Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

17,250 Skymiles in a weekend under $1000?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE

I'm hoping for some guidance here....

I'm looking like I'll be 17,250 miles shy of DL Platinum, so I'm looking to do a weekend run in the next 2 months to achieve it.

I found BOS-ATL-SEA-ANC/ANC-MSP-BOS (8,217 miles) for next weekend @ $457, which at 5.5 cpm isn't great, but not terrible either. Problem is I'd need to do that twice + a short jaunt in order to get the 17,250.

Am I missing some obvious choices here from BOS to rack up those kind of miles in 1 weekend? Or if not 1 weekend, two weekends at lower than 5.5 cpm?

Thanks all.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You can get it in one shot by going to HKG for a little over $1000, but will need a three day weekend. For example, HKG-MSP-NRT-HKG-NRT-JFK-BOS out 10/4 return 10/6 is $1010 and slightly over your mileage needs. Check your routing carefully to make sure that it is enough miles.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll take a look at the HKG route...no issues with visa's or having to explain to customs why I'm in the country for under 12 hours?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:24 pm

There's BOS-BOM via LHR on DL and Virgin Atlantic for $867. You leave 6:30 PM friday and arrive back on Sunday 12:33.

It does leave you 2000 miles short though, but that's easy enough to manage I think.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...5-LHRBOS0DL187
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ender4576
Thanks, I'll take a look at the HKG route...no issues with visa's or having to explain to customs why I'm in the country for under 12 hours?
No visa for Hong Kong. I was just there for less than 24 hours and immigration did not ask me anything. If they do ask, just tell them that you are there because you are earning a lot of frequent flyer miles. They really don't care.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by shuom
There's BOS-BOM via LHR on DL and Virgin Atlantic for $867. You leave 6:30 PM friday and arrive back on Sunday 12:33.

It does leave you 2000 miles short though, but that's easy enough to manage I think.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...5-LHRBOS0DL187
I would stick with HKG. BOM will require a visa and is a less pleasant experience.

HKG does not require a visa and they do not bat an eye at mileage runners. Plus there is A LOT of COOL stuff to do in HKG (or take a ferry to Macau for the real SIN city)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BOS-JNB from $871 for 11/21 - 11/23. No Visa required. It's also possible to do a same day turn, but I probably wouldn't risk a two hour turn or put my body through that. There's an Intercontinental hotel at the airport as well as a cheaper City Hotel. I took the Gautrain to Sandton and stayed at the Hilton on my last run. Nice hotel with a nice lounge (good food and free booze). Also a decent AF lounge at JNB.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 18, 2014 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
BOS-JNB from $871 for 11/21 - 11/23. No Visa required. It's also possible to do a same day turn, but I probably wouldn't risk a two hour turn or put my body through that. There's an Intercontinental hotel at the airport as well as a cheaper City Hotel. I took the Gautrain to Sandton and stayed at the Hilton on my last run. Nice hotel with a nice lounge (good food and free booze). Also a decent AF lounge at JNB.
I can't imagine the pain an immediate turn would cause me. Going each way in J, with a week in between, in hard enough.

^ for Sandton. Hilton is great. IC is nice. Plenty of other great options.

Originally Posted by acvitale
I would stick with HKG. BOM will require a visa and is a less pleasant experience.

HKG does not require a visa and they do not bat an eye at mileage runners. Plus there is A LOT of COOL stuff to do in HKG (or take a ferry to Macau for the real SIN city)
^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by jbeckett
No visa for Hong Kong. I was just there for less than 24 hours and immigration did not ask me anything. If they do ask, just tell them that you are there because you are earning a lot of frequent flyer miles. They really don't care.
The same thing I did last year. They never asked so I never said anything.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the tips on HKG and JNB. I was very tempted but couldn't swing taking the Friday or Monday off of work to fit it in.

Ended up booking BOS-ATL-MSP-ANC-MSP-BOS for $525, a little over 6 cpm, which isn't great but the times were the only things really working with me for this weekend.

I'll need to do another (slightly longer) run before year-end, but this atleast gets me 1 trip away haha.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
5962 miles, BOS-LAX-PHX-LAX-BOS, Nov. 1, for $302.20. You will have to do this three times. There are some non-redeye options to SEA for similar prices. Happy MRing.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
You could do this routing on Delta at 5.4cpm
BOS-SEA-HKG-NRT-JFK-BOS at 985$ on October 17-19 but you'd miss work on Friday. Other dates available too.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Waiting in the MSP Sky Club now, awaiting my final leg of the MR.

2 of the 5 segments cleared (MSP-ANC and MSP-BOS). I was so happy to have that 5 hr turn in ANC, got to explore briefly and just broke up the day perfectly.

Thanks for the help guys, still need 1 more run to hit PM, but atleast now I can can take a more tolerable route haha.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ender4576
Waiting in the MSP Sky Club now, awaiting my final leg of the MR.

2 of the 5 segments cleared (MSP-ANC and MSP-BOS). I was so happy to have that 5 hr turn in ANC, got to explore briefly and just broke up the day perfectly.

Thanks for the help guys, still need 1 more run to hit PM, but atleast now I can can take a more tolerable route haha.
Sounds like a fun trip! For part 2, MSP-SEA-LAX-OGG-LAX-SEA-MSP is $714, same day return 11/1, more than enough miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.