Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA: Need 14k PQM and $800 PQD to keep 1k...have 3 GPUs + 5 RPUs...what would u do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: Need 14k PQM and $800 PQD to keep 1k...have 3 GPUs + 5 RPUs...what would u do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton + Marriott Gold

Never thought about MRs before, but now fairly close to keeping 1k and looking for MR options. I'm based in DC (can leave out of IAD, DCA or BWI). The trick will be to get a fare class that allows me to use the upgrades, without going too far over $800. And I know I'm getting greedy here, but wish list includes overnight or very long layovers in SFO or ORD to visit friends. Any ideas? Or point me to resources to look myself. Just starting reading about ITA....
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
really with 14K PQM needed you are probably looking at either something like IAD-LAX-LHR, or WAS to Asia. very unlikely that you will find an upgradeable W fare for $800. maybe also worth looking at DXB/KWI but i don't think one round trip will quite get you enough miles.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:34 pm

While not an exact plan, I'd trade your extra GPU/RPU for ecerts since a W fare that you want will be about $1.5k. Head to the Orient to stop at SFO or ORD. ICN or HKG come to mind. Use multi city booking to arrange the overnight at ORD/SFO.

With the year coming to an end the RPU/GPU won't go for much but it beats letting them expire.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Looks like I need to just go for the miles and try to offload the upgrades, but worth a shot to see if I can find a W class fares for close to $1k on either an Asia or West Coast/Europe run. Another newbie question...is something like ITA going to give me better info on lowest fare on say IAD-SFO-LHR-ORD-IAD, or just use United website?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Plat
From what I am seeing if it is just PQM you are after - ICN or CGK are running at $1150 which should give you what you need (~1000 PQD and 15-20k PQM).

If you wanted to use the GPUs - W class to ICN is running at about $1500.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
IAD-SFO-ICN-SFO-IAD out 11/30 return 12/1 is $945, 15155 miles.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
at this distance you can also consider trying to break it up into two trips if your schedule allows, using the POS/STI "dogleg" via IAH and EWR for about 9K and then a transcon for the remaining 5K.

You can also do the POS/STI "dogleg" in F for around $1000 and probably get very close to the PQM you need. Here is a post about the dogleg routing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23861990-post84.html
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions...schedule clears after 2 weeks, so will check out ICN and POS after Dec 9. Didn't realize til now that I was assuming 50% bonus PQM which i always get on business travel, but wont get on discount fares. Need to factor in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.