Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Premium Fares "Super Low $ "

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Fares "Super Low $ "

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i would read a premium subforum, but that makes it easier for people to access, which some see as a negative.. always pluses and minuses
Exactly! A subforum not only make it easier for us passengers to learn of discount fares, it also makes it much easier for airline reps to monitor developments in the forum. So, it's a double-edged sword . . .
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Calchas
Isn't this equivalent to saying, "I think only I should know about it and as few other people as possible."?
Actually i think it's more about trust than numbers There is a modicum of connection between the two of course.

a) Some people are happy to share widely without a trust agreement strongly in place to prevent wider dissemination.

b) Some people want a sense that it won't spread and are willing to hope that in a public forum with a tight community such as here nobody will spread the word. These are the people who feel there is a clear agreement and then get very frustrated when people break it (calling airlines to ticket, blogging etc.).

c) Others are only willing to share certain things unless where this is a strong trust agreement in place and don't view the public FT forums as providing this.

Options:
* as many have said: build up personal connections and earn trust/respect by being helpful. Then you are likely to get access to more of the chatter in category (c) above.

* enforce the sense of agreement on public FT forums. E.g. require people to read and OK an agreement on expected behaviour before gaining access to a forum, or limit it to people with a certain number of posts etc.

* Just be OK that the world is imperfect and this area is OK in it's current state of imperfection .
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:55 pm

Ethics?

On a separate point: is anyone else troubled by the ethics of booking a massively unprofitable mistake fare?

I'd like to live in a world where I'm treated fairly regardless of rules, and fiure that means I should do likewise! I dislike the idea that faceless organisations often struggle to do this (or don't try) and note I then start to be feel like descending to their level.

E.g. I'm slightly ashamed to admit I like that Etihad might loose a tonne of money on mistake F fares given two staff (one a manager) recently treated a friend in a manner I frankly consider evil (gloating they'd make sure he was deported to Syria rather than let him board despite likely knowing it's a death sentence for him: fortunately it worked out after some legal bribing in the office).
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Do you all realise that there is already a Good Deal Premium Fares thread that covers "Good Deal Premium Fares"? Over the past few years those threads have been among the best on FT, especially reading between the lines.

Good Deal Premium Fares 2014
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:33 pm

Regarding information sharing: I think it is a delicate balancing act of "sharing the love" with the community, and keeping it on the down low, so it doesn't get shut down [too quickly].

There are some who are very secretive and some who want to repost deals and yell from the rooftops. In the past I have found that being crypic and sending PMs can achieve the "best of both worlds" with many of these things. There are some things which I know that I do not discuss online at all.

At the end of the day, do your own research. I have been "around" for a little while, but I am still learning all the time.

I will also add that if you contribute positively to the community and attend events you tend to get more out of this forum (and it's cousins)...
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by zoombee
On a separate point: is anyone else troubled by the ethics of booking a massively unprofitable mistake fare?

I'd like to live in a world where I'm treated fairly regardless of rules, and fiure that means I should do likewise! I dislike the idea that faceless organisations often struggle to do this (or don't try) and note I then start to be feel like descending to their level.

E.g. I'm slightly ashamed to admit I like that Etihad might loose a tonne of money on mistake F fares given two staff (one a manager) recently treated a friend in a manner I frankly consider evil (gloating they'd make sure he was deported to Syria rather than let him board despite likely knowing it's a death sentence for him: fortunately it worked out after some legal bribing in the office).
i would hesitate to call this as massively unprofitable, as the one-way tickets were roughly $900. I'm sure that EY will sell these award seats to AA for around that if not less.

See this blog post: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...cost-airlines/
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I can't comment on whether or nor there was a breach of etiquette, without slogging back through the thread. But when everyone is in the middle of trying to book a great deal, I call it 'the shark tank'. Not many people are going to take time before their own bookings are complete to give pointers to strangers over the internet. It's survival of the fittest. The best thing is to jump in and learn how to swim so that you will be ready for the next time.
LOL, I call it a "Piranha Feeding Frenzy", and agree with you (bolding mine).

I'm not so sure we need a sub-forum for Premium fares. Moderators are capable of splitting out posted fares that result in numerous posts - like this, though this one was posted in it's own, dedicated thread - and the Premium Fare thread is valuable to sift through when making other bookings.

My only complaint is with myself; so many people here are so wonderful (e.g. FarSiren) in sharing, I just really hope I discover something like this one day so that I may share with the board.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by xray
Just like many things in life, timing is everything ....
Part of the problem with this particular fare is that it occurred mostly overnight (U.S. time). I'm in Thailand right now, 12 hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast, so overnight for Boston is daytime for Thailand. That certainly made it much easier for me to get on this.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Part of the problem with this particular fare is that it occurred mostly overnight (U.S. time). I'm in Thailand right now, 12 hours ahead of the U.S. East Coast, so overnight for Boston is daytime for Thailand. That certainly made it much easier for me to get on this.
Being based in "the east" (Australia and Singapore), the timing was good for this fare.

But for many fares I find myself sleeping (or flying, or even working) during the US daytime / evening when many fares are "found", so I miss out and only notice posts after the fare is dead.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:37 am

Super Bowl Special

I don't usually go through these messages,but this one caught my eye.Since the game was a blowout, I had a chance to play travel agent all day, using the ITA website for fare comparisons.Since I was looking to book a flight to Australia for November, I have been looking at the different fares for a couple of weeks now. From my point of view, it looks like Emerites is pushing the prices down to attract business and first passengers away, and carriers like Singapore and Cathay have been sitting quietly watching and losing . Well on Sunday, action started, as Singapore lowered its business fares,and then came Thai due its baht issues,followed by Vietnam and the fun went on.Then from left field,here comes Etihad to the rescue and lowered its prices $500 under Emerites.
First class is a bit different, but Emerites has dropped it's price enough to go east not west.I simply called Etihad and against all sense booked a first class ticket for just under $8000 roundtrip london-syd sin-lon. With all those planes those guys are buying,it should be interesting watching how friendly the legacy carriers are with the guys cutting first and business fares in half.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If people would like FT to consider the possibility of a separate sub forum for good premium fares, someone should start a thread to discuss this in the TalkBoard Topics forum. The arguments here in this forum to advocate this change won't get any attention here, but they will if you can make a case for a new sub forum in TalkBoard Topics.

It seems to me that there could be a case for this now, given that both DL (MQDs) and UA (PQDs?) now have some minimum revenue requirement for all of their elite status levels. Other FF programs might follow this trend in the near future. In a certain sense, AA has something like this for those who qualify using EQPs, although this isn't a lot different from all of the airline programs that give more status miles for premium cabin fares and sometimes even more expensive or full coach fare class tickets.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i would hesitate to call this as massively unprofitable, as the one-way tickets were roughly $900. I'm sure that EY will sell these award seats to AA for around that if not less.
Dang!

Originally Posted by yerffej201
tnx, good reading.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
I don't feel bad using these error flights because day in and day out airlines charge more for short distance flights than longer distance flights.

For finding them contribute, help others and when you find something great pm your
circle in case someone misses it.

I also have FT as my homepage but unfortunately for this latest US I recently changed to Chrome to easy translate the blogs and it homepages to google.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by zoombee
Actually i think it's more about trust than numbers There is a modicum of connection between the two of course.

a) Some people are happy to share widely without a trust agreement strongly in place to prevent wider dissemination.

Some people want a sense that it won't spread and are willing to hope that in a public forum with a tight community such as here nobody will spread the word. These are the people who feel there is a clear agreement and then get very frustrated when people break it (calling airlines to ticket, blogging etc.).

c) Others are only willing to share certain things unless where this is a strong trust agreement in place and don't view the public FT forums as providing this.

Options:
* as many have said: build up personal connections and earn trust/respect by being helpful. Then you are likely to get access to more of the chatter in category (c) above.

* enforce the sense of agreement on public FT forums. E.g. require people to read and OK an agreement on expected behaviour before gaining access to a forum, or limit it to people with a certain number of posts etc.

* Just be OK that the world is imperfect and this area is OK in it's current state of imperfection .
Bolding mine.

So if some of th ecognoscenti "adopt" another (say me ? ) after some PMs where I swear that I will not dissiminate this info 'Until _____date & _____ time .
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
I would love to figure out things too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.