Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA Segment Run out of Chicago (ORD)

UA Segment Run out of Chicago (ORD)

Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

HELP Please!: United Segment Run out of Chicago (ORD)

Hey all,

I need to make a segment run for the end of the year for as cheap as possible. I need 7 segments in the next 11 days. Would prefer for that to be as cheap as possible. O'hare Airport preferred, although I'm willing to drive/train somewhere to make it more feasible. Any advice? I can't seem to figure out how you guys get the huge segment trips to pop up out of the flight matrix.

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited by WMTribe84; Dec 20, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You need to drive to MKE or MLI- in order to force extra segment routing.

The problem is adding multiple segments will hit more hubs - and possibly increase fares. Segment runs are even tougher year end.

Thoughts:

MLI-ORD-CMH-ORD-MLI is $366 on 12/30. Leave at 6, back by noon.

Then that day.

MLI-ORD-ICT (stayover)-IAH-ORD. $473

So eight segments is $800ish. There are also fares out of ICT with 15-23 hour layovers in ORD - where you can then also nest a flight.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Seems cheapest 2-segment fare is ORD-MKG (Muskegon). So my thought for ex-ORD solution is:

UA:$244 + AMTRAK:$25 ORD-MKE/MKE-ORD/ORD-MKG-ORD (3PQS)
Mon 29 Dec
ORD-MKE
MKE-ORD via AMTRAK (or bus?)
ORD-MKG-ORD

Then two days later:

$320 ORD-MKG/MKG-EAU/EAU-ORD 4PQS
Wed 31 Dec
ORD-MKG
MKG-ORD-EAU
EAU-ORD

Total comes to about $590. Also possible to do two trips to MKG on the 31st, but I think you can't put that on a single itinerary, which puts you at risk in case of IRROPS on the first trip, so the above route should be safer.

There may also be other variations possible, so give other combinations of dates and cities a try. But I think you will only be able to do this spanning two days.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
There are some advanced same day change games you can play if you are gold or higher right now and have some daring in your blood.

For instance. If you book ORD-BWI early in the morning on a relatively high fare, you will be able to SDC to ORD-EWR-BWI. Then when you get to EWR you will be invited to change again to EWR-ORD-BWI or EWR-CLE-BWI. At least one of us in the SDC thread has done this a couple times before deciding to "actually" go to the destination.

With weather in the Midwest being what it is, I would be disinclined to wait til the 30/31st

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.