Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Attention Mileage Runners...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club

First of all, thank you to those that are ITA wizards that track down these awesome deals. I did my first MR in March on the DL ORD-IST run and despite what some people think of me and my mental status, it was everything I dreamed it could be! I had a blast!

I already travel quite a bit for work. I average 2 weeks one month and 3 the next. I can easily hit DL PM on my domestic travel and for now until MQDs start, am doing the runs to hit DM.

My question to all of you....are you married? I had a difficult time convincing my wife that doing the IST run was a 'good idea'. It is not about the money - I have vouchers I need to use up from last year and the extra is not a problem for us.

If you are married and already travel, how do you convince your other half to let you go. All methods of pursuasion given will be greatly appreciated as I prepare to get 'permission' to do the JNB run
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:11 am

This topic should be moved to the discussion forum,

but to add:
I've explained to my partner the mid and long term goals of this, including elite status and a mountain on banked miles meant for us, to travel around the world in the front of the plane. This did the trick.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by orr333
First of all, thank you to those that are ITA wizards that track down these awesome deals. I did my first MR in March on the DL ORD-IST run and despite what some people think of me and my mental status, it was everything I dreamed it could be! I had a blast!

I already travel quite a bit for work. I average 2 weeks one month and 3 the next. I can easily hit DL PM on my domestic travel and for now until MQDs start, am doing the runs to hit DM.

My question to all of you....are you married? I had a difficult time convincing my wife that doing the IST run was a 'good idea'. It is not about the money - I have vouchers I need to use up from last year and the extra is not a problem for us.

If you are married and already travel, how do you convince your other half to let you go. All methods of pursuasion given will be greatly appreciated as I prepare to get 'permission' to do the JNB run
How I handle this is make sure my wife knows why I'm doing the MR and that she will get a nice benefit when I reach the status I'm going for. I end up doing a couple of these every year to hit AS 75k status. Take her someplace nice and use the status. That is the best way to get her to let you go for a day or two.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
I just take her with me on every trip - never a complaint

Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat
While status is often harder to explain and justify, it always helps when explaining the value of the miles I get from a run. "You went all the way to Brazil for a day?" "Yes, for that $450 fare, I got 30,000 miles, which is a free one-way ticket from SFO-Istanbul or NYC-Bangkok."

The problem is the opportunity cost of that time. If you're already gone 2 or 3 weeks out of every month, then it doesn't really seem to be about the mileage run at all, and nothing you say about its benefits will really make a difference. It is instead about the fact that you're choosing to spend your limited amount of free time somewhere other than with your spouse. I'm sure they would have the same kind of objections if you were taking a few more days out of the month traveling to see a band or a sports team you loved. So treat it like that -- raw economic calculations about the value of status or miles won't be helpful if your spouse values their time with you more than money.

Explain to them that this is a hobby for you, something that you can justify economically but, like you said, something that was a blast for you. You can't explain why you love MRs, miles, and status any more than you can explain why you love the Rolling Stones or the Giants. Even invite them along on your next MR -- show them that this isn't something you're doing to get away from them, but something that you're really enthusiastic about and love doing. Most people would not like to go on an MR and are probably not cut out for it, but the gesture is important. Maybe even try to take a same-day turnaround and make it a two or three day vacation run -- even if that doesn't work out with schedules and fares, it is also a really good gesture.

If your spouse is having to give up time with you when you go for a MR, what kinds of things can you give up for your spouse? What kind of crazy adventures do they want to go on? And those might not involve traveling tens of thousands of miles, but could be something that takes as much time but is far closer to home. We all understand that the rest of the world thinks MRs are crazy, terrible things they would never, ever do. Is there something your spouse loves in a similar way, which you might think you'd never want to do in your life, but you might be willing to because you love them?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I've recently reminded my better half of the benefits of mileage running 1) in first class on the way to Hawaii, 2) in the airport before our friends' wedding, and 3) on the way home after her first time in Italy.

As someone else mentioned, explaining the benefits in the tangible way helps.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:04 am

I never mileage run just for miles. However, I will use this forum to find "good deals" to make a vacation out of. For example, I spent a week in Instanbal last Christmas. Getting the miles is great, and it doesn't always have to be under the 4 cent mark -- but if you can find a good deal to a reasonable destination and are FLEXIBLE in your vacation destinations, why not take advantage of the situation?

Doing a 0 or 1 day turn to such a location IMHO is stupid and a waste of money. Why not get the miles and a vacation out of it?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
(a) we do the MR's together, and we both enjoy the benefits that come with status for the flight, hotel, etc.

(b) we stopped doing pure MR's and now we stay at the destination for at least a day and sometimes several days so it becomes a mini-vacation; for instance we've recently enjoyed short stays in PVG, IST, and CPT
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
My wife and I go everywhere together so it's never an issue.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by johndoe123
I never mileage run just for miles. However, I will use this forum to find "good deals" to make a vacation out of. For example, I spent a week in Instanbal last Christmas. Getting the miles is great, and it doesn't always have to be under the 4 cent mark -- but if you can find a good deal to a reasonable destination and are FLEXIBLE in your vacation destinations, why not take advantage of the situation?

Doing a 0 or 1 day turn to such a location IMHO is stupid and a waste of money. Why not get the miles and a vacation out of it?
That's the way I see things as well. And indeed, taking her along or showing her the benefits (last year, our two BP beeping for an upgrade at the gate did the trick without any explanation ) is the best way to deal with it.
Oh, and if you're going by yourself, then I'm sure a small gift from your destination can't hurt!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
It probably wouldn't be helpful to say something like, "Remember that Mark Sanford, the former governor of South Carolina? He got a ton of miles flying all the way to Argentina and back 'cause that's a long way!"
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Back in 08 when I first started obsessing the wife just didn't "get it." But when she started reaping the benifits she came around.....

She really enjoyed flying J over the pond at economy prices. In December we are taking a family trip to Thailand riding in the pointy end of the plane, using SPG points to pay for all of the lodging, now she is very excited and gets it.

Perhaps your spouse needs an experience or two like my spouse and she too will be hooked.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
I am lucky, wife seemed to understand the benefits right away, actually before we were married. We used to do them together and also both did them independently. Her work travel has greatly reduced though and with kids now airline status is a thing of the past for her for now. I am pretty much out of the game too. Did one MR last year to make 1K for the GPUs which we just used on a family trip. We'll see what this year holds but may end up dropping 1K for the first time in 5 years.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by DBCme
This topic should be moved to the discussion forum,

but to add:
I've explained to my partner the mid and long term goals of this, including elite status and a mountain on banked miles meant for us, to travel around the world in the front of the plane. This did the trick.
I just make sure I don't plan a MR while something big is going on. birthday's etc.

And when I'm gone my bf usually takes advantage of my absence and has a boys night out..
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My husband sometimes comes with me on a MR but he's working and doesn't always have the time. He questions whether it's worth it just to maintain my 1K status. But then when we fly to Europe and he gets a lay-flat bed with down comforter, he's pretty happy. Not to mention the first class upgrades on domestic flights. I also don't share the MR "habit" with very many people because they just do not get it. We are a weird group, aren't we??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.