MR help from Bos - Needed 8,300 Qualifying Miles

Subscribe
Hi Everyone,

I hope I am posting this in the right location and I apologize in advance if I mess up this first post.

I am based in BOS and need 8,300 miles to get to Gold status. I am able to travel Dec 21-23 (24th is possible returning early) and Dec 27-30th.

I tried searching some of the route paths I saw in other threads (Bos-EWR-Seattle-Miami-EWR-Bos). But, prices were extremley high. I did this search on United's site via multiple airport search option. Maybe this is my issue and I should be searching it another way.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you!
Hi there:

Do you have a budget in mind? Are you willing to fly partners and internationally?
max $s?
Too bad you can't fly this weekend. BOS-MUC-IST is $1,032 on LH, even with the choice of a 10-hr layover in MUC, if you wanted. 9,630 miles. (Yes, I'm trying to tempt you!)
I knew I was missing something! I would love if I could keep it around $1,000.

AeroWesty, you are doing a very very good job at tempting me! I sadly have something this Friday and Sunday that I can't get out of, otherwise that would fit perfectly.
And yes I am willing to fly partners and internationally. I really need to double check how many round trips I flew with United. I believe this year you need 4 or 5 to be eligible.
Best I can come up with is Dec 23 to HNL on US, but with fairly long layovers in PHX. 10,412 miles for $1,476. No UA metal in there though.

It's even approaching $1,000 just for California.

You might actually be better off buying PQMs, unless someone can come up with something better.
how many pqm can you buy?....theres an accelerator thingy....
With the paid flights on United requirement, is it round trip purchases? I have three round trip and a one way back from Europe.

I wish I learned about all of this sooner. I never realized you could to a PQM accelerator after the regular miles offer. Where could I buy PQM? I did the ask a robot on united.com and only gave me the accelerator option.

Thank you AeroWesty for the help. The Hawaii option may be best bet if PQM does not work. I picked the wrong time of the year to try and mileage run.
Quote: how many pqm can you buy?
Jeepers it's really started to climb. According to this post, an FT'er was just offered 30K elite miles for a jaw-dropping $6,000.

DL sells a max of 10K per year for $995. US will let you buy Chairman's outright for $3,995.
Quote: With the paid flights on United requirement, is it round trip purchases? I have three round trip and a one way back from Europe.
You need 4 segments on UA metal within the calendar year, no codeshares, to qualify for status. So you could actually get all 4 on just one round-trip. Sounds like you're covered as long as you can see 4 individual segments on your statement.
I just booked BOS-EWR-ZRH-IST-EWR-BOS departing this Friday, return Sunday.
That means 24 hours in IST from noon Sat to noon Sun.
What do I do?
Quote: I just booked BOS-EWR-ZRH-IST-EWR-BOS departing this Friday, return Sunday.
That means 24 hours in IST from noon Sat to noon Sun.
What do I do?
Depends on how you do with overnight flights and how much you want to see. There is a ton to see/do in IST.

You could easily see the Haghia Sophia and then the Blue Mosque (or vise versa). They are about a 5-10 min walk between the two. I would go to Hagia Sophia because it closes earlier. I spent about 1.5 hours inside, but its at your leisure so you can spend what you would like. Blue Mosque is a quick visit, but very cool to see.

Then the Grand Bazaar isn't too far from there. Maybe a 15-20 min walk. You can get the experience and maybe find some fun things to buy. There is also the Spice Bazaar...but on such a short trip unless you love Spice's you can skip this.

You could then take the tram over the bridge to the new Istanbul. Or even just get off at the Bridge and walk around. If you like seafood, you can get some fresh food there. Also get get some cheap beer and hang out by the water. (there is another area for even better seafood, but its off the beaten path and will take some time).

Then I'd take the tram up to Taksim square. Cool to see at night time and there is a pedestrian street with shops and restaurants (which leads back to the bridge..so you could always just find it and walk up it after the bridge).

Palaces are nice if you like that sort of thing, but you will have to check if they are open (closed on certain days).

The other option is to spend the afternoon at a Turkish bath and relax after/before the long flight.
Just did a similar run to ANC for 8700 miles on DL for $480; there were similar trips on UA this past weekend. However, not much going forwards, although there are some quick turns leaving right around xmas. Good routing BOS-IAH-SEA-ANC
ANC is a great idea. I've been running several searches again after more inventory was opened up in lower fare classes overnight:

$1,105.82 8,879 miles

Dec 28 US BOS-PHX-ANC
Dec 29 UA ANC-SEA-EWR-BOS