Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA Deals out of DCA (preferred) or IAD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Deals out of DCA (preferred) or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
Same Day Change - if you're platinum premier or higher you can change to a different routing in the same fare class, not just class of service, at no charge within 24 hours of your scheduled departure.
That's not a 1P (Gold) prerogative? I thought it was, though I haven't tried it since I lost 1K. (What more can MP take from us?)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by itsme
That's not a 1P (Gold) prerogative? I thought it was, though I haven't tried it since I lost 1K. (What more can MP take from us?)
Yes, Gold and higher. Perhaps he was thinking of award ticketing/redeposit fee waivers, which is Platinum or higher?

Official UA SDC info is found here: United.com: Same-day flight changes

Or better yet, FT discussion/wiki here: UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) [2015]

EDIT: Bringing it back on-topic...amazingly, UA:$204 BWI-EWR-LAS-EWR-BWI 3.7cpm is still available for Wed 25 Feb. Early-morning departure. 9h in Vegas.

Last edited by wh6cto; Feb 22, 2015 at 10:49 am Reason: Added additional info re LAS fare availability.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
$194 was-las-was

Originally Posted by wh6cto
EDIT: Bringing it back on-topic...amazingly, UA:$204 BWI-EWR-LAS-EWR-BWI 3.7cpm is still available for Wed 25 Feb. Early-morning departure. 9h in Vegas.
$194 only for 10-Mar same day turn.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;eo=e

Also, $199 for red-eye on return.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by indiagenie
$194 only for 10-Mar same day turn.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;eo=e

Also, $199 for red-eye on return.
Be careful, the $194 is BWI-(SFO)-LAS-EWR-BWI is a STOP in SFO, so you may get less miles than you think, as SFO won't be credited.

Another interesting scenario is UA$202 BWI-IAH-LAS-ORD-BWI 4.4cpm, departing Tue 21 Apr 17:53, returning Wed 22 Apr 09:15. It's possible to do overnight without taking a day off (with a lenient boss). Unfortunately, with the RDM change I don't think this is good for me.

I just completed BWI-EWR-LAS-EWR-BWI run this morning, and went straight to work. The EWR-LAS segment was delayed 2h due to MX on inbound... then about an hour into the flight, I hear an announcement requesting medical personnel to identify themselves. Not good. Fortunately, wasn't anything that required us to land, so we continued on. The last segment was a DH2, which was "overweight" on baggage, and had to move stuff around in the cabin. Also, DH2 lav is way smaller than any other, and it took me a while to notice what's different...it doesn't have a sink/basin! (Hopefully, this isn't the new "space saver" concept they are thinking about on mainline.)
3.7cpm is good, but it was a bit rougher than I expected. I can definitely use some sleep now.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: PMUA
Be careful, the $194 is BWI-(SFO)-LAS-EWR-BWI is a STOP
(Hopefully, this isn't the new "space saver" concept they are thinking about on mainline.)
3.7cpm is good, but it was a bit rougher than I expected. I can definitely use some sleep now.
Thats the biggest problem for me to have an red-eye flight for mileage run, I would rather leave DC area at 6am in the morning and be back by midnight, rather than have an overnight flight that arrives at 5am to EWR and then wait for connection to DC area.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
)...Unfortunately, with the RDM change I don't think this is good for me.
Other than progress towards MM ... why MR ? remind me.

Heck, I like to fly, but with the crap product (for example slimline seats), flying isnt even fun to me anymore.

I'm .93MM and am seriously questioning even MRing for MM as I can't believe I'll actually receive a "lifetime" benefit as currently defined. I'd be shocked if MM is not devalued is some way down the road ... maybe even as soon as next year.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Three of WAS-LAX-BAH-LAX-WAS trips should get you to the MM status when the tickets cost far less than $1000/trip. The IAD-BAH-IAD portion of this trip is not stressful because you can get E+ row for yourself and you can sleep at your normal bed time (so it will not cause jet lag).

Last edited by Kmxu; Feb 27, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Three of WAS-LAX-BAH-LAX-WAS trips ...
Whoa !!!

... probably would have endured the pain in previous years, but I'm a GM and don't even have E+ for the first time in a LONG time !

I've semi decided to go for MM by end of '16 ... 40K BIS this year, 40K next ... but to do it on trips or at "worst" long weekends somewhere I want to go to.

I just did a P fare to HNL and will probable do another in Apr which will get me Silver and E+ through Jan 17'

... then I'll probably do a combo of long WE to SEA, LAS, and other cheapo domestics combined with "reasonable" P fares
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Whoa !!!

... probably would have endured the pain in previous years, but I'm a GM and don't even have E+ for the first time in a LONG time !

I've semi decided to go for MM by end of '16 ... 40K BIS this year, 40K next ... but to do it on trips or at "worst" long weekends somewhere I want to go to.

I just did a P fare to HNL and will probable do another in Apr which will get me Silver and E+ through Jan 17'

... then I'll probably do a combo of long WE to SEA, LAS, and other cheapo domestics combined with "reasonable" P fares
I just did a Feb 27th - Feb 28th IAD-HNL P-fare MR. Got it for $1500, this netted me 14700 PQM's and About 35K RDMs (24K through MR + 8K for Premium bonus that UA ran +4.5K through my chase select card). It was tiring to do a same day turn, but the crew took really good care of me . Even got upgraded to Global First (seat 1C) on my IAH-IAD leg!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
anything good over good friday wkd?

I'm looking for a run over the first weekend in April - striking out on some of usual suspects - LAS, DFW etc.

Anyone see anything good? Would even consider a P fare if lie flat.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midtownapsk
I'm looking for a run over the first weekend in April - ...
People travel Easter WE ... pickin's were slim when I looked.

I ended up booking the following WE, pseudo run, to HNL as fares were much better.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
People travel Easter WE ... pickin's were slim when I looked.

I ended up booking the following WE, pseudo run, to HNL as fares were much better.
What flights and how much did you book em for? and what dates?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:24 pm

UA:$220 BWI-LAS 5556PQM 3.94cpm

Looks like it's still possible to do LAS for under 4cpm:

UA:$220 BWI-LAS 5556PQM (w/ 500mi min) 3.94cpm NAU14AKN
Wed 6 May
UA4907 BWI-EWR 1358-1509 DH4
UA1041 EWR-LAS 1621-1901 738
UA1572 LAS-LAX 2032-2145 738
UA1274 LAX-BWI 2240-0650+1 738

http://goo.gl/flights/NI7Q

This date allows the elusive routing thru LAX on N-fare. Also possible to depart earlier, same routing, on Tue 12 May for $230.

Unfortunately, this itinerary is only 184PQD, so will generate up to 2024RDM (for 1K), as compared to 11112RDM pre-3/1. Although this doesn't alter PQM toward status, it does reduce the total value of RDM you get back. As I redeem at 2cpm (or better), the RDM "refund" of $40.48 is much lower than the previous $222.24, so this trip now costs $181.76 more, in my view. Looking at it this way, the new program really hurts mileage runs!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: MP Gold, Hertz President's Circle, PC Platinum Elite, Marriott Gold
Be careful, the $194 is BWI-(SFO)-LAS-EWR-BWI is a STOP in SFO, so you may get less miles than you think, as SFO won't be credited.
Just returning to this thread to confirm that even though SFO is technically a stop on the BWI-LAS flight with a change of plane in SFO, it did credit as two separate segments without any additional shenanigans on my part (splitting segments by asking CS or booking separately etc.). So definitely a YMMV situation.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by indiagenie
Just returning to this thread to confirm that even though SFO is technically a stop on the BWI-LAS flight with a change of plane in SFO, it did credit as two separate segments without any additional shenanigans on my part (splitting segments by asking CS or booking separately etc.). So definitely a YMMV situation.
Wow that is great news!

The routing rules definitely don't allow SFO as a transfer, so this is amazing. Hopefully, this is a global change that came when they rolled out the new MP program.

Now thinking: I recall seeing a BOS-IAD flight with a stop in LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.