Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't MR through Home Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador

Currently MRing ATL-BOS-ATL-LAS-ATL-BOS-ATL-LAS-ATL.

At just under 11,000, this is the shortest MR I've ever done. Being from ATL I generally have to position so try to get my money's worth by stacking a few days or just doing long-haul intl MRs. That being said, I find it extremely demotivating to continually go through my home airport.

I'm currently on the last ATL-BOS leg and I'm seriously considering stopping on the BOS-ATL return and skipping the ATL-LAS-ATL legs. I realize this is a poor decision and I'll regret throwing away 3,500 EQMs, (not to mention redeemables).

HELP ME STAY MOTIVATED. Seriously, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
HELP ME STAY MOTIVATED. Seriously, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pick your favorite food/beer joint at ATL - being ATL based you should have one - go straight there and stay until it's time to board.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
The good news is that you have the Wheel of Fortune slots to look forward to in LAS!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k

At just under 11,000, this is the shortest MR I've ever done. Being from ATL I generally have to position so try to get my money's worth by stacking a few days or just doing long-haul intl MRs. That being said, I find it extremely demotivating to continually go through my home airport.

I'm currently on the last ATL-BOS leg and I'm seriously considering stopping on the BOS-ATL return and skipping the ATL-LAS-ATL legs. I realize this is a poor decision and I'll regret throwing away 3,500 EQMs, (not to mention redeemables).

C'mon, man. You've already paid for the flights and you're already at the airport. If you skip your last segments it's like your whole MR will be for naught. Think what it'll do to your CPM!

Use this as a learning experience for next time, but don't give up now!

Treat yourself to something nice in ATL as a reward/motivation to stick it out.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Thanks all. Onward.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried the ND76 IIRC game of visiting all the ATL SCs?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
That being said, I find it extremely demotivating to continually go through my home airport.
To each his own. I actually prefer to pass through my home airport, and strive to engineer overnight stops there so I can sleep in my own bed instead of looking/paying for a hotel in some strange city.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by aktchi
To each his own. I actually prefer to pass through my home airport, and strive to engineer overnight stops there so I can sleep in my own bed instead of looking/paying for a hotel in some strange city.
Wow, never thought of that. I'm an idiot, I could have done that.

Kudos for the idea.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had something similar happen. I was living in Phoenix and drove to Tucson (130 or so miles) to catch a flight out of there. The next day I flew TUS-PHX-SAN. It was really disorienting walking through PHX after a flight and not leaving
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by aktchi
Same. I've had maybe one or two MRs where I actually spent a night at the destination out of plenty where I haven't. Though, I am on a coast, and taking a lot of redeyes from the west coast back towards the east isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

Stay tough. I never have this problem originating from TUS.

But remember...the actual flight is only component of the pain.

With the :-: best in class :-: DL SM, you're about to be FBARTR'ed....which means, all the pain you experienced here won't yield the return you want unless you use those SM now.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
did the lihue (Kauai, Hawaii)/edmonton MR last week

had to nest it in a nyc/lih run to position. Had come out of the NYC/IAD/IST/MLE (maldives) 3 day trip a few days before.

we arrived in LIH, having flown LGA/IAH/LAX/LIH and were turning around in three hours for edmonton (LIH/LAX/DEN/Edmonton) with an overnight in edmonton.

we were doing all up front with a combination of regional upgrades and courtesy upgrades.

we almost got of the run in LIH, to skip the $240 r/t ai MR to edmonton.
through pep talks, we managed to get back on the plane...and were happy we did. 10,000 more or less qualifying miles, that many fewer to reach 1K through year end 2014 and relax.

download some movies on your ipad, get a good book, treat yourself to an airport massage...

win one for the gipper!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I expected something a little more interesting from this thread. Like a TSA inquisition, getting recognized by familiar agents..... something.

Then again, I usually expect something more from SkyMiles, and am usually disappointed there as well.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
If it makes you happy, I was recognized by flight crew on lih/lax

Originally Posted by hobo13
I expected something a little more interesting from this thread. Like a TSA inquisition, getting recognized by familiar agents..... something.

Then again, I usually expect something more from SkyMiles, and am usually disappointed there as well.
flew into lih and left 3-4 hours later, when we returned the following evening, the crew recognized us and started a conversation about how some travellers (clearly not us!) would fly just for lots of miles. :-)

we looked suitably shocked! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.