate ticket for the onward/last segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.