Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] EMIRATES : JFK/DFW/LAX-KWI (KUWAIT) Rt. $387 - $547 a.i.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] EMIRATES : JFK/DFW/LAX-KWI (KUWAIT) Rt. $387 - $547 a.i.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:49 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
so thoughts...landing in KWI at 4:30pm local and stupidly (or rather had to) book the 3:50am Depature out of KWI back to DXB...I assume it's worth getting a hotel...but what I don't know is how much time I should give myself to get to the airport and through security...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: free agent
How's Kwi look for 1.5 hour turnaround (will ride in same whale jet between dxb/Kwi)?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsummy
The deal was cheap and I almost pulled the trigger but I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to go to Kuwait.
A couple friends and I booked the same flight and found the longest possible connection in Dubai that was <24 hrs. So we're essentially going to Dubai for 1 day and 1 night (due to the evening arrival) and our return flight is effectively DXB-KWI-DXB-IAH. We'll be in KWI for like 2 hours.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:17 pm

Don't know if anyone's still doing these, but I just flew it over the weekend. Wasn't painful at all, surprisingly, for a trip that was only 2.5 days start to finish. A night in Dubai spend eating some phenomenal Afghan food and just hanging around Dera (recommended if you're interested in just seeing people from everywhere and having good cheap food, esp. because its only a few minutes from the airport.) Kuwait for 16 hours the next day, which was more of a struggle to get really excited about, but I still had a great time.

Flights were great: empty on the outbound, giving me an entire center row to sleep in; the return was packed, but still not that bad given how tired I was.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:41 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by danielm
Don't know if anyone's still doing these, but I just flew it over the weekend. Wasn't painful at all, surprisingly, for a trip that was only 2.5 days start to finish. A night in Dubai spend eating some phenomenal Afghan food and just hanging around Dera (recommended if you're interested in just seeing people from everywhere and having good cheap food, esp. because its only a few minutes from the airport.) Kuwait for 16 hours the next day, which was more of a struggle to get really excited about, but I still had a great time.

Flights were great: empty on the outbound, giving me an entire center row to sleep in; the return was packed, but still not that bad given how tired I was.
People should still be doing them, I am flying out the end of next month, do you mind if I asked where you ate in Dubai? Looking for something close to the Park Hyatt, but we're landing fairly late (8ish) I believe.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:52 am

Sure! Where I went isn't too, too far from your hotel, but you'd probably want to take a taxi. Here's the address: https://www.zomato.com/dubai/afghan-kebab-house-naif, near al-sabkha bus stand. It's nothing fancy, juts a typical afghan restaurant (including the option to sit on a raised platform, which I like), but its kind of cool to be in a restaurant with people speaking 15 different languages and all enjoying incredibly good food. I also enjoyed the neighborhood, which was really lively.

There's also Aroos Damascus for Arab food, which is closer to your hotel and also really good.

As for going out, I didn't get the sense that landing late was a problem. I got in around eight, too, went to where I was staying, washed up and went out without any trouble. Customs and immigration took all of 3 minutes and the metro arrives nearly constantly.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by danielm
Sure! Where I went isn't too, too far from your hotel, but you'd probably want to take a taxi. Here's the address: https://www.zomato.com/dubai/afghan-kebab-house-naif, near al-sabkha bus stand. It's nothing fancy, juts a typical afghan restaurant (including the option to sit on a raised platform, which I like), but its kind of cool to be in a restaurant with people speaking 15 different languages and all enjoying incredibly good food. I also enjoyed the neighborhood, which was really lively.

There's also Aroos Damascus for Arab food, which is closer to your hotel and also really good.

As for going out, I didn't get the sense that landing late was a problem. I got in around eight, too, went to where I was staying, washed up and went out without any trouble. Customs and immigration took all of 3 minutes and the metro arrives nearly constantly.
It usually isn't an issue for me either, but it's been a while since I've flown 16 hours in Y, not sure how much my body will hate me. Thanks for the recommendations, will check them both out.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just got home from doing this over the weekend. Surprisingly painless in Y... Emirates is truly a world class carrier, even in Y. This was my first time on EK, but I'd put EK Y on par with UA domestic F. EK Y's probably even better, IMO.

I'm working up a full TR, so keep an eye out in the TR forum.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I just got home from doing this over the weekend. Surprisingly painless in Y... Emirates is truly a world class carrier, even in Y. This was my first time on EK, but I'd put EK Y on par with UA domestic F. EK Y's probably even better, IMO.

I'm working up a full TR, so keep an eye out in the TR forum.
I've been watching the flights loads over the past couple of days, it hasn't seemed full, so hopefully more room to stretch out in back. Looking forward to the report.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I will be travelling on this fare this month - Oct 20-21 in Kuwait and Oct 21-24 in Dubai. Send me a PM if you will be there during these dates and want to coordinate for a tour or a meal.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: free agent
took this trip last weekend. had no seat partner next to me (iad-dxb) in 2-4-2 (back section of 773), and the trip was breeze.. Just ask EK to give you all boarding passes if you are MRing to KWI. KWI is a crappy and old airport, but won't have any transit issues..

return flight back to JFK because i want to ride in a380 was one of dumbest decision i made. def gonna take 777 back to IAD for my future EK trips, instead of riding in my favorite airplane. EK crew were awesome, and generally make sure you are all good during long Y flights.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL GM
So my segments look like this: ORD-DXB, DXB-KWI, KWI-DXB-ORD

Kuwait is basically a daytrip, and I want to return to Dubai and sleep at the hotel. Would I be able to check in at Kuwait, then check luggage in Dubai, or do I have to lug everything to Kuwait and back again?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:59 am

Things I've learned now that I've gotten back, ex. USA EK is extremely strict about their carry-on policy and I've never had another carrier need to weigh it, it needs to be under 7kg or it will need to be checked. IF you have a 'layover' that is less than 24 hours in Dubai your luggage (in my case carry-on) needs to be checked to the FINAL destination (KWI) I would have never been able to do this trip if the middle seat was not open as the seats are quite narrow, both the food and service were acceptable. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.