Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
You are a life (and wallet) saver!! I have 5 folks going to san-iad-cdg first week in July for $1560 each. Great find!
Love this forum, for sure! ^^^

I am sitting here in the BOS SC for the next 4hrs....maybe I'll try to find some more good airfare deals....
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Craig6z
That would be the protocol, unless there was irregular ops and UA had to shift you to another US port of entry (such as EWR). Then you would be stuck flying back to RIC (unless you made other private arrangements to get back to DC, like take the train).
good point on the irrops

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but you may be better off building in an overnight (sub-24-hour) connection at IAD on the return to the US to deal with the off-chance that there is an operational re-route.
good idea if I can do it.. hadn't looked at that yet EDIT: just built a 20 hour layover at IAD.. great thinking.. that becomes a huge help

would UA be inclined in the case of IRROPS to just send me to IAD rather than RIC if I asked telling thats where I live.. or would they most likely just flat out say No.

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Apr 2, 2014 at 8:14 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Booked AUS-DEN-FRA-MLA-MUC-ORD-AUS over July 4th for $1516! Tight connection in DEN (45mins) though, is that doable? Crazy as I'm just getting back from a 3-week trip to the South Pacific a week previous.
The DEN-FRA flight leaves out of Terminal A, so you will really be in trouble if the inbound (arriving at Terminal B) is late, especially if it an RJ that arrives at the extreme east end of B.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
would UA be inclined in the case of IRROPS to just send me to IAD rather than RIC if I asked telling thats where I live.. or would they most likely just flat out say No.
in IRROPS they'll send you pretty much whereever you want to go, within reason, IMO. especially if they can get you there sooner than your actual ticketed destination.

i've done this frequently with SFO/SMF/RNO, and PHL/DCA/IAD/EWR.

with the 20 hour layover i'm sure they'll short check your bag to IAD, if you ask, meaning you can just walk away from it there. this of course assumes they know how to short check bags at FCO, which IME is contracted if i recall correctly? I dont know because i just had carryon last time and buzzed through the process.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
in IRROPS they'll send you pretty much whereever you want to go, within reason, IMO. especially if they can get you there sooner than your actual ticketed destination.

with the 20 hour layover i'm sure they'll short check your bag to IAD, if you ask, meaning you can just walk away from it there. this of course assumes they know how to short check bags at FCO, which IME is contracted if i recall correctly? I dont know because i just had carryon last time and buzzed through the process.
thanks for the information ^

between what you stated and the 20 hour layover, it should be no problem getting to IAD either via my regularly scheduled flight or in the case of IRROPS

I was just reading the fare rules and for you Non UA guys like me

TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD PURCHASE OF
ANOTHER TICKET DUE TO AN EMERGENCY OF
PASSENGER / IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER OR
TRAVELING COMPANIOIN.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED CONTACT CARRIER.
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 450.00.
NOTE -
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this available through any of the online travel agencies where a cashback opportunity would available? There's enough money involved here that cashback would also be worthwhile.

I know Flyertalkers like premium travel, but to me this is still a lot of dinero. It's really only worth it if you want to travel to Europe this summer, were planning on going anyway and don't have good award travel opportunities. This way, you can basically fly to Europe in biz class for about the same price as a coach ticket (which are expensive in summer).

I'm not going to be buying myself, but I am recommending the fare to affluent friends who don't play the mileage game. Also to business travelers.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

With the 20-hour, overnight IAD layover, the European checking in of the bag will most probably -- by default -- produce a bag tag for only up to IAD.

For those who don't know, you may be able to add a third segment/sector for US-Canada travel (non-stop or one-stop) in business class that only increases the cost by $100 or less and that sector can even be in the fall.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 2, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Tried searching but no results, if I fly Brussels Airlines BRU-JFK SN501 P Business class segment as shown on the UA inbound results page, how would the mileage accrual be for PQM? I dont see any P fare on the Brussels partner earning page on UA website.

Never mind, found a thread showing that its still up in the air because you have to call the MP center and credit the miles manually, not worth the risk to me.

Last edited by JetSetDave; Apr 2, 2014 at 8:57 am Reason: Found answer
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is this available through any of the online travel agencies where a cashback opportunity would available? There's enough money involved here that cashback would also be worthwhile.

I know Flyertalkers like premium travel, but to me this is still a lot of dinero. It's really only worth it if you want to travel to Europe this summer, were planning on going anyway and don't have good award travel opportunities. This way, you can basically fly to Europe in biz class for about the same price as a coach ticket (which are expensive in summer).

I'm not going to be buying myself, but I am recommending the fare to affluent friends who don't play the mileage game. Also to business travelers.
Orbitz gives cash back? Or did that bite the dust with the Orbitz reward program coming into the open for general public enrollment? The big US OTA sites cash back terms are far from great now and some that look to have a very good cash-back may even actually jack up the price paid at least some times.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA
Thanks to OP, just booked my parents on a trip they already had to book in the dead of summer to CDG...for $13 less than the fare they were looking at in coach. Love it.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by DCA1983
Thanks to OP, just booked my parents on a trip they already had to book in the dead of summer to CDG...for $13 less than the fare they were looking at in coach. Love it.
ALL excellent news! ^^^
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by rosepoint
Not sure if you can bail at IAD. Whenever I take UA overseas they always divide out the transfers to another process. Not sure what that process is but I understand if you go through the new Customs/Immigration not in the main terminal that it is possible. However, I ALWAYS get routed through to the main terminal where that isn't an option. There are flights to FCO from BWI through ORD.

Hopefully someone can help tell you and me how to bail if you have checked bags at Dulles. I'd only try it with carryon based on my experience.

Remove your bag tags after customs and say "I am home"
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Booked AUS-DEN-FRA-MLA-MUC-ORD-AUS over July 4th for $1516! Tight connection in DEN (45mins) though, is that doable? Crazy as I'm just getting back from a 3-week trip to the South Pacific a week previous.
If you have a chance, I would try and SDC the AUS-DEN flight to whatever is earlier. As already mentioned, you will not make the connection if your RJ is delayed. It can take 10-12 minutes just to reach the train, and then you have the train ride, plus exiting and running to the gate. Big risk, imo.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Remove your bag tags after customs and say "I am home"
Yeah no kidding. with the way the usa works, this becomes pretty easy on intl hidden city travel.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Just scored EWR-NCE tix for July 4th week for $1,585 each. Thanks, OP. This is awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.