Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhIteSidE
Confirm your Tickets

MH and Cheaptickets are canceling these reservations. DO NOT ACCEPT a refund and they will rebook you.

As reported by JCM9608 it appears that some of these tickets or segments may be getting canceled. If your itinerary pops up on the flymas.mobi site then you're probably okay. If not, call cheapticekts and speak with them. They must honor the ticket, so don't take "No" or "We'll send you a refund" as an answer. You may need to speak to a manager / supervisor.

Multiple reports in this thread indicate that cheaptickets/MH will book you on a flight combination (possibly with a connection in NRT) if you push and don't accept a refund.

Booking

It has been reported that this books at Cheaptickets and Orbitz. Having problems viewing your ticket? Visit the FlyMAS Mobile Site and enter your information.

Routing

This fare appears to be eligable for End-on-End construction, so it should be possible to book cheap(ish) AA or US fares and tack them onto the ticket. In order to get to and from SFO.

Mileage Accrual

This fare is a Malaysian (MH) codeshare on Cathay (CX) metal.

Cathay: No mileage accrual
Malaysian: 70% mileage accrual
American: 50% mileage accrual
US Airways: 50% mileage accrual

And remember, DON'T CALL THE AIRLINES while a deal is ongoing.
Print Wikipost

[DEAL GONE] CX/MH: SFO - HKG $532.60 rt

Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:45 pm

I filed a DoT complaint yesterday but haven't heard anything. In any case what Malaysia Airlines is doing is clearly a violation of DoT regulations

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Don't be a pushover. Threaten DoT action!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:49 pm

I just updated the Wiki with various posters' interactions with Cheaptickets and the airlines. If you have anything to add, or you get any definative action, please post. If you're not comfortable posting, please feel free to PM me and I will update the Wiki post accordingly.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
So if they are proactively canceling without notification, are they also issuing refunds? Do you file a complaint after the itinerary is cancelled?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I didn't buy any tickets in this deal, but this might be the first time I've ever heard of MH canceling error fares. I have flown on a few error fares with them and all of them been honored (even all the rules associated with it) - so much so that I know as long as I have an e-ticket number, I am good to go.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Didn't participate in this rodeo, but been to plenty of them, just use this template:

To whom it may concern:
On XX, XXX 20XX I purchased a ticket form XXX to YYY on SITENAME.TLC for travel on DATE 1 and DATE 2.
I received a CONFIRMATION/EMAIL/ETICKET at TIME on XX, XXX 20XX which confirmed that I had a ticket for travel on those date.

I received a CANCELATION/NOTICE that the airline would not honor this fare from NAME and s per DoT Regulation 399.88, (Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a mistake.)

I am hereby filing a complaint against ABC, BCD, DEF. I requested that my ticket be reinstated in full as I had originally booked.
Sincerely,
A. Flyer
Please visit this site: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfmif you want to file a complaint
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:01 pm

I'm wondering about this one-way flight missing situation. I got my SFO --> HKG flight "disappeared" from flymas.mobi, but my brother booked other flight times and had his HKG --> SFO flight "disappear".

Me:
MH9193 01:00 SFO --> 06:10 (+1) HKG Disappeared
MH9194 14:10 HKG --> 11:45 SFO

Brother:
MH9195 13:45 SFO --> 19:00 (+1) HKG
MH9192 00:30 HKG --> 22:15 (-1) SFO Disappeared

I'm wondering if others see the same thing? Is it date dependent maybe?
Shouldn't it be possible for me to switch the itins to MH9195 & MH9194???
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
One of my outbound flights "magically" disappeared as well. It is/was out of LAX:

Malaysia Airlines 9211 --- LAX-HKG, on Sept. 27 at 1:00am

My flights originate in LAS and the LAS-LAX and LAX-LAS flights are on AA. When I booked them, the entire itinerary displayed on AA.com and now only AA flight do.

Not too worried though since others are getting positive responses out of Cheaptickets.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
interesting

Received an email below from Cheaptix.
"CheapTickets record locator PBCTIXxxxxxxxxx

Contact Us

Dear xxxxx,

We have been notified by the airline of a significant change to your travel itinerary. Please contact CheapTickets at 1-888-922-8849 . We'll do our best to accommodate you on flights suitable to your schedule.

Sincerely,

CheapTickets Travel Team

*** This message was sent automatically. Please do not reply. ***.

------------------------------------------

I am currently on the phone with Cheaptix, and they said the note that was on my account stated that my only option was to receive a full refund from cheap ticket, and that the reason for the cancellation was that MH is no longer code-sharing with Cathay. I brought up the DOT regulation rule and E-ticket validation, which by law requires me to be flown. Agent was really kind and agreed. I am currently on hold while she tries and calls MH (we all know how that will pan out) and sort this. However, if nothing comes out of this, the agent already knows that I'd like to have this escalated to a manager/supervisor...will keep everyone posted!

Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Speedis1
I am currently on the phone with Cheaptix, and they said the note that was on my account stated that my only option was to receive a full refund from cheap ticket, and that the reason for the cancellation was that MH is no longer code-sharing with Cathay. I brought up the DOT regulation rule and E-ticket validation, which by law requires me to be flown. Agent was really kind and agreed. I am currently on hold while she tries and calls MH (we all know how that will pan out) and sort this. However, if nothing comes out of this, the agent already knows that I'd like to have this escalated to a manager/supervisor...will keep everyone posted!

I have called in recently. They say the only option is to accept a refund, then they ask my permission to issue the refund.

I had a dream where a company wanted as many people as possible to opt-in to waive their rights by voluntarily agreeing to a refund.

I informed the company that I declined their offer of a refund and I wanted what was booked.

I asked them to book me on a flight with the same source/destination on the same days and they declined.

Malaysian Airlines declines to speak with me, asserting that CheapTickets is my travel agent.

I recorded the audio call, I may edit out personal details and post.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

I just filed a complaint. I was on the phone for 1.5 hours with Cheaptickets' supervisor.

Similar to other posts, Cheapticket wants to just refund me my fare (which will take 45 days!) and be done with it.

I don't think that's fair at all and want further compensation; I have incremental trips out of HK planned and booked.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
For me, I know the risk that I was getting into, so I don't want to be greedy (karma), so all i want if one can call it "compensation" is to just let my relatives fly on those dates or similar dates. Still on the phone.... tick tockity...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Speedis1
For me, I know the risk that I was getting into, so I don't want to be greedy (karma), so all i want if one can call it "compensation" is to just let my relatives fly on those dates or similar dates. Still on the phone.... tick tockity...
I don't know what you mean by "risk that I was getting into." I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just presenting my point of view.

I was planning a trip to Asia. My friend told me there was a cheap rate on Malaysian Airlines. I found the rate, and booked it. I figured it was an introductory fare, or an "overbooking" thing, where maybe MH bought a bunch of capacity and was selling it quick to get a bunch of cash.

I did not suspect that it was a false advertisement, and I'm still not sure it's the case.

I theorize that MH authorized someone to make this price available based on the assumption that they would conclude negotiations for codesharing or inter-carrier ticketing, and they sold tickets based on this assumption. When their assumption wasn't realized, they chose to harm me, the customer, violating the contract I reasonably relied upon.

So, I didn't know what I was getting into. Maybe I'm naieve. I figured that with all the problems MH has had recently, they will be super careful and not make more mistakes. I'm still not sure if this is incompetence or malice.

All I know is that US Law protects me from them doing things like this, and if they made a mistake, it's their mistake, not mine. They need to make me whole.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:16 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SM-G900V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.141 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I haven't received any communication from anyone so far. Itinerary intact on aa.com and on cheaptickets. On mh site, lax-hkg segment and ticket number are gone. No emails or calls from anyone. There is absolutely no ambiguity here... these tickets were issued, charged and confirmed with pnr and ticket numbers. I fully expect them to be honored.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:12 am

I filed a DOT complaint just to get started on it given that it sounds like that might be the direction this is going to go so I wanted to get the pressure started on them to proactively fix this. I have already received a response from the DOT. They are investigating and will have MH contact me they stated.

Also, IF you file a DOT complaint (which if you had segments and ticket numbers deleted and were told your tickets are an error or aren't going to be honored or are going to be canceled, you should), make sure you specify that your credit card was charged (if it was) and the charge did in fact already post to your account (if it did) and provide proof of that in your submission, as they specifically asked me for that in the email they sent me and I had to send it in.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by in2it54
What a mob of "hard cases" you lot are !

We have a airline, that in the last 3 months have about 600 deaduns (including 30 odd crew) on their hands.
Now, nobody want's to fly with them ever again, financially they are going backwards, and then this .........

Could you just give the knife a hard tweak (rotating action) as you plunge it into their heart - make sure both chambers are trashed.

Talk about kicking them while they are down - phew
I have to agree with in2it54 here. Regardless of what some choose to say, I think everyone knew this was a mistake, these are mostly for tickets far in the future, and the cancellations happened quite quickly, not weeks or months after booking. It's also not a case of MH mis-pricing their own flight, where you could argue that they're only incurring the marginal cost of carrying you if the flight otherwise wouldn't have been full. Here, they mis-priced another carrier's flight that they don't even have a codeshare on and honoring it would essentially require them or cheaptickets to buy you tickets on CX.

With 24-hour holds or cancellation rights for consumers now, 24-hour voids for travel agents, and personal experiences where airlines and hotels have allowed me to change or cancel non-refundable travel when I've quickly realized I made a mistake, I think it's a bit unfair of us to not allow MH the same courtesy. MH also allowed all customers to cancel any tickets, even if they were non-refundable, if they didn't feel comfortable flying MH after MH17 was shot down. I love a great travel deal as much as anyone, but regardless of DoT regulations, I think there's a strong ethical argument to let MH off the hook here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.