Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] CM IAD to CUZ $399 ai

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by Duke777
Booked a long weekend in CUZ with my GF over Labor Day Weekend! Now waiting on ticket numbers...Cuzco is one of my favorite places and my GF has wanted to go.

Orbitz says I have until 11 PM EST the next day to cancel. Is this legit?? Surprised it's over 24 hours to cancel with full refund.
Yes, it's legit, basically all the airlines now give you until 11 p.m. the following day to cancel - I think it's just easier for them to keep track of one cut off time than everyone's 24 hour window.

And I couldn't book on COPA for whatever reason, but was able to do so on Orbitz.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:13 am

For those that have been before...any issues with altitude sickness? Especially for a short trip. I am thinking about booking this, but somewhat concerned about that. I have been at 11k feet before, but only for a few hours (Switzerland) - have read that it may be better to go down a few k feet (Sacred Valley, etc) before returning to CUZ
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by yuel
......unless you want to go to Lake Titicacca.....
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by gothaggis
For those that have been before...any issues with altitude sickness? Especially for a short trip. I am thinking about booking this, but somewhat concerned about that. I have been at 11k feet before, but only for a few hours (Switzerland) - have read that it may be better to go down a few k feet (Sacred Valley, etc) before returning to CUZ
Just take it easy at MP and most people are fine. My fiance and I did the whole Inca Trail so we needed to acclimate at CUZ for 3 days (and it still didn't help my fiance a whole lot). If you're concerned, go to the doctor prior and get prescribed some steroids before you go.

Chris
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Advance apologies if this is overly off topic. I recommend going to the Sacred Valley directly from the airport and saving Cuzco proper for after visiting Aguas Calientes, assuming you have that much free time. I liked Pisac more than Ollantaytambo, but the latter is arguably better for tourist attractions. Most hotels will have free coca tea in their lobbies.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: SQ
Cusco has higher elevation than MP. The typical plan is to arrive in Cusco and take it easy for a day or two to acclimate to the conditions. Going straight to MP means that no acclimating has been done since you're avoiding the higher elevation in cusco.

I'm 25 and had no issues at MP after taking one day in Cusco. I did have the altitude sickness pills, but really only felt anything in the 10 hours right off the plane.

I also hiked MP montańa, which is probably the most difficult hike at the site. If you're just looking to take some selfies at the site without much hiking I doubt any acclimating is necessary.

Of course if one is older or in bad shape physically this all changes
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by abitlost
Advance apologies if this is overly off topic. I recommend going to the Sacred Valley directly from the airport and saving Cuzco proper for after visiting Aguas Calientes, assuming you have that much free time. I liked Pisac more than Ollantaytambo, but the latter is arguably better for tourist attractions. Most hotels will have free coca tea in their lobbies.
Not to be contrary, but I wouldn't waste any time "visiting" Aguas Calientes. It's a tourist town with no appreciable sights. It's only real purpose is to have a place to catch the bus/train/drink a beer after hiking for four days.

Chris
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Too bad I cannot do this as I have other trips in Sept/Oct and again in November.

I visited MP in Nov 2012 and it was fantastic.

On arrival in Cuzco I had a driver (pre-booked) take me to Ollantaytambo, stopping off to visit the salt pans and another site (old Inca agricultural reseach site, forget the name). Stayed 2 nights at the hotel in the railway station, which has an excellent restaurant and 2 for 1 pisco sours (excellent, but deadly, had 4 since I did not notice anything after first 2, really started to hit during dinner and after some wine) in the evening. Took the train to AC and MP. Next day saw sites in Ollantaytambo before hiring a taxi to take me back to Cuzco, visiting a couple of sites enroute. Then spent 2 days in CUZ before flying back to LIM for a day.

I took medication to prevent the altitude sickness, which worked, but would get really tired out easliy, like needing to rest-up after every 200 meters in CUZ when walking to and from the hotel (up and down hill), and I am in reasonably good shape, though was almost 50 back then. Rumi Punku hotel was very good.

CUZ is a fantastic place to visit.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by aaron1262
3-4 nights. 2/3 nights in CUZ one night in Aguas Calientes so you can go into macchu picchu site at sunrise when there's usually less people. Also if you wish climb to the top of wayna picchu which only has 2 entry times per day at 7am and 10am. could spend even more time if you decide to visit the sacred valley
I agree with the sunrise part. I was the first one up there, caught the first bus up! Not too many people at first but then it got very crowded afterwards.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:30 pm

My in trip in total in Peru was only 5 days: Landed in Lima at night, flew to Cusco in the morning then took a combi van straight to Ollantaytambo for the day then took the afternoon train to Aguas Calientes (now called Machu Picchu Pueblo). After spending a night there, I went back to Cusco for a night.

Thankfully no altitude sickness experienced save for getting a little out of breath faster than usual. I drank plenty of coca tea tho!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by jhnellorx
My in trip in total in Peru was only 5 days: Landed in Lima at night, flew to Cusco in the morning then took a combi van straight to Ollantaytambo for the day then took the afternoon train to Aguas Calientes (now called Machu Picchu Pueblo). After spending a night there, I went back to Cusco for a night.

Thankfully no altitude sickness experienced save for getting a little out of breath faster than usual. I drank plenty of coca tea tho!
I did this exact same thing last November. Left the US Sunday evening. Flew to Cusco and did the collectivo to Olly and train to AC on Monday. Got up and was on the first bus up to MP Tuesday morning, walked the grounds early before it got crowded and then hiked up to the Sungate, then took an afternoon train back to Cusco. Early AM flight on Wednesday back to Lima with about 8 hours that I killed in Miraflores and a redeye home in time for Thanksgiving dinner Thursday afternoon. It was an awesome trip but I definitely want to go back at a slower pace in the future. I also never experienced an altitude sickness.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by zitozac
I did this exact same thing last November. Left the US Sunday evening. Flew to Cusco and did the collectivo to Olly and train to AC on Monday. Got up and was on the first bus up to MP Tuesday morning, walked the grounds early before it got crowded and then hiked up to the Sungate, then took an afternoon train back to Cusco. Early AM flight on Wednesday back to Lima with about 8 hours that I killed in Miraflores and a redeye home in time for Thanksgiving dinner Thursday afternoon. It was an awesome trip but I definitely want to go back at a slower pace in the future. I also never experienced an altitude sickness.
I booked Saturday-Wednesday. I've been sitting here considering a pre-11 p.m. cancellation. I really appreciate the info and confirmation that it is doable!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:22 pm

Does anyone happen to know if I can use a United voucher on this?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by waltonma
I wish so... But I don't think so. You cannot book this on CM website anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by waltonma
You can if you book the IQT fare since that's all on CM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.