Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's never been harder to find junk fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's never been harder to find junk fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by iahphx
As far as int'l fares go, those deals are mostly history, unless you consider an $800 airfare to Asia to be good. We used to be able to buy these in the $300s and $400s. Off-season Europe often went for the $200s and $300s. Prices have basically doubled in the past few years.
I used to be able to buy a gallon of gas for a buck, too. I suggest these facts might be related- a $300 fare these days isn't going to pay for the fuel required to move my body weight 10000 miles, let alone the other variable costs. Airlines aren't going to keep flying routes like that for very long just out of pride. They'd as soon cut the route.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
having 3 major carriers in a nation the size of the USA is unacceptable, given our reliance on air travel. if they'd start investing in rail it might be a different story, but alas i digress. one could argue that Europe has somewhere around 8-12 major carriers and a much lighter reliance on air travel, along with a mature rail network -- their prices are still high, but its not an apples to apples comparison either.
It's really, REALLY different, comparing Europe to the US. For one thing, flag carrier still counts for something. For another, LCC penetration started about 10 or so years behind what where WN is in the USA (FR really got going in the mid-90's, and WN was already eating majors alive by then), and I might note that it's doing to European flag carriers many of the same things that have happened here:

- FF program devaluation (look at what happened to Avios, M&M or Flying Blue)
- Service cutbacks (look at what's happened to LH intra-Germany)

Also, find me somewhere in Europe that is as isolated as PHX-TUS (with no major urban centers in 200 miles), or SLC, or as empty as Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas, or a lot of the Texas Panhandle...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... flag carrier counts for something ...

- FF program devaluation (look at what happened to Avios, M&M or Flying Blue)
- Service cutbacks (look at what's happened to LH intra-Germany)
No. Credit cards dwarf all in the devaluation trend. Service cutbacks, the recent ones you are talking about, are much more down to consolidation and codesharing. And not sure what you mean in the flag carrier statement.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Explore
Originally Posted by whimike
Really? You can get much better value than 1.68 cpm.
What if you need to travel between those points on that day? Do you pay $420 to travel less than 500 miles, or cash in 25K points instead? I'll do the latter, while watching for 10K saver awards to pop up closer to travel time (probably an idle hope just after Easter though).
For short flights one approach is BA Avios (you can fuel them with Amex MR)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sriegert
This.

JFK-SFO RT: 225$
EWR-IAH RT: 440$

there is no justification for this pricing other than monopolization/upward pricing pressure.

the DOJ has utterly failed
Why? Who do you think pays for those low fares? In the end they have led to bankruptcy filings by all the legacy carriers where bondholders and others have taken major hits, employees reductions in pay. The folly had to come to an end and a more rational marketplace emerge. Companies can only survive when they are making a profit and airlines are no different. Until the 60s, airlines in the US stayed afloat because of their government mail and other contracts/subsidies. Once these were removed, airlines had to make money from their passengers and for the most part they've failed until this round of consolidation. The days of living in a fool's paradise are pretty much over. Learn to live the new normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.