Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rookie to Mileage Run needing help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie to Mileage Run needing help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Exclamation Rookie to Mileage Run needing help

Help... I have 42699 points on united. I need 7301 points to keep my gold status for next year. I was researching and found there is something called a mileage run. So I would like to do a mileage run this weekend Leaving any airport in NYC to anywhere on the planet.

I called United but they weren't able to help me.. don't mind a partner airline. Can anyone help me please?

Unfortunately this is my only weekend 19th-22nd for travel....I can leave earlier and return later so I have a lot of flexibility but cannot travel Dec 24th onwards

YTD Premier qualifying miles: 42,699
YTD Premier qualifying segments:25.5
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:$6,325
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would not expect UA to help you - if you don't give them a destination, budget, etc.

It looks like you wish to have one flight over this weekend to gain 7301 PQM, from the NYC area (LGA, JFK, EWR). That is only possible with business fares, or flying outside the continental US - as NYC-SFO and back will only give you 6500 or so.

Moscow is your friend, if you get the onerous visa. $722, all-in, via LH.

http://goo.gl/flights/4JI8

V fares outbound, S fares inbound. Both earn 100% on UA MP. Gives you about 10K PQM.

Last edited by aacharya; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
PHL-ORD-ANC-IAH-PHL out 21st return 22nd is $1043, 8113 miles.
EWR-ZRH-DUB-LHR-EWR out 22nd return 23rd is $989, 7692 miles on UA.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;eo=e
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

WOW ...you guys are masters.
Moscow is out as it will require extra work for the Visa etc.

I really like the EWR-ZRH-DUB-LHR-EWR option and was able to price leaving on the 19th and coming back on the 22nd for a little more

Here is the deal, I have Gold status with united right now... and I would like to spend at least a day or night where I am going. aka can leave Fri and return Sun. Only doing a mileage run for Gold status for 1000K doesn't seem worth it. If I can actually see a place for day or two would be great.

Appreciate any additional options
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
weekend in hawaii?
sorry, I'm not UA and just poked around a bit and couldn't find you anything better. Was thinking California or Puerto Rico, with stops to make a less direct route, but didn't find anything that worked for your dates and enough miles... even this HNL idea here is not low enough cost per mile to be a mileage run, but I'm sharing it as just the best I noticed for your needs.

Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) — Fri, Dec 19

Newark (EWR) to Houston (IAH) — Fri, Dec 19
United 1545
Dep: 5:10 am
Arr: 8:10 am
4h 0m
Boeing 737
Economy (Q)
Food for Purchase
Layover in IAH
1h 10m

Houston (IAH) to Honolulu (HNL) — Fri, Dec 19
United 253
Dep: 9:20 am
Arr: 1:53 pm
8h 33m
Boeing 777
Economy (Q)
Food for Purchase
Honolulu (HNL) to New York (LGA) — Mon, Dec 22
Overnight flight

Honolulu (HNL) to Chicago (ORD) — Mon, Dec 22
United 218
Dep: 4:50 pm
Arr: 5:03 am
8h 13m
Boeing 777
Economy (L)
Food for Purchase
Layover in ORD
Tue, Dec 23
0h 57m

Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA) — Tue, Dec 23
United 387
Dep: 6:00 am
Arr: 9:08 am
2h 8m
Airbus A320
Economy (L)
Food and Beverages for Purchase

Mileage
10,258 total miles
CO2 Emissions
1,396 kg (estimated by ITA).
Airport Information
Newark Liberty International (EWR)
Honolulu International (HNL)
New York La Guardia (LGA)
Houston George Bush Intercntl (IAH)
Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
$1,043.09
Total cost for 1 passenger
$1,043.09
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks....cant seem to get that fare to HNL. Trying to return on Sun. I appreciate the help however. Anyone else? How can I search myself?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:43 pm

Try using Google Flights (open the Google browser, type "flights" in the search box).
Try typing in destinations you think would be fun, as well as give you enough mileage. Just make sure that you're flying on United aircraft. If you're flying with a Star Alliance carrier instead, check United's website to know exactly how many miles you're actually earning.
United has a calculator on their website that shows how many miles you'll earn based on flare class. Happy trails!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:10 am
Original Poster

thanks....this is really very cumbersome....I cannot find anything may just have to give up Gold after all.... this sucks... I really gave united a lot of my business this CY, and will have to be satisfied with Silver.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

So I tried Google Flights... the issue is all the cheap fares are multi segment... so I am struggling to find something for this weekend. Need is 7500odd PQM on UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.