Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not your typical MR question, I need short milage help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG/Hyatt Gold

Currently UA Gold and fly out of ORD.

Due to a cancelled european trip a few weeks ago because of a death in the family I'm finding myself a whopping 141 miles short of Platinum status with United. I realize that I can take a flight pretty much anywhere to achieve the 500 mile minimum flight miles as an existing Mileage Plus Gold member. But I would like to complete this trip sooner rather than later due to the fact that I'd like to reach Platinum soon so that a trip I'm taking in January with 4 family members I can add them to E+ seating. I'd rather do this in the next few weeks before the E+ seats are gone. So given my dilemma, does anyone have pointers for finding a low cost roundtrip fare out of Chicago going pretty much anywhere (though places like Milwaukee, Detroit, Indy are preferred since I don't really need the heavy miles in this case). I've looked around a bit and anything I'm seeing in the next few weeks is around $200-300 which seems silly to spent to get 141 miles. Ideally I'd like a same day turn (especially if I can find one that turns around 45-75 minutes later on the way back).

Thanks much and go easy on a FT n00b please.

Shawn
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ord-mke is $99 1 way $198 rt on some dates...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I would search using Kayak Explore com. Put in Chicago as your originating city and put in budget under $200. Several options come up, but I haven't checked to see if they're on your preferred airline.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
ORD-IND-ORD on 11/23 for $165.50

UA3482
Depart: 12:00 PM
Arrive: 1:54 PM

UA3784
Depart: 3:37 PM
Arrive: 3:43 PM

A bit longer than 75 minute layover, but decent price.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:03 pm

Here are a few examples from ITA Matrix: ORD-FWA on Nov 23rd (Black Friday) for $140, ORD-MKG on Nov 24th for $164 and ORD-MKE on Dec 1st for $160.

You can use ITA and choose ORD as your originating airport and then click the nearby button next to destination airport field and type in ORD and include nearby airports within XXX miles. Search an entire month, set length of stay to 0 nights and uncheck allow airport changes.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/?showPricePerMile=true
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
whats the cost to buy the e+seats?

edit to add....the $99 1 way fare is 14 day advance...

next mon tue wed ord-mke 1 way is $169....

Last edited by clacko; Nov 9, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
All:

OP's best bet for many reasons is getting Award Accelerator, and he/she can get this done today for $65.

OP:

1. Buy PHL-EWR anytime, anydate, on united.com, wait for it to ticket.
2. Go back in and say 'yes' to extra miles. Say yes to the Double Elite miles.
3. Buy the miles and PQM, and wait a few to see it post.
4. Once it posts, cancel the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.