Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage runs when you don't live in a hub city?

Mileage runs when you don't live in a hub city?

Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Mileage runs when you don't live in a hub city? (UA)

I'm in Ohio with the closes United hub being ORD. I see all of these great mileage run deals, but they always involve hubs. Are there any secrets besides paying to get to that hub to get these deals? The cheapest CPM I can seem to get is around 0.05 cpm which I hear is expensive. Paying to get to the hub to start the MR makes the discounted trip not worth it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Snareman; Oct 22, 2012 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by Snareman
I'm in Ohio with the closes United hub being ORD. I see all of these great mileage run deals, but they always involve hubs. Are there any secrets besides paying to get to that hub to get these deals? The cheapest CPM I can seem to get is around 0.05 cpm which I hear is expensive. Paying to get to the hub to start the MR makes the discounted trip not worth it.

Thanks.
I think you mean 5 cpm..... .05 cpm would be super cheap, almost free.

I have had to position myself to Dayton, Ohio to pick up some great deals in the past....also to San Diego and Seattle. I use miles for one-ways and creative routing to get back home.

Keep updated on deals from anywhere, one will come along so cheap, it will be worth the price to get to the starting aerodrome.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airboss
I think you mean 5 cpm..... .05 cpm would be super cheap, almost free.

I have had to position myself to Dayton, Ohio to pick up some great deals in the past....also to San Diego and Seattle. I use miles for one-ways and creative routing to get back home.

Keep updated on deals from anywhere, one will come along so cheap, it will be worth the price to get to the starting aerodrome.
Oops, yes. 5cpm. Forgot what I was abbreviating there. Dayton is where I am.

Interesting idea using miles to get to the starting city. I guess the idea is that the goal is to accru the miles for the credit so I can get to the next level as opposed to just banking the miles. I'm trying to get 15k miles before the end of the year to get to Gold which might be ambitious since I currently have no more business trips planned. I guess its just a matter of if I want to spend the $~900 on 3 days of flying to get it. Thanks for the idea.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Oops, yes. 5cpm. Forgot what I was abbreviating there. Dayton is where I am.

Interesting idea using miles to get to the starting city. I guess the idea is that the goal is to accru the miles for the credit so I can get to the next level as opposed to just banking the miles. I'm trying to get 15k miles before the end of the year to get to Gold which might be ambitious since I currently have no more business trips planned. I guess its just a matter of if I want to spend the $~900 on 3 days of flying to get it. Thanks for the idea.
Right, you have to just decide if the extra miles and lounge access is worth the time and cash outlay. I fly trans-pacific, so lounges and bonus miles are good payoffs.

Good luck in finding a deal. Check mile deals here, even out of Dayton, you could snag a long trip to Argentina over a weekend, not a bad way earn gold. The steaks are fantastic !!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Isn't CLE a bit closer. Not sure it's a United hub but I know Continental use to use it as a hub so I'm just guessing. Just found CLE-IAD-SEA-IAD-CLE for 4.4cpm on Nov10/11(red eye back)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you are looking at the ua mr from cle/cak/pit thread ....sju can be good via sfo/lax...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by clacko
you are looking at the ua mr from cle/cak/pit thread ....sju can be good via sfo/lax...
What? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
Isn't CLE a bit closer. Not sure it's a United hub but I know Continental use to use it as a hub so I'm just guessing. Just found CLE-IAD-SEA-IAD-CLE for 4.4cpm on Nov10/11(red eye back)
You're right. Cleveland is also sort of a hub with the merger. When trying to build these complex MR's, what is the easiest way to figure out the cheapest day for the combo of all the flights? On 11/10 that trip is $250 but on 11/13 its $100 more
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:57 am

You're right. Cleveland is also sort of a hub with the merger. When trying to build these complex MR's, what is the easiest way to figure out the cheapest day for the combo of all the flights? On 11/10 that trip is $250 but on 11/13 its $100 more
If you go to United.com and then you select make reservation. On the Flight Search screen I check the radio button that says "Search for Lower Fairs +/- 3 Days"

Sometimes that will give you a lower fare...have to be a bit more flexible with your time though.

I don't really have a method to my madness. Many people on this site get crazy with learning fare codes and using ITA. It's almost like learning a new language lol
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
What? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.
look at that thread is what i mean....corrected my post...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

If you go to United.com and then you select make reservation. On the Flight Search screen I check the radio button that says "Search for Lower Fairs +/- 3 Days"

Sometimes that will give you a lower fare...have to be a bit more flexible with your time though.

I don't really have a method to my madness. Many people on this site get crazy with learning fare codes and using ITA. It's almost like learning a new language lol
But you have to build the trip with the Multiple Destinations page right? And I don't see that search for a lower fare on that page. Only if you're doing a regular round trip or one way from the initial page. Or is the technique more just to try regular round trips and see what you can come up with? Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 am

Snareman, read this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...e-cak-pit.html
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks. There is some helpful info there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.