Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help with one way fare

Help with one way fare

Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Help with one way fare

I need to get to Bali in the next 2 weeks. I am located in Calgary, Alberta CANADA. I have 40,000 Amex Points. I'm only going one way. Can anyone help me get the cheapest possible fair pleaseeee!!! It would mean the world to me. I'm really new at all this.

THANK YOU

Patrick.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Welcome to FT!

While fare requests aren't normally the role of FT since your thread wasn't on topic for the Mileage Run Discussion forum I've relocated it here to the Information Desk which is a good place for new members to learn how the site works.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by patbuk
I need to get to Bali in the next 2 weeks. I am located in Calgary, Alberta CANADA. I have 40,000 Amex Points. I'm only going one way. Can anyone help me get the cheapest possible fair pleaseeee!!! It would mean the world to me. I'm really new at all this.

THANK YOU

Patrick.
Step 1: Use an online travel agency, or matrix.itasoftware.com to determine what the cheapest one-way cash fare is.

Step 2: Determine if you can get a Coach-class award redemption using AA or UA miles. If so, determine what the cost would be to purchase the necessary miles, and pay any taxes/fees associated with the award redemption. (Hint: UA is currently offering a bonus on the purchase of their miles, which are redeemable on carriers like AC, OZ, SQ, and TG, some combination of which may be needed to get to DPS with UA miles.)

3. Compare the cost of #1 with the cost of #2. Voila!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
You can get from Vancouver (YVR) to Denpasar, Bali (DPS) on Cathay(CX) for 42,500 British Airways Avios + $168 or 34,000 Avios + $ 288.20. There is availability on Thursday, Oct 30. Then you just need to get yourself to YVR.

To do this you need to open a BA Executive Club account (free), check BA.com for availability and transfer Amex MRs over to your new Avios account. Make sure you check award availability before transferring your MRs.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Step 1: Use an online travel agency, or matrix.itasoftware.com to determine what the cheapest one-way cash fare is.

Step 2: Determine if you can get a Coach-class award redemption using AA or UA miles. If so, determine what the cost would be to purchase the necessary miles, and pay any taxes/fees associated with the award redemption. (Hint: UA is currently offering a bonus on the purchase of their miles, which are redeemable on carriers like AC, OZ, SQ, and TG, some combination of which may be needed to get to DPS with UA miles.)

3. Compare the cost of #1 with the cost of #2. Voila!
Why just AA or UA flights and miles? AmEx MR points can be transferred to DL miles, although this usually isn't a good value. KLM serves DPS from SIN. Other SkyTeam partners also fly to DPS.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

"AmEx MR points can be transferred to DL miles, although this usually isn't a good value. KLM serves DPS from SIN. Other SkyTeam partners also fly to DPS."

All true, but the OP only wants a one-way redemption, and DL still charges the roundtrip redemption rate for one-way redemptions. That is not expected to change until 2015, and the OP is traveling this year.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you dude! Really appreciate that.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for looking that up for me dude. Really appreciate your time. The problem with that is getting from Calgary to Vancouver. The flight is the most expensive. Flying across Canada is not cheap. The 45k +140tax is looking like the better option at the moment.

BA is horrible for flying to Asia from my location (Calgary, AB) Their rates far exceed Aeroplan.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:35 pm

Sorry. Wrong post.

C.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Why no love for AC? 45K Aeroplan miles gets you YYC-DPS. You only have 40K but i believe Aeroplan lets you "top up" for ~3 cents per mile, so $150 for you. If you can find an available award on EVA Air, for the transpacific flight, there will be no/low fuel surcharges. I saw YYC-LAX-TPE-DPS available Thursday or Friday of this week for 45K miles + $128 in taxes/fees. So in total you'd pay $278 plus your Amex points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.